Mets changing stations?

RadioInsight Community Forums Northeast New York / Long Island Mets changing stations?

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Green 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Darryl
    Participant

Bruce
    Participant

I take that with a grain of salt.  WOR’s ratings are so bad, that more people will listen to the Mets than the conservative talk offered.  If so, where would the Mets go?  970 AM is a possibility since their calls are WNYM.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

I take that with a grain of salt. WOR’s ratings are so bad, that more people will listen to the Mets than the conservative talk offered. If so, where would the Mets go? 970 AM is a possibility since their calls are WNYM.

WEPN wants to say hi.

Problem for WOR is that those who listen to the Mets aren’t bothering to stick around, because there’s nothing worth listening to.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Bruce
    Participant

If 98.7 FM gets the Mets, there would have to be a suburban network of stations carrying them since the range of FM is limited.

Darryl
    Participant

If 98.7 FM gets the Mets, there would have to be a suburban network of stations carrying them since the range of FM is limited.

My guess would be WCBS AM.

Darryl
    Participant

My guess would be WCBS AM.

Bruce
    Participant

Back in the 1970s the Mets were simulcasted on 970 AM and 95.5 FM and later on 97.1 FM.  These stations had different owners.  Thus, I think it is possible that the Mets could be broadcast on 880 AM and 98.7 FM to get younger listeners who never listen to the AM band.  I tend to doubt that Entercom would want to give up significant time on one of their three music stations for sports.  Some years ago a handful of NY Giant games were heard on WCBS-FM when there was a conflict with the Yankees on WCBS-AM.

MTN Productions
    Participant

Back in the 1970s the Mets were simulcasted on 970 AM and 95.5 FM and later on 97.1 FM. These stations had different owners. Thus, I think it is possible that the Mets could be broadcast on 880 AM and 98.7 FM to get younger listeners who never listen to the AM band. I tend to doubt that Entercom would want to give up significant time on one of their three music stations for sports. Some years ago a handful of NY Giant games were heard on WCBS-FM when there was a conflict with the Yankees on WCBS-AM.

I agree with you Bruce. Let’s get it straight here. WOR-AM has been a Mets station for 5 years, but I hope this season will end when the station leaves, it would be a good decision to put it on WCBS-AM like they did with the Yankees a few years ago.

Look at other stations outside of NYC where they still carrying the Mets. In the Hudson Valley, you got WBWZ’s “Z93” where they are now carrying Mets baseball on a rock station which is a competitor to WPDH. WBWZ “Z93” is owned by iHeart, same company that owns WOR-AM, and previously, WKIP has been the Mets station in Poughkeepsie since 2013. WKIP usually carried the Mets since the 1970’s until the early 1990’s when WKIP pulled the plug on the team before iHeart put the Mets back to the station.

And then, there’s WROW’s “Magic 590/100.5” up in Albany where they are now carrying the Amazing Mets since late March and thankfully the play-by-play broadcast is now streaming via TuneIn and on the “Magic” website, but it’s not available on iHeart streams like “Z93″and WOR-AM, because, “Z93” is still streaming classic rock and WOR-AM is streaming talk instead of the Mets due to the games being blacked out, unless you get MLB’s “Gameday Audio” for $19 per season from the MLB website if you want to sign up and subscribe to “Gameday Audio”, you can.

WROW’s “Magic 590/100.5” is an oldies station, and a competitor to both WGNY-FM “Fox Oldies” and WBPM, a cross between the two stations. Many of these songs were overlapped from both WGNY-FM and WBPM, but mostly the same. By the time the Mets came on, it’s on an oldies station.

What’s going to happen if the Mets are moving to WCBS-AM, my guess would be WGNY-FM and WJGK will soon be carrying the Mets on both 98.9 and 103.1 which Ian “The Fox”, while WGNY-AM is carrying the Yankees on 1220 AM and on 105.3 as well. And I hope if the Mets are leaving WOR-AM, it will be the end of iHeart and the Mets on WBWZ’s “Z93”, but I hope this will last for a year until the Mets are looking for more affiliates in the future. But I hope WROW’s “Magic 590/100.5” will stay with the Mets right into the 2019 season.

Steve Green
    Participant

Methinks that some of the interested or eligible stations might just sit back and ‘pass’ until the next trade deadline.

I mean,  after that 25-4 shellacking (or was it 6 to 4  and ’25’ was a typo 🙂  the mood and allegiance of the Mets fans* might have diminished to the extent that an LPFM  with its broadcast element on a Citi Field light tower might get get as many radio listeners as a 5000-watt or 50000 watt station,  anyway.   So among the broadcast prospects,  WCBS 880’s new owners will be among those who can afford to be patient.

* (I grew up a bike ride south of Shea.   Imagine the ambiguity of having lived long enough to’ve witnessed the building of PLUS the demolition of Shea Stadium.)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php