Pompton Lakes may acquire radio station WGHT

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: New Jersey

• Participant

http://www.northjersey.com/story/news/passaic/pompton-lakes/2017/09/14/pompton-lakes-could-acquire-radio-station-wght-future-radio-station-wght-uncertain-pompton-lakes-loo/664785001/

Interesting how this plays out though

POMPTON LAKES — Officials are considering acquiring local radio station WGHT after the owner offered to possibly donate it to the borough. The Mayor and Council passed a resolution Wednesday to execute an agreement, but are months away from completing any deal, Mayor Michael Serra said.

“Unfortunately, the radio station for whatever reason, has decided to sell, or donate to us,” Serra said. “We don’t know the full extent.”

WGHT is a 1,000-watt, daytime oldies and news station based in Pompton Lakes that broadcasts in the New York metropolitan area on 1500 AM. The station is is online at wghtradio.com.

It’s not clear if or when the station will go dark, or what the station’s motivations are. The owner, John Silliman, said Thursday “there is no story yet,” and “nothing has been done yet.”

He wouldn’t say if he was looking into other options, or if the station would be closing down.

“I have to settle things first,” he said.

A message on the station’s website says: “WGHT Radio is not ‘going dark!’ WGHT Radio will continue on our path, serving the community.”

Silliman does the mid-day weekday show starting at 11 a.m. at WGHT that features daily contests with prizes.

The station is gone. They will turn it off and use the land.

Participant

According to the Dentist’s board that December 14th will be the last day of playing oldies on WGHT at 1500 AM. Bob Sillman will be doing his final sign-off. I can’t wait to record this one, because another oldies station gone, and in the mortal words of Queen, “Another One Bites the Dust”.

Thanks to Charles Everett for this one. I’m going to record the final day of WGHT when it is and it was an oldies station. Starting tomorrow will be the final morning show all the way to the end. This is going to be a lot better than KSWD’s “The Sound” at 100.3 did signed off as a classic rock station in LA a month ago. This is going to be awesome. I’m looking forward to it

Participant

Perhaps you should read this site’s main news section more often. Sean Ross broke the news first of WGHT’s sign-off yesterday.

Final Listen: WGHT (North Jersey 1500)

Participant

Perhaps you should read this site’s main news section more often. Sean Ross broke the news first of WGHT’s sign-off yesterday.

Final Listen: WGHT (North Jersey 1500)

Thanks! I’m looking forward to record the last shows on WGHT, but this isn’t going to Ben a lot better than KSWD’s “The Sound”, but you can hear is just oldies and forgotten favorites.

I hope fans of WGHT might end up somewhere online including the TuneIn app where you can hear your favorite oldies on Rewound Radio, or you can also get oldies on WLNG in Sag Harbor, WGNY-FM in the Hudson Valley, WROW in Albany as “Magic 590/100.5”, and WABY in Watervilet. Those are the four stations are now playing oldies.

Participant

Right. Charles Everett sees things here, then runs to the NYRMB and posts the information there as if it is his own.

Participant

Right. Charles Everett sees things here, then runs to the NYRMB and posts the information there as if it is his own.

Possibly not. Sniffen has a habit of removing links to RadioInsight and others from people’s postings. Doesn’t like people to know there are other radio resources out there.

Participant

As of this morning, I listened to last day of WGHT. A lot of great DJ’s are saying goodbyes to its listeners and fans. The last song played on WGHT was “Dance to the Music” by Sly & the Family Stone that brought the station to an end after a 24-year run as an oldies/classic hits station. It was a great ride. I recorded the last several hours of WGHT. So I will be posting them later this weekend. This is the way KSWD “The Sound” in Los Angeles last month, but this is the way the station signed off forever. What a sad way to see WGHT go. Thanks to all its competitors including my six stations like WGNY-FM, WROW, WABY, WBPM, WALL and WLNG. I hope fans of the former WGHT might pick up a lot of its audience to WGNY-FM, WBPM and WALL in the Hudson Valley due to the loss of WGHT.

I’ll be you posted as soon I can when I’m going to put these airchecks from the last day of WGHT. Stay tuned!

GHT signed-off at 2:00PM today.  The Borough of Pompton Plains plans an LMA or sale.  Yesterday William Paterson College said for “budgetary reasons” they are no longer interested in the station.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. AcceptRead More

css.php