Mag 590 Changes

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Hudson Valley / Albany

With the recent “retirement” of local radio veteran Bob Green, evening host Bob Johnson has moved to afternoons on WROW. There’s now no live host after 6pm as a result of this cost cutting measure. I don’t mind if it helps 590/100.5 stay on the air. The Saturday lineup has improved with Jay Scott doing the 10am to 2pm duties and John Gabriel anchoring 2pm to 6pm.

The station’s overall sound has improved with better jingles and inserts including spotlighting certain years. I still like to see the music stay upbeat and not copy WABY so much.

Participant

That must be a good move. I love Bob Johnson on WROW’s “Magic 590/100.5” since he moved out his evening shift which his “Magic After Hours” show, but I guess “Magic After Hours” will remain in evenings playing automated music. I should listen to him right after Bob O on WGNY-FM its oldies competitor.

Participant

Disney, no plug for WLNG today??

Participant

No comment needed. Last week, I’ve listened to a little bit of Bob Johnson and he sounded good in afternoon drive rather than doing evenings. This would be a good fit for afternoons on “Magic 590/100.5”. On the hand, WLNG out in Sag Harbor had Brian “The Cannon” Bannon on in afternoons and personally love Brian “The Cannon” Bannon a lot, but Bob Johnson sounded pretty good, but I can listen to two of my favorite afternoon shows on two different stations which I can pick.
    In evenings, everything is completely jockless since they’re running oldies as “Magic After Hours” without a host. I listened to the station last week, but no DJ’s are on there. What is going on?  Why not hire an evening host for “Magic After Hours”. Bring Bill Lawrence in there. He does a good job doing fill-ins on “Magic 590/100.5”, but Bill Lawrence would be a good idea for evenings.

Participant
    What does a Long Island radio station have to do with an Albany radio station?

Participant

Just to bump this thread, after not hearing a live show on “Magic 590/100.5” for the past several months when it is still in automation, I flipped to WGNY-FM’s “Oldies 98.9”, its competitor and finally got a chance to listen to Joe Manglass. I just want to say that I love Joe Manglass, because he sounds really cool. So I chose Joe as my favorite on “Oldies 98.9” alongside Bob O on weekends, , but it’s great to listen to Joe once again and I still like it. Joe Manglass does a great job did his evening shift from 7 PM until 10 PM and then returned at 11 PM until 12 AM following “When Radio Was”. Since I don’t listened to “When Radio Was”, I flipped to “Magic 590/100.5” for an hour and then went back to “Oldies 98.9” to catch the last hour of Joe Manglass. Joe is possibly now a favorite of mine along with Scott Shannon on WCBS-FM, Bob O from “Oldies 98.9”, Brian Bannon from WLNG, Bob Johnson from “Magic 590/100.5”, and now Joe Manglass from “Oldies 98.9” has finally added to my lists of my favorites to my daily lineup.

Participant

I wish WROW would go back to live streaming outside the local region.  Any chances?

Agree.  They’re the only station I know that geo-blocks their signal on TuneIn (although I would guess there are other ones I don’t know about).  What’s the purpose?

Participant

Agree. They’re the only station I know that geo-blocks their signal on TuneIn (although I would guess there are other ones I don’t know about). What’s the purpose?

When I was in Florida, same problem there, but I can’t get “Magic 590/100.5” my TuneIn, same goes with the “Magic 590” app, and it is not playing well. When I get to Florida in three months, “Magic 590/100.5” is not going to be streaming, but instead of this, I’ll have to listen to WABY, its competitor, but they also has streaming, and it is still working, but I’ll have to check it out. WABY sounds much of the same as “Magic” does.

Participant

Since I have to bump this thread, because this topic is only a year old. As you probably know, “Magic” had some minor changes to the schedule. They added Chip Ordway to the station, because Chip was formerly of WLNG out in Sag Harbor, NY and also did the “Basement Tapes”. So as I was listening to Chip, he’s not too bad. I have an aircheck of Chip Ordway when he wasn’t sitting in for Jay Scott, Andy he is now doing the “Class Reunion” hour every morning following Jay & Ben where he took over John Gabriel’s spot. I’m glad Chip is doing a great job doing his shift. As I mentioned Chip Ordway was formerly of WLNG where he joins the “Magic” lineup after he left Long Island up north to Albany.

In addition, “Magic” is now playing a handful of 80’s hits, just like WBPM and the current WCBS-FM did, with plenty of 70’s hits and a few 50’s and 60’s hits that WGNY had during its rotation. When was the last time you’ve heard “My Sharona” by the Knack? That doesn’t belong on an oldies station, it belongs on a classic hits station. WCBS-FM and WBPM played “My Sharona” in its rotation. I guess WROW is playing tricks on us. Playing oldies mixing in with classic hits.

And just one thing about Bob Green, he sounds terrific. I’ve heard it on “Magic” when he was on about nearly 2 years ago, but now, he is now on WABY doing middays from Tuesday and Thursday at 10 AM to noon, and on Saturdays from 10 AM to 1 PM and he does an excellent job. Too bad, I don’t see his name on WABY’s website, because the program schedule is still out of date, but it needs to update the schedule since it has not been updated since 2015. And in addition, WABY is still not on the TuneIn app, but thankfully, I used an app called Radio Box and I got WABY running. The station is now playing nothing but oldies, just like WGNY and WROW did, except they throw in a few MOR/standards in there since it is never heard in the Hudson Valley in years, and thrown in a bunch of oldies in with no Janis Joplin, Led Zeppelin and other rock artists in there, but WABY is a pretty good radio station, and I’m still listening to Bob Green each and every morning. Great job! Let’s hope if Bob Green continues to do very well on WABY if the station succeeds.

Happy to report that FINALLY the WABY program schedule has been updated. Special Thanks to :”Brother Lou Roberts” of  WJKE for getting this done.

Participant

Happy to report that FINALLY the WABY program schedule has been updated. Special Thanks to :”Brother Lou Roberts” of WJKE for getting this done.

That’s good! I don’t know what other shows are on Saturday in addition to just Bob Green, but I hope it needs more.

And another thing, the WABY stream is still not on TuneIn. What happened? I remember when TuneIn had WABY on there back in mid-summer, but now it’s gone, and it still says “This station is not currently available”. I also tried the Radio Box app and it still has WABY on there and it still works finally.

I hope maybe they should write to TuneIn and bring the WABY stream back. I listen to Bob Green a lot, but I hope TuneIn needs to bring back the stream.

The Radio Box app not only carries WABY but provides an up to the minute playlist.

Also, who added these dumb faces to our posts? Mine looks like I’m mad which is wrong. How do we get rid of these stupid things?

Participant

The Radio Box app not only carries WABY but provides an up to the minute playlist.

Also, who added these dumb faces to our posts? Mine looks like I’m mad which is wrong. How do we get rid of these stupid things?

It was Lance who did the icons from this and other sites that contains mad and ugly faces as default. You can add a profile picture at any time.

Since I have to bump this thread, because this topic is only a year old. As you probably know, “Magic” had some minor changes to the schedule. They added Chip Ordway to the station, because Chip was formerly of WLNG out in Sag Harbor, NY and also did the “Basement Tapes”. So as I was listening to Chip, he’s not too bad. I have an aircheck of Chip Ordway when he wasn’t sitting in for Jay Scott, Andy he is now doing the “Class Reunion” hour every morning following Jay & Ben where he took over John Gabriel’s spot. I’m glad Chip is doing a great job doing his shift. As I mentioned Chip Ordway was formerly of WLNG where he joins the “Magic” lineup after he left Long Island up north to Albany.

Hi there!  Wow…been a long time since I logged in here, but amazingly the password still works!
    Someone steered me to this thread so I’m here just to set the record straight.  While I do have a history with WLNG as a supporting player having been associated with other ‘LNG buddies in periods going all the way back to the early 90’s, I myself have never held down an airshift there.  I’ve provided music and have indeed appeared on their airwaves with good folk like Brian Bannon in the last ten years, but sadly I’ve never done my own airshift there (although the invite from Brian is still there AFAIK!)  One day when the schedule permits I’ll get down there to take him up on it, but it’s not as easy anymore getting from Albany to Sag Harbor than it was getting from Huntington to Sag Harbor back in the day!
    And you’ve *GOT* to tell me what these “basement tapes” are!  😀
    (…..and thanks so much for the kudos on the Magic shift!)
    –Chip
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php