R.I.P.: Metropolitan Opera Radio Host Peter Allen, 1920/2016

RI Community Forums Music Formats Classical / Jazz R.I.P.: Metropolitan Opera Radio Host Peter Allen, 1920/2016

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of joseph_gallant Joseph_Gallant 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of joseph_gallant
    Joseph_Gallant
    Participant

Longtime Metropolitan Opera radio broadcast host Peter Allen has died at the age of 96.

Allen became the host of the syndicated Saturday-afternoon broadcasts of the “Met” in 1975 (succeeding the late Milton Cross, who had been host from 1931), continuing in that role for the next 29 years.

New York Times story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/10/arts/music/peter-allen-a-voice-on-the-radio-for-the-met-opera-dies-at-96.html .

I would suspect that there will be a tribute to Allen during the intermission of the first Metropolitan Opera Saturday-matinee broadcast of the 2016/2017 season, “Manon Lescaut”, on December 3rd.

Allen actually died on October 8th. Sorry for not posting this earlier, but I only learned of Allen’s death today (October 29th), and decided to post the story since his was the most familiar name and voice in opera broadcasting.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register

css.php