Louisville radio history questions

RI Community Forums Midwest Kentucky Louisville radio history questions

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of WhyINever WhyINever 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ksradiogeek
    ksradiogeek
    Participant

Hello! I’m working on filling some holes in radio histories with a few frequencies. I’ve tried to look in various trade magazines and old Courier-Journal articles, but keep coming up empty (Wikipedia isn’t much help either). If anyone can help me out, that would be terrific. The frequencies I need help researching on are:
    900, 1080, 93.1 (pre-The Beat), 94.7, 98.9, 101.7, 105.1, 105.9 and 107.7.

Thank you!

Profile photo of WhyINever
    WhyINever
    Participant

Have you searched the archives at http://www.americanradiohistory.com? Another option: newspapers.com.

Likely more accurate than a personal recollection you might find here.

ksradiogeek
    Participant

I did sign up for a free one week trial from Newspapers (and probably plan on going for a full month). I do use ARH when I can, but even they can be sometimes scarce on info.

WhyINever
    Participant

I certainly don’t envy you the task at hand. The key with ARH is searching those Broadcast Yearbooks. You’ll get way too many returns but patience in reading through them all can result in some good information. I would think that what you get from the C-J archives (at least prior to the sale to Gannett) will be tempered by the fact that the Binghams also owned the WHAS stations. Then add in things like Docket 80-90, move-ins and frequency changes. I’m a little surprised you can’t find a abundance of background about 900 and 1080.

ksradiogeek
    Participant

I certainly don’t envy you the task at hand. The key with ARH is searching those Broadcast Yearbooks. You’ll get way too many returns but patience in reading through them all can result in some good information. I would think that what you get from the C-J archives (at least prior to the sale to Gannett) will be tempered by the fact that the Binghams also owned the WHAS stations. Then add in things like Docket 80-90, move-ins and frequency changes. I’m a little surprised you can’t find a abundance of background about 900 and 1080.

I did find some on 1080, but there are a couple of holes (particularly when they dropped standards for talk). Still can’t find much on 900 yet. I’ll keep digging!

WhyINever
    Participant
    Profile photo of charles35080
    charles35080
    Participant

There is an excellent resource on Louisville radio history:

http://www.lkyradio.com

WhyINever
    Participant

Embarrassed to admit I’d forgotten Ted’s site. A great resource. Primary focus is pre-1990. Yet missing information on smaller signals like 900 WKYW/WFIA for example.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register

css.php