KARK News Director: ‘It’s Time to Dump the Babe Bracket’

RadioInsight Community Forums South Central Arkansas KARK News Director: ‘It’s Time to Dump the Babe Bracket’

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Bill Recto 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Bill Recto
    Participant

KARK News Director: ‘It’s Time to Dump the Babe Bracket’

Opinion: It’s Time to End the Babe Bracket

Taylor Swift Groper David Mueller Returns To Radio In Moorhead MS

Note Austin Kellerman a News Director of KARK-TV written an op ed saying things about how a local radio station has been doing what is now questionable segment called “The Babe Bracket” Yes the ND calls out on hosts from “103.7 The buzz” over this segment given the conditions we are in today over harassment.

Ask most listeners of “The Show with No Name” on 103.7 The Buzz about the Babe Bracket and they’ll tell you it’s all in good fun. They’ll say it’s meant to be harmless. But the days of referring to educated women who serve as role models to our children as “babes” are over. It’s time to evolve with the times.

At the end of last year, I heard show host Tommy Smith say he wanted to end the bracket.  For those who might not be familiar with the practice, the popular show plots 16 local television journalists on a bracket and allows listeners to decide who makes it to the next round.  Since making that announcement, Tommy has seemingly waffled on whether to put a definitive stop to this longtime March tradition.

You should know I’m a fan of “The Show With No Name.” For the last 6 years, Tommy, Roger, David, and R.J. have served as the soundtrack to my drive to work. Like you, I laugh at Wrestling Man, wait for Sterling’s “Truth,” and wish Fake Lou Holtz was still around. The team does great work on the radio, an exceptional job spotlighting area events and happenings, and has essentially become a marketing tool for what’s good in Arkansas.

For all those reasons, it’s even more important they dump the Babe Bracket.

Let use this recent clip from KATV and Meteorologist Melinda Mayo as an example. It’s been viewed nearly 200,000 times and is labeled “a message to all young girls.”  Take a minute to watch it if you haven’t already seen it.

So are we going to go from that clip to putting Melinda Mayo in the Babe Bracket? I don’t think so.

Over the last year, we’ve seen a movement aimed at transforming the way society views women.  The days of blatant objectification of women are ending.  And at the end of the day, whether it’s meant to be harmless or not, that’s what this is…

As I noted above, “The Show With No Name” and 103.7 The Buzz do an outstanding job highlighting the positive in Arkansas.  If you want to celebrate the women of local television, let’s focus on their efforts to get foster children into permanent homes, raise awareness for colon cancer, promote area groups making a difference, and tell stories that transform our state for the better.  Let’s spotlight the fact they’re scientists, working moms, law school students, church leaders, and motivational speakers.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php