Ratings

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Boston

• Participant

Both sports stations ( WBZ-FM, WEEI ) went down . JAMN ratings is the lowest I ever seen it . How that New Morning show working out for you JAMN ? smdh

Participant

Both sports stations ( WBZ-FM, WEEI ) went down . JAMN ratings is the lowest I ever seen it . How that New Morning show working out for you JAMN ? smdh

The 12+ demo numbers you and I see are totally worthless and meaningless. No one in the industry takes it seriously. That’s why Nielsen allows them to be published.

Radio stations make decisions based on how their key demos are faring. Those you can’t see unless you’re in the business.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Participant

The 12+ demo numbers you and I see are totally worthless and meaningless. No one in the industry takes it seriously. That’s why Nielsen allows them to be published.

Good grief! Does someone always believe it is their job to post this every time a conversation about ratings comes up?

They are not meaningless…they indicate ALL listening.

(Yes, they are typically topheavy 55+ 65+! but we all know that. And, yes, we also know that you can’t make programming decisions/conclusions based on one 12+ trend….but someone will always grace us with another post of such wisdom.)

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  OldNewsGuy.

Participant

Good grief! Does someone always believe it is their job to post this every time a conversation about ratings comes up?

They are not meaningless…they indicate ALL listening.

(Yes, they are typically topheavy 55+ 65+! but we all know that. And, yes, we also know that you can’t make programming decisions/conclusions based on one 12+ trend….but someone will always grace us with another post of such wisdom.)

Radio stations don’t make the programming decisions based on the 12+ demo. They make them on the demo their station actually targets, and it’s highly likely that Jam’n ratings in the morning are not as bad in the core demo as you’d assume based on the 12+.

And this point is brought up repeatedly because it is true. Ask David Eduardo or any other broadcast pro who has said the same about the 12+ and they’ll say it’s the equivalent of a beauty pageant.

Participant

Radio stations don’t make the programming decisions based on the 12+ demo.

And this point is brought up repeatedly because it is true.

That’s already been stated, but thank you for coming by and gracing us with your wisdom by repeating the same thing over again.

It gets brought up because some people think they need to enlighten others to what everyone knows.

Seems there can be no discussing 12+ demographics because someone will feel the need to explain to the rest of the industry how much they don’t matter, and any discussion is not worthwhile.

But thanks for stopping by and adding nothing to the conversation!

Now, please send a “test” message or an “unsubscribe” command to an entire mailing list, because that would be about as useful as someone coming like clockwork into every 12+ discussion.

Participant

The 12+ demo numbers you and I see are totally worthless and meaningless. No one in the industry takes it seriously. That’s why Nielsen allows them to be published. Radio stations make decisions based on how their key demos are faring. Those you can’t see unless you’re in the business.

Every time I see someone the boards saying “12+ doesn’t matter or stations don’t make decisons off of 6+ numbers “..I think it MUST be someone from iHeart corporate on here trying to justify why they hold on to what they do…They would be the only group trying to defend their position in such a way….
    If JMN is 1.9 (6+) there is NO WAY they are performing well in demo..perhaps nights is the only daypart keeping them up.
    There’s not a lot of fruit 18-34, look at what’s happening to Kiss..

Participant

If you really think I work for iHeart corporate just because I dare to say a topline even David Eduardo (a longtime pro, historian and R-D mod) has openly called meaningless IS meaningless, then there’s no point in continuing the conversation whatsoever.

And with all due respect, that level of condescension towards me shows a total lack of seriousness and might be a reason why the activity on this site has atrophied to the point of nothingness.

Have a good day.

Participant

historian and R-D mod) has openly called meaningless IS meaningless,

And you feel the need to enlighten us over and over again.

then there’s no point in continuing the conversation whatsoever.

Yet, here you are!

Participant

Saying 12+ ratings is meaningless is an overstatement. Yes, some stations target the handful of 18-34s who somehow still listen to terrestrial radio…and yes those stations brag about their 30 share of that audience. And yes those same stations brag about growing to a 34 share of that target demo by adding 4 actual net new listeners. True.

But the stations running around to agencies armed with fat share numbers in narrow demographics that used to listen to radio…they’re salespeople in a game where literally everyone’s “number one”.

But the total listening audience DOES matter.  And even if you’re the guy with the 34 share of 18-24s who lost 3 listeners and now has a 19 share….if somehow 50+ listeners come your way….there are advertisers that will pay $500,000 a year to buy blocks of time on your station. And many other lucrative income sources.

That beats the zit cream market you bragged about dominating  in your narrow demo pitching days.

So you are dead wrong with this  “12+ means nothing”. I assume you pitched one of the late-formerly-great IHeart or Entercom dinosaurs.

Everyones number one at something,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php