Orlando LPFMs

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Orlando

• Participant

The Orlando board has been quiet for way too long. So have you had a chance to listen to any of the LPFMs popping up all over the dial… Soft AC 92.7 Smooth FM (WRXW-LP Winter Park), Tropical Ritmo 93 (93.9 WWRT-LP Conway), Tropical Latino 99.7 (WBVL-LP Kissimmee), Regional Mexican La Ley 99 (99.9 WPKA-LP Apopka and 99.7 WDDT-LP Winter Garden) or Rhythmic/Dance U100 (WUOH-LP Orlando)?

My favorite is 92.7 Smooth FM. Since Magic 107.7 abandoned Soft AC for Mainstream AC and the sale of 103.1-WLOQ bringing an end to Smooth Jazz in the market, there has been a hole in Orlando for this type of format.

I am also intrigued by 100.7 “U100.” It sounds a bit like a 2015 version of 95.3 Party, though more eclectic and no personalities.

Even though I don’t speak Spanish, I have always loved Salsa music and enjoy Latino 99.7. I can’t hear it where I live but listen via Tunein.

One thing that concerns me is that some of the stations seem to have a much bigger coverage area than their licensed facitity parameters (100 watts at 100 feet HAAT or equivelant) should deliver. I have also heard several full-blown commercials whereas all LPFMs operate with non-commercial licenses. I just heard a 411 Pain commercial complete with jingle on one of them.

Living in the Lake County, FL area, is quite of distance from those LP stations. Spanish is my first language, and if i am by the MCO area, I try to tune to Ritmo 93.9, for classic salsa, tropical format. Actually very good format. Is a shame about the signal coverage, but is always available on Tune in Radio. Actually, I found another one on Tune In, KQ 93.7 FM, and it looks that belongs to the Kissimmee area. In Lake County, the only LP that I know is 103.7 The Rock, but the WPOZ HD-4 signal is very good in my area.

Changing the subject about LP stations, and it was mentioned before, I don’t understand how 103.1 The Wolf still with the Country format. Ratings are worst than before compared with WHKQ and the Top40/Spanish format. Since I moved to this area back in 1994, I always listened to the original WLOQ with the Smooth Jazz format.

I also agree that we need a Soft AC station, as well a full time classic rock station.

For the other LP stations mentioned above, haven’t had the chance to sit and listen their formats.

If you have a hd radio you can hear smooth jazz (wloq) on 107.7 hd2. They use to use the smooth jazz network but now they program it in house. The use the brand of wloq and I think they do a great job.

I have had a chance to listen to most of them in the Orlando Market, as I drive around town a lot daily.

I do agree with Dean O’Neal that the Soft AC Format is one that this market needs. However, it is an older demographic that the big boys don’t want to touch. They are all fighting for the 18-34 and 25-54 pieces of the pie. WMMO was the last one to even remotely have something easy listening, and they too have gone more Classic Hits to get away from the aging demo.

WUOH-LP seems to be carving a little niche on the east side of town among the college student populations of UCF and Full Sail. They are encoding and actually have a measurable audience. WWRT and WBVL are also encoding as well and have a small amount of numbers in Nielsen.

WBVL-LP didn’t just pop up. They were one of the original licencees from the first LPFM window and have gone through various channel changes due to the elimination of Third-Adjacent Channel Protection for LPFM’s.

Regarding coverage, some of the channels are pretty clean because there is no one else on that same frequency with a full power station, so the signal may appear to go farther than what is on paper.

For example, 93.9 only has two full power stations on it’s co-channel. One is in Miami, and the other is in Georgia. Therefore the frequency in this area is pretty clean. Although I do hear the full-power stations on this channel interfere when tropospheric ducting occurs.

Another example is 92.7, where their closest full power signals are in Stuart and Flagler, and they too experience ducting at times.

The WBVL, WWRT, WRXW, and WPKA/WDDT signals start popping in and out on my radio right around the end of their 60dBu, which is right along the lines of correct coverage area. WUOH experiences quite a bit of interference outside their 60dBu from WMTX in Tampa, so even if they were running above power, their signal gets hammered outside of the Service Coverage Area.

The 93.7 LPFM in Kissimmee gets blasted by WOGK in Ocala, and I have heard massive interference even in their 60dBu. Their signal barely goes 2 miles before WOGK starts hammering in.

The FCC was smart in limiting LPFM Certified Transmitters to 300 Watts (I believe BW has 500 Watt LPFM Certified Transmitter in anticipation of the possible grant of the proposed LP250 Petition). Even if one of them was running above power, they really wouldn’t gain much more than 1.5 Kilometers due to the height limitation even at max power of 300 watts TPO.

I have heard the Spanish 1800-411-Pain ad on one LPFM’s. The Jingle is a but questionable, as are some of the underwriting on the referenced station. The other Spanish LPFM’s seem to be right at the line of an underwriting announcement, but otherwise legal.

103.7 The Rock is not an LPFM. It is a Fill-In Translator in Lake County running WMYZ’s HD3 according to the FCC Database.

I also enjoy “U100” & “Smooth 92.7” whenever I am in the area of signal coverage.

99.7 & 99.9 is a simulcast of each other sometimes when I scan with manual tuning.
    Is this legal?

You guys seem to have access to Nielsen ratings.
    I’m wondering how WPRK is doing, particularly during my Friday 5-7pm time slot…?
    I know we’re a Class A, & not an LPFM, but I’m just curious how we’re doing VS the rest.
    We don’t currently subscribe ($$$), but are encoding.
    Any ratings info about WPRK would be very much appreciated!

My email is djmoradio@gmail.com .

Thanks in advance!

- DJ Mo
    "DJ Mo Radio"
    Fridays 5-7pm EST
    91.5FM WPRK: Winter Park-Orlando, FL
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/djmoradio
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/djmoradio

Participant

Orlando seems like a hotbed for LPFMs. It looks like most of them have signed on since my last visit there (I go there for a week in early March every year). From Google Earth with the FCC Info layer, here are the LPFMs within the Orlando area (I’m not even including the numerous translators):
    Licensed
    92.7 WKIE Kissimmee (ironically on the same frequency as the longtime home of WKIE (FM) in suburban Chicago)
    92.7 WRXW Winter Park
    93.7 WNKQ Kissimmee
    93.9 WWRT Conway
    95.7 WLPM Christmas
    95.9 WGRL St. Cloud
    99.5 WVGT Mt. Dora
    99.7 WBVL Kissimmee
    99.7 WDDT Winter Garden (share-time operation?; however, it has applied to move to Lake Mary)
    99.7 WIDT Winter Garden (share-time operation?)
    99.9 WJVE DeBary
    99.9 WOGJ Orlando
    99.9 WPKA Apopka
    100.7 WUOH Orlando
    102.7 WUFR Umatilla
    Construction permits
    95.7 WLJJ Kissimmee
    96.1 WWID Orlando
    97.1 NEW Eustis
    97.1 WEDI Deltona
    98.5 WHPB Orlando
    98.5 WPYH Sanford
    99.7 WXDN Orlando
    99.9 WWID Orlando
    101.5 WPFA Winter Park
    102.3 WMQV Kissimmee
    104.5 WTMS Kissimmee

Where I am from, the nearest LPFM is about 40 miles away (WEEH, one of the original LPFMs; it can be heard 15-20 miles in most directions because 100.5 is wide open [only a 3kW Class A and a translator within 100 miles AND no big stations (Class C2 or higher) within 200 miles]). However, there are two CPs about 20-25 miles from me.

99.7 WDDT Winter Garden (share-time operation?; however, it has applied to move to Lake Mary)
    99.7 WIDT Winter Garden (share-time operation?)

I would assume so as they have identical authorized technical facilities.

Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View (Nashville), TN

I also enjoy “U100” & “Smooth 92.7” whenever I am in the area of signal coverage. 99.7 & 99.9 is a simulcast of each other sometimes when I scan with manual tuning. Is this legal? You guys seem to have access to Nielsen ratings. I’m wondering how WPRK is doing, particularly during my Friday 5-7pm time slot…? I know we’re a Class A, & not an LPFM, but I’m just curious how we’re doing VS the rest. We don’t currently subscribe ($$$), but are encoding. Any ratings info about WPRK would be very much appreciated! My email is djmoradio@gmail.com . Thanks in advance!

There is no rule against simulcasting LPFM to LPFM. However, a full-power cannot simulcast on an LPFM.
    WIDT and WDDT are a Timeshare, but it looks like WDDT has filed to break out of the timeshare and go on their own.
    Regarding WPRK Ratings, almost non-existent. Programming is too fragmented on that station to make a blip on the radar.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php