New format on 98.7

RI Community Forums Southeast Tampa Bay New format on 98.7

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 29 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike Mike 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jamesatl
    jamesatl
    Participant

With bubba likely in mornings, classic rock the rest of the day?
    J

Profile photo of kent
    kent
    Participant

I don’t think anybody in the building knows for sure, but the general feeling is that it will be some derivative of rock. Also, don’t be surprised if Bubba replaces Lex & Terry at a few of Beasley’s stations.

Profile photo of Bill
    Bill
    Participant

The local sports talk on 98.7 FM couldn’t be moved back to 1010 AM??

Profile photo of kent
    kent
    Participant

The talent at 98.7 was expensive, and the programming wasn’t working. There wasn’t any business reason to move it to 1010. It’s a shame, too, because I’ve heard good things about the people at 98.7.

Profile photo of Byron
    Byron
    Participant

Bubba in the morning classic hip hop all day? Yeeoo yo yo yo yo?

God I better be wrong.

Byron

Don't go around asking the world for a favor, it was here first.

Profile photo of Ohio Media Watch
    Ohio Media Watch
    Participant

I assume 1010 is still running CBS Sports Radio on autopilot.

Wonder what Beasley will do with it…brokered?

Profile photo of Lance Venta
    Lance Venta
    Participant

Possibly. The station still has a wide encompassing contract with University of South Florida for their sports. 98.7 carried football and men’s basketball, while 1010 simulcasted those plus aired baseball, women’s basketball and softball from the school. Maybe re-add a lower paying local show and make a run of it as it.

Profile photo of Nathan Obral
    Nathan Obral
    Participant

That would take 1010 full circle, as CBS was running a mix of brokered sports programming and Yahoo! Sports on 1010 prior to launching 98.7.

The Fan flipping isn’t a surprise, as iHeart/WDAE held all of the major PBP contracts in town and was able to keep them all. Plus it was the only FM sports station launched by CBS that saw drastic cuts in their local programming (wasn’t it live/local 24/7 at launch?).

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Profile photo of Mark W.
    Mark W.
    Participant

A hard classic rock format (similar to the original Bone) certainly isn’t out of the question, but I’m thinking 98.7 will flip to hot talk and challenge the present day Bone head-on.

Bone’s ratings have taken a nose dive recently (gee — I wonder why), and frankly, I do not see how they would be able to withstand a challenge from a similar station featuring Bubba in the morning.

I also highly doubt that there will be any frequency/format swaps within the former CBS cluster. Any talk of Q105 moving to a lesser signal is absurd, in my opinion.

Profile photo of Obtuse
    Obtuse
    Participant

A hard classic rock format (similar to the original Bone) certainly isn’t out of the question, but I’m thinking 98.7 will flip to hot talk and challenge the present day Bone head-on.

In either case, I wonder if they’ll import Stan and Haney’s show from Beasley’s 96KRock (Ft. Myers).

As for the rest of the cluster, I don’t see any changes, save for 1010am. Perhaps CBS Sports will be replaced with a simulcast of the new 98.7 FM, or possibly even “Bubba radio” (with USF sports content mixed in).

Profile photo of kent
    kent
    Participant

The general feeling inside the building seems to be that a talk format would be too expensive to run given that it would, at best, split fairly low ratings with 102.5. Plus, Beasley’s previous hot talk experiment in Ft. Myers didn’t go the way they wanted. However, the decision isn’t necessarily up to the people in the building, and Beasley immediately made a point of putting its own loyal management in place.

I also highly doubt that there will be any frequency/format swaps within the former CBS cluster. Any talk of Q105 moving to a lesser signal is absurd, in my opinion.

I tend to agree with you here. Q105, from what I understand, bills lower than the other FM’s in that cluster other than 98.7, but it’s far from a distressed station.

Profile photo of Mark W.
    Mark W.
    Participant

102.5’s ratings are “fairly low” because Bubba is gone, and the station has made other ill-advised programming decisions as of late.

If 98.7 went hot talk, there would be no “split.” The game changes completely. 98.7’s ratings would be similar to what 102.5 was earning about a year ago, while 102.5 would be lucky to get a 2 share.

I agree that Hot Talk didn’t work all that well in Ft. Myers, but we’re not talking Ft. Myers. The format has a history of success in the Tampa Bay region so long as the right pieces are in place.

I suppose another option would be to flip to an Active or Mainstream Rock format to challenge 98Rock, but it seems to me power ratios would be better with talk. I mean, there’s gotta be a reason as to why 102.5 dumped rock for talk…I’m sure revenue generation potential *is* the reason!

Profile photo of kent
    kent
    Participant

There’s no question Bubba helped the ratings at The Bone. However, I don’t know the numbers support the conclusion that Bubba alone on a competing station would be enough to finish off The Bone. Even with Bubba, The Bone never did much better than a 5 share, and that’s likely the ceiling for the hot talk format in Tampa regardless of how many stations run it. The decline at the Bone after Bubba left also hasn’t been nearly as bad as the decline hot talk stations saw about 8 years ago after Howard Stern left for satellite. That could be because Calta has been able to hold enough of Bubba’s listeners to keep the station afloat or because the station didn’t spend the entire day diving after Bubba left the air, which is what happened on most of the Stern affiliates, or some combination of the two. Whatever the case, that’s reason to think a second hot talk station would need more than just Bubba to take out The Bone.

I do agree with you, by the way, that hot talk can sell quite well if you have the right lineup. You can easily sell twice the spots on a talk station than you can on a music station. Your operating costs, however, are significantly higher. Plus, you have to factor in that your revenue will be almost zero from 6 PM to 6 AM unless you run sports play-by-play during those hours. Of course, that’s a problem music stations have to deal with, too.

Profile photo of JayR
    JayR
    Participant

In either case, I wonder if they’ll import Stan and Haney’s show from Beasley’s 96KRock (Ft. Myers)?

For Tampa’s sake let’s hope that doesn’t happen. Trust me…they are not that good (and I’m from the Fort Myers area).

Profile photo of Yekimi
    Yekimi
    Participant

New format: Peruvian Goat Chants 24/7. Tag line “C’mon, it’s not that baaaaaaaaad!”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register

css.php