New Sangean HD Radios – HDR-16, HDR-18, HDT-20

RI Community Forums General Topics Digital Radio New Sangean HD Radios – HDR-16, HDR-18, HDT-20

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 30 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Curt Schwarzwalder Curt Schwarzwalder 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Theater of My Mind
    Theater of My Mind
    Participant

I just spotted some new HD radios from Sangean due out this summer:

HDR-16
    AM/FM/HD Stereo mid-size battery portable. Same form factor as Sangean’s non-HD model PR-D15
    Amazon
    Universal Radio

HDR-18
    AM/FM/HD Mono speaker/Stereo headphones wood cabinet table radio. Same form factor as Sangean’s non-HD model WR-2
    Amazon
    Universal Radio

HDT-20
    AM/FM component tuner similar to the discontinued HDT-1/HDT-1X
    Amazon
    Universal Radio

Detailed specs are in Sangean’s 2016 catalog (link goes to a PDF file)

Profile photo of notdarth_deleted
    notdarth_deleted
    Participant

Cool! Will be looking forward to seeing the DX reports done from these rigs.

CBers fight inequality, and for peoples' rights-
    CBers fight class prejudice - - an hamster just fights.

Profile photo of Joe
    Joe
    Participant

I notice on the HDT-20, it states receiving HD2/HD3 channels, not to be picky but can it also receive HD4 channels, where I live there is an HD4 side, I can receive, and as HD gets more popular, I would imagine there will be more HD-4’s. I don’t know if it can go pass HD-4 though, can a signal and HD radio support an HD-5, 6, etc.

Profile photo of Bruce Carter
    Bruce Carter
    Participant

I think the maximum number of HD sub-channels is 7 – if memory serves. There is a problem, though. The quality decreases with each sub-channel. You may, indeed find a station with an HD-7 someday, but all of their programming would probably be speech, because music is seriously degraded even at the HD-3 level. Local NPR station does news on HD-1, classical on HD-2, and eclectic music on HD-3. Quality is almost down to streaming quality on the music, which is sad because their second frequency doing classical has been sold, so classical will only be on HD-2. It is fatiguing to listen to with digital artifacts conspicuous in the audio. NOT even analog FM quality.

Theater of My Mind
    Participant

Ask SiriusXM what their priority is, quality or quantity. You’ll probably find a similar disregard for the sound quality of HD radio if broadcasters can ever figure out how to monetize multiple subchannels.

Profile photo of Curt Schwarzwalder
    Curt Schwarzwalder
    Participant

Speaking of fatiguing to listen to digital artifacts, I believe these will be the only current radios on the market outside of car dashboards capable of decoding the dwindling number of AM ‘HD’ signals.

Theater of My Mind
    Participant

Sparc makes a couple of AM/FM/HD models — SHD-T750 and SHD-TX2.

Would it kill these companies to put Bluetooth on their radios? Then you’d have all the local radio options plus streaming from your phone/tablet. A true tune-in-anything device.

Bluetooth speakers seem to be a bigger item than radios on the tech sites these days so not offering it really seems like a missed marketing opportunity.

notdarth_deleted
    Participant

Taking the bait:

Speaking of fatiguing to listen to audio, I believe these will be the only current radios on the market outside of car dashboards capable of decoding the dwindling number of Ancient Modulation signals.

Profile photo of Steve Bradley
    semoochie
    Participant

I think the maximum number of HD sub-channels is 7 – if memory serves. There is a problem, though. The quality decreases with each sub-channel. You may, indeed find a station with an HD-7 someday, but all of their programming would probably be speech, because music is seriously degraded even at the HD-3 level. Local NPR station does news on HD-1, classical on HD-2, and eclectic music on HD-3. Quality is almost down to streaming quality on the music, which is sad because their second frequency doing classical has been sold, so classical will only be on HD-2. It is fatiguing to listen to with digital artifacts conspicuous in the audio. NOT even analog FM quality.

QuoteIn the back of my head, I’m thinking that eight channels are part of the IBOC system but only without the analog component.
    Profile photo of Stelly
    Stelly
    Participant

While it’s nice that the HDR-16 has Line Out, if it had direct MP3/WAV recording capability to an SD card, I’d throw my credit card at the computer screen so fast, it would slice through.

I’ll probably still end up buying it; I just won’t be as excited about it.

Profile photo of Larry Weil
    Larry Weil
    Participant

The listing on the HDR-16 does not list the size of the radio, nor what type of battery it uses.  Anyone KNOW?

Theater of My Mind
    Participant

Yeah, the specs are in the back pages of the catalog linked at the end of the first post. HDR-16 dimensions are the same as Sangean’s non-HD model PR-D15 — 10.24″W x 5.35″H x 2.48″D

Shown as taking 4x C cells. No built-in recharge feature, according to the spec chart. That’s different than its PR-D15 sibling which takes 6x C cells and has a built-in charging function. Odd difference, but I’m guessing you could probably use Eneloops and recharge them in their own charger.

notdarth_deleted
    Participant

Any word on the battery life in those rigs?

Profile photo of tpreitzel
    tpreitzel
    Participant

OK,

Will the HD chip in the HDR-18 decode AM stereo (C-QUAM) broadcasts as well as HD? We have a nice local AM station broadcasting AM stereo and some HD chipsets can decode C-QUAM as well as HD. Since I already own a good quality HD radio, any new HD radio MUST be capable of decoding C-QUAM as well.

Profile photo of Larry Weil
    Larry Weil
    Participant

Would there be any logical reason for someone who already owns an HDT-1 to replace it with an HDT-20?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php
Skip to toolbar