Longest-affiliated stations

RadioInsight Community Forums Radio History History Of Radio Longest-affiliated stations

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  High Tides 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

High Tides
    Participant

Several years ago, IIRC, I asked if anyone could name any radio stations out there that have been affiliated with the same network for fifty years or more.  It was difficult to come up with very many, and now that NBC Radio (as we once knew it) has bitten the dust, I’m wondering if we could put together a current list.   Three that I know of are WPKZ (formerly WEIM) in Fitchburg, MA, which has been an ABC affiliate since 1968;  WKBK (formerly WKNE) in Keene, NH, which has been with CBS since 1941; and New Orleans’ WWL, which joined CBS in 1935.

Former network O&Os don’t count.

rickb
    Participant

WOND Pleasantville NJ (Atlantic City) is an ABC affiliate, and is in the Broadcasting Yearbooks as such going back to 1965.

rickb
    Participant

Since nobody else is biting, I’ll add a list of NBC stations with affiliation dates of 1936 or before from Broadcasting, June 9, 1986. Accuracy, theirs and mine, not guaranteed. WNBC, WMAQ and KNBR excluded as O&Os.

KMJ Fresno CA 12-31-36
    KPRC Houston TX 1-15-28
    WAPI Birmingham AL 3-24-29
    WDAY Fargo ND 3-15-31
    WFLA Tampa FL 5-30-30
    WGY Schenectady NY 1-1-27
    WHO Des Moines IA 9-4-27
    WMIS Natchez MS 9-10-35
    WOOD Grand Rapids MI 9-15-35
    WPTF Raleigh NC 5-15-29
    WRVA Richmond VA 1-7-29
    WSM Nashville TN 1-9-27
    WSYR Syracuse NY 10-22-36
    WTAG Worcester MA 11-15-26 (Day One)
    WTIC Hartford CT 11-15-26 (Day One)
    WTMJ Milwaukee WI 8-15-27

High Tides
    Participant

Wow.  And almost all of ’em left the network once Westwood One took over and began to disembowel it.  I remember when WGY bolted after 70 years — noisily and not pulling any punches, in a front-page article in the Schenectady Daily Gazette.    The station affiliated with CBS for a year or two, then joined ABC and later Fox.  CBS made a big thing of the affiliation on the day it happened; Charles Osgood devoted his morning broadcast to it.

Mario500
    Participant

Wow. And almost all of ’em left the network once Westwood One took over and began to disembowel it. I remember when WGY bolted after 70 years — noisily and not pulling any punches, in a front-page article in the Schenectady Daily Gazette. The station affiliated with CBS for a year or two, then joined ABC and later Fox. CBS made a big thing of the affiliation on the day it happened; Charles Osgood devoted his morning broadcast to it.

Could you explain the “broadcast” mentioned in the message above.

High Tides
    Participant

I don’t have a recording, but on the day WGY joined CBS, Charles Osgood, on his morning five-minute CBS program, welcomed the station and told a bit about WGY’s distinguished history.  He concluded it by talking about General Electric’s part-ownership of NBC in the network’s early years, and the legend (not true) of how G-E-C on the musical scale, corresponding to the NBC chimes, supposedly alluded to the tie between the two.   Then he said, “This is Charles Osgood . . . (long pause) on the (pause) CBS Radio Network.”  I remember this broadcast very well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php