New FM Sports station coming to Columbus

RI Community Forums Midwest Columbus New FM Sports station coming to Columbus

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 41 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  schmave 1 day, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author

udfan07
    Participant

In this article here (http://sportsradiopd.com/2016/10/under-the-radar-october-24-2016/) the 3rd item says this:

Look for a new sports radio station to launch soon on FM in Columbus, Ohio. iHeartradio is expected to enter the space and present an alternative to market ratings leader 97.1 The Fan. Sources tell BSM that the lineup will include a mix of local and national voices.

xmusicmatt
    Participant

Will they compete with the current 1230/105.3 station or move the sports talk from 1230/105.3 to say 105.7 and take on “The Fan” with a more powerful signal? I could see them giving 105.7’s current format a boot to 1230/105.3 or putting something else there all together and putting sports for example on 105.7.

knowbetter
    Participant

interesting….

schmave
    Participant

If they do make the move to 105.7, I hope they don’t use 105.3’s signal as an FM translator for WTVN. Wouldn’t do any good in the areas where WTVN’s signal is deficient at night.

NuRoo2
    Participant

iHeart seems to flip 93.3 yearly lately, so I wonder if that could be where a new all-sports lands?  But more likely 105.7 as Matt suggested.

schmave
    Participant

I would like it to be on 93.3. Only FM signal iHeart has that can touch 97.1. But with the news that 105.7 is now a Cavaliers affiliate, I agree that’s the logical landing spot.

Kenny Kissel
    Participant

Surprised iHeart is Considering Getting rid of 105.7  the X for Sports. Needs to consider that for Pittsburgh more then Columbus. The X is the ONLY Alt Rock Station in Columbus.  Really iHeart?

gabigley1
    Participant

I was listening to the WTVN Sunday sports program last month. The local talk show host said he was retiring from the local Sunday talk show and will be helping out the new sports station… So, it was my guess, at that time that Ihaert radio Columbus was getting ready to improve the 105.3/1230 FOX programming with local programming… Something that didn’t make a lot of sense to me at the time because of the limited signal of 1230/105.3. So, when 105.7 sports was registered a couple weeks ago, the thought occurred to me that Iheart radio Columbus may move the sports programming to from 1230/105.3 to 105.7. If this is the case, I HOPE they keep Alt Rock format in Columbus. What will then happen to 1230/105.3 if the above  happens? Maybe those frequencies will go all talk?? THOUGHTS??

Joseph_Gallant
    Participant

iHeart’s Premiere Networks is the company that distributes Fox Sports Radio, so I’d suspect that if iHeart launches an all-sports station, it will carry FSR most (or even all) of the time.

To answer Gabigley 1, it was noted by our own Lance Venta last Friday (October 21st) that iHeart had reportedly registered a domain name for a “105.7 The Ticket”.

Maybe it’s heading to Columbus.

xmusicmatt
    Participant

iHeart seems to flip 93.3 yearly lately, so I wonder if that could be where a new all-sports lands? But more likely 105.7 as Matt suggested.

I don’t really see 93.3 making any major format changes any time soon – well except jingle belling in a few weeks 🙂 Which is for another topic but I gotta feeling Santa will visit around 11/9-11/11. 🙂

MediaFan85
    Participant

Surprised iHeart is Considering Getting rid of 105.7 the X for Sports. Needs to consider that for Pittsburgh more then Columbus. The X is the ONLY Alt Rock Station in Columbus. Really iHeart?

You  forgot CD 102.5.  They would be the only Alternative station in Columbus if 105.7 flips.  I have a feeling The X will get axed more so than 93.3.

DIsaac614
    Participant

There is now 105.3 in play now and I could easily see The X move there with the new sports station going to 105.7. The main reason you have an Alternative station is to complete with WWCD which it major issue has been talked about a lot.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

Bruce Hooley – yes, THAT Bruce Hooley – recently left his afternoon drive show on WKNR/850 (of which he joined in late 2011 following his infamous dismissal from The Fan the year before).

If there was a host that could make an immediate impact in the market, it would be him.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Nathan Obral
    Participant

iHeart’s Premiere Networks is the company that distributes Fox Sports Radio, so I’d suspect that if iHeart launches an all-sports station, it will carry FSR most (or even all) of the time.

To answer Gabigley 1, it was noted by our own Lance Venta last Friday (October 21st) that iHeart had reportedly registered a domain name for a “105.7 The Ticket”.

Maybe it’s heading to Columbus.

Since The Game was sold/shut down, the Cavaliers and Indians have been bereft of an affiliate. 97.1/1460 historically have had an off-again, on-again relationship with both teams, mainly because tOSU commitments totally take precedence over anything else. Throw in the Bengals from the current 105.3 and the existing tOSU fan postgame shows on 610 – plus make a play for Crew radio rights – and that’s more than enough PBP to sustain the operation at launch.

Fox Sports Radio is also a much stronger product than CBS Sports Radio, which was a glaring weakness at 95.5 The Game.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

udfan07
    Participant

Update on the new Columbus FM sports station: (http://sportsradiopd.com/2016/11/under-the-radar-november-15-2016/)

Details should be available soon about a new sports station launching in Columbus. The brand is expected to be affiliated with FOX Sports Radio, heard on the FM dial, and operated by iHeart. Former ESPN Cleveland WKNR on-air host Bruce Hooley is rumored to be one of the new station’s weekday personalities. It’s also possible that the local programming which originates out of Columbus could be made available on other in-state sports stations presently run by iHeart. Stay tuned for further details.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php
Skip to toolbar