Pirate on 96.9 in Akron area?

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Cleveland

• Participant

While traveling up route 8 and scanning the dial I stumbled across a station on 96.9. Good strong signal all the way into Cuyahoga Falls and after I was done there traveled into downtown Akron, signal still strong. Started picket-fencing with another signal once I got around West Waterloo but it was still listenable and became stronger once again once I git into Springfield Twp. No ID, musically I’d call it AAA, lite rock but they were playing stuff all over the musical spectrum. Played a song, short silent break, then into another song. I figured it was just a translator until I heard “Trail Of Lies” by Jedi Mind Tricks [Google the lyrics, they’re filthy and none of it was bleeped]. Checked radio-locator.com, no stations listed as being on 96.9. Checked FCC site but that’s a nightmare to navigate.

Participant

It’s “fox hunting” time! Gather up a posse with hand-held directional antennas and triangulate the source of the pirate.

Participant

It’s “fox hunting” time! Gather up a posse with hand-held directional antennas and triangulate the source of the pirate.

Don’t really care. Just wondering if it’s a pirate or something else. Translator, new station, whatever. If there’s a legit station that played the music they were playing, I’d be listening all the time.With the exception of that stupid rap song. I reminded me of what WAPS used to play before they brought in the new people. WAPS seems to have gone to a little bit harder sound than what they had in the past.

Check out the group Cleveland Radio & TV on Facebook. There is quite a discussion about it. From what I gather, they decided to put it on anyways without a license beyond the dismissed CP permit. Check out the link from the discussion. They list a studio address off of Route 8 and downtown Akron. Kind of behind the new Stark State College building.

There is no doubt the signal is getting out better than it did. The station has been on the air for several months now as “Radio Free Akron”. Usually I have heard more of an urban format, talk shows, etc. Now, at night it is more of a broad, eclectic rock format.

If indeed a pirate, it will be interesting to see how long this will last.

Participant

Heh, “Radio Free Akron” was WARF/1350’s branding during their progressive talk era (and where their call letters came from).

FCCdata.org doesn’t list anything for 96.9 outside of WHKW’s ridiculously puny translator in Warrensville Heights.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Participant
    There is no doubt the signal is getting out better than it did. The station has been on the air for several months now as “Radio Free Akron”. Usually I have heard more of an urban format, talk shows, etc. Now, at night it is more of a broad, eclectic rock format. If indeed a pirate, it will be interesting to see how long this will last.
    OH! It’s them. I heard them about a year or so ago but the volume was really faint and could only hear it around the downtown library. I heard it for a good while earlier in the evening all the way to Barberton. Seems like someone there likes Reggae cause I heard a LOT of that. I thought Warner Mendenhall [the attorney that’s been at odds with the leadership of Akron for years] was supposed to be involved with an Akron LPFM back when they were handing those licenses out like candy. As I said, thought it was a great listen till the played that one rap song that dropped every curse word that’s been invented and probably invented a few new ones that I had never heard before and advocated killing cops.
    And checked out the Facebook page. Sheesh, looks like I started a S***storm there!

Participant

Participant

This station applied for an LPFM and was granted a CP. They couldn’t raise the $$$ to put the FM on the air in time, so they filed for an extension. .

Long story short, as I understand it, when the FCC sent them the “programming” authorization, all they had to do was e-mail the FCC that they received the authorization and they would be sent a legal license & they could begin legal operation immediately. But, as I understand it, the station never e-mailed back to the FCC. The gov’t tried repeatedly to contact the station and got no reply, so the license was deleted.

A few months back, for some reason, they decided to jerry-rig a 1-element FM antenna & long feed line to their transmitter that layed on the top floor of the building where the studio was…which oddly enough was NOT the transmitter location the FCC had originally approved.

And, even though they didn’t have a license, they decided to go back on the air any way. Several times in Dec. & Jan. when I was in the city and tuned in there were 2 woman chatting about this and that. They never gave a legal ID (and I listened one day from 10:35am until 11:20am just to see if they’d ID…they didn’t). Very weird situation.

Have no clue what they are up to. But did hear several well known Akron lawyers have something to do with this place…or maybe used to. Very odd.

Participant

Yeah, you guys are right.  This is indeed a pirate.  I live in the area, and I notified the FCC.  I hope they’re shut down and fined soon.  They originally applied for the callsign WMVU-LP, and it was never approved yet that’s the callsign they use on the air.  You can report the pirate at this link… https://transition.fcc. gov/eb/PIRIX/

Participant

I have never heard them ID or even give the call letters. And “them”…to be 100% honest, I have no clue WHO is broadcasting on 96.9 in the Akron area. It could be a “real” pirate….not that old LPFM that had planned to go on the air. No idea, but whoever is doing so sounds like they are now tracking CDs classic rock/AAA type artists. Very weird.

Participant

I have never heard them ID or even give the call letters. And “them”…to be 100% honest, I have no clue WHO is broadcasting on 96.9 in the Akron area. It could be a “real” pirate….not that old LPFM that had planned to go on the air. No idea, but whoever is doing so sounds like they are now tracking CDs classic rock/AAA type artists. Very weird.

I think it may be whomever is playing DJ. I’ve heard AAA sometimes, reggae other times, rap/hip-hop. Still have yet to hear an ID. Maybe they’ll start playing cartoon theme songs. Can I request the Banana Splits theme? [The Tra La La song]

Participant

I have a feeling it is that old LPFM, and that they are on the air.

Participant

Anybody want to take a guess of how many watts they may be pumping out with this setup? I know it’s going to depend on antenna height, etc. but somebody must have some bucks to be paying the power bill if it’s as powerful as it seems to be…..plus no advertisers to bring in any money.

Participant

This pirate on 96.9 was recently shut down.  I guess my reporting them to the FCC worked.

Participant

This pirate on 96.9 was recently shut down. I guess my reporting them to the FCC worked.

Interesting. I usually hear a little birdie tweeting when something like that is about to happen but this time I heard nothing. No fines? No arrests? No confiscating the equipment? They just said “Shut ‘er down!” and that was it? I hadn’t thought about that “station” for a while and then yesterday morning, for some reason, a thought popped into my head about them and I wondered if they were still on the air.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php