KQV to go off air after Dec 31

RadioInsight Community Forums Mid-Atlantic Pittsburgh KQV to go off air after Dec 31

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 21 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  phil z 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

raccoonradio
    Participant

Eric Jon Magnuson
    Participant

Bill Recto
    Participant

Wow good bye to KQV but also its interesting to note that some of the articles said that KQV was one of a few all News stations to be family run though.

semoochie

Wow good bye to KQV but also its interesting to note that some of the articles said that KQV was one of a few all News stations to be family run though.

QuoteThere are only a few All News stations remaining!

phil z
    Participant

If they sell the transmitter site the license will be of no use, KQV 1410 is squeezed in pretty tight  using 3 towers durning the day and 5 at night.

Warren Hodges Jr
    Participant

Does anybody know how KQV , one of the oldest stations in the country got themselves hemed into such a tight directional signal, if they where on the air almost since the beginning?

Beachguy
    Participant

In 1928, the station was moved to 1380 by a large realignment of stations. In 1942, it was moved to 1410 by another realignment, along with all other stations at 1380. I suspect, though can’t confirm, that their very tight pattern was a result of a power increase.

Warren Hodges Jr
    Participant

In 1928, the station was moved to 1380 by a large realignment of stations. In 1942, it was moved to 1410 by another realignment, along with all other stations at 1380. I suspect, though can’t confirm, that their very tight pattern was a result of a power increase.

Thank you for your response. I live in New York’s Mid- Hudson Valley well outside their service area.I suspect you are correct ,but they must have started out fairly low powered 5K is nothing great. It would make sense if they are on a “local”frequency. I would have thought they could have done better way back in the early 20’s The realignment as you said affected many stations.

Eric Jon Magnuson
    Participant

Thank you for your response. I live in New York’s Mid- Hudson Valley well outside their service area.I suspect you are correct ,but they must have started out fairly low powered 5K is nothing great. It would make sense if they are on a “local”frequency. I would have thought they could have done better way back in the early 20’s The realignment as you said affected many stations.

WPGP (the historical WCAE) and WJAS both date back almost as far, but also are Class B–although probably not as directional.  Might WWVA becoming a clear channel have prevented Pittsburgh from getting a second one?

semoochie

Quote  5KW was the maximum power for a regional channel until about 20 years ago.

MTN Productions
    Participant

Any plans for KQV? I hope there’s going to be some special programming on New Year’s Eve on reminiscing KQV back when they had classic radio like “Jack Benny”, “The Lone Ranger” and others, along with the Top 40 era when it was “14-KQV” where they had Rod Roddy, and others all the way to news radio from 1975 to the end, including the ill-fated NBC’s “News & Information Service” which was a short-lived national news format, and so many memories of KQV? I would love to hear a special programming coming up next Sunday on KQV.

This is going to be another sad day in radio for those of you have heard KSWD’s “The Sound” in Los Angeles where they ended its classic rock format last month, and also the end of WGHT as an oldies/classic hits station in Pompton Lakes, NJ, KQV is the last station to go. I will be recording this New Year’s Eve. After this is over when 2018 comes in, I will Ben posting it.

MTN Productions
    Participant

After catching the final hour of KQV concluding with “When Radio Was” at 11 PM, after finished listening, Bob Dickey Jr. made his final announcement until the station signed off forever at midnight when 2018 has arrived. There was no goodbyes to the people at the station, no history of KQV or anything like that. No KQV’s history from being a Top 40 radio station from 1958 through 1975, nothing. All they had left is a final sign-off. This is what I just posted as of earlier today. Take a listen to Bob Dickey Jr. and his final sign-off of KQV from earlier tonight. Enjoy!

raccoonradio
    Participant

Is something up?Someone posted on the I Love AM Radio group on Facebook that they were hearing Bloomberg radio this morning on KQV’s stream, with a top of the hr ID but admitted he was listening in OK and now hears nothing but a dead air signal on the stream.(I checked out TuneIn and also got dead air signal–am not in Pitt area).I guess the station had run some Bloomberg and yes this is just the stream, but…

raccoonradio
    Participant

Scott Fybush said on FB that KQV is off air but once in awhile the automation spasms and throws a program in…
    Multi-Quote This Message

Nathan Obral
    Participant

Does anybody know how KQV , one of the oldest stations in the country got themselves hemed into such a tight directional signal, if they where on the air almost since the beginning?

They were co-owned with WJAS in the 1930s and early 1940s, and WJAS wound up with the better signal.

KQV upgraded to 5kW in 1947, but it was a signal best suited for the pre-suburb-sprawl Pittsburgh of the 1950s and 1960s.

There are only a few All News stations remaining!

And even then, KQV was only all-news from 5am to 7pm on weekdays. It wasn’t even “all-news, all the time,” and hadn’t been for years.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php