Should Detroit Get A Classic Hip-Hop Station?

RadioInsight Community Forums Midwest Detroit / Michigan Should Detroit Get A Classic Hip-Hop Station?

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  ksradiogeek 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Kyle G.

I think it would do well, seeing as Mix 92.3 already throws in old school tracks anyway. If any station were to change to Classic hip-hop, which do you think it should be? Like stated before, I think Mix 92.3 would make a good transition to Classic hip-hop, since iHeartmedia has “The Beat” moniker for that genre in St. Louis and Norfolk already.

Scholarm1111

Mix 92.3 is the clear urban radio market ratings leader in Detroit, I would hope they would not ditch they’re currently successful format. One of Radio One’s stations such as 107.5 might be a better bet.

Anonymous

`The D definitely need a classic hip hop station-but leave the existing stations alone(2 stations for hip hop-2 for r&b and create a new one for classic hip hop)–if not classic hip hop,then a new station dedicated for like old school party like the Detroit techno electro and house mixing 24 hrs they use to be big on back in the days

Kyle G.

`The D definitely need a classic hip hop station-but leave the existing stations alone(2 stations for hip hop-2 for r&b and create a new one for classic hip hop)–if not classic hip hop,then a new station dedicated for like old school party like the Detroit techno electro and house mixing 24 hrs they use to be big on back in the days

But what frequency would it go on? The only ones that comes into mind would be 101.5 or 107.9, but both would need to be limited power to avoid interference with WRVF in Toledo and WCRZ in Flint. I’d love to see a dance-type station like that though. It would bring something unique in Detroit radio, for once. Maybe a station modeled like Milwaukee’s new 100.3 The Party?

secondchoice

If you can grab a large part of the 25 to 54 demo it could very rewarding financially. Tupac was shot some 18 years ago. Folks in high school at the time are now 30+ and in the 25 to 54 demo. I am really surprised that it took this long before programmers / sales people to do the math and figure out that “classic Hip Hop” is a viable format just like classic rock. If I was running 107.5, I would have to think about Classic Hip Hop because 98 WJLB is beating me almost two to one.

Kyle G.

If you can grab a large part of the 25 to 54 demo it could very rewarding financially. Tupac was shot some 18 years ago. Folks in high school at the time are now 30+ and in the 25 to 54 demo. I am really surprised that it took this long before programmers / sales people to do the math and figure out that “classic Hip Hop” is a viable format just like classic rock. If I was running 107.5, I would have to think about Classic Hip Hop because 98 WJLB is beating me almost two to one.

Personally, I prefer 107.5 over 97.9, but I would not be heartbroken if 107.5 switched over to Classic Hip Hop. I moved back to the Detroit area in 2011 and I didn’t even find out 107.5 was under it’s current format until the summer of 2013. I think 107.5 might be too afraid to switch because of the new morning show and trying to make on-air projects relating more to Detroit. And by doing that, they take time to focus on new Detroit artists and by switching to Classic Hip Hop it brings away from focusing on those new artists, if that makes any sense.

Anonymous

Unfortunately i’m living in Atl now so I don’t know what Freqs are avail there,but why I said not 2 touch the 4 stations they have now and take over like a country station or something is because now here in Atl we have 8 stations now with the 3 addtl classic stations that started in Nov.–So if we can have 6 stations for rap here and 2 for r&b,i’m sure the D can have 3 stations for rap and 2 for r&b

Anonymous

But 2 be honest–these classic stations thats popping up in a lot of cities really aint ish especially the 3 that popped up in Atl they are still formatted and playing what use 2 be the most popular songs at that time that u basically can just go 2 youtube and listen there—Its a shame over 30 yrs of rap music,but they still play the same songs–the reason I said a old school party station is of course they dont have 1 and that use 2 be how most of the stations got down late at nite and all wknd

Charles Everett
    Participant

Why do all the fanboys want Rap Oldies in Detroit? The Motor City was never a center of the rap game except for one artist — who is white.

Kyle G.

Why do all the fanboys want Rap Oldies in Detroit? The Motor City was never a center of the rap game except for one artist — who is white.

A better question is, why does it actually matter if Detroit was never a center of the rap game? Indianapolis has zero major rap artists, but they still have 93.9 the beat, which is pretty popular. Also, why does race have anything to do with it? If you can rap, you can rap. No matter your skin color. And I can think of many other rap artists from Detroit.

Alex Surge

I wouldn’t be surprised if Detroit gained a Classic Hip Hop station in the future.

Charles Everett
    Participant

Rap Oldies is a fad format — it opens big and falls off big. R&B and Gospel are better choices to reach older black audiences.

You want Rap Oldies 24/7, listen to your mixtapes.

Anonymous

Rap Oldies is a fad format — it opens big and falls off big. R&B and Gospel are better choices to reach older black audiences.

You want Rap Oldies 24/7, listen to your mixtapes.

stupid waste of sperm comments!

Anonymous

I wouldn’t be surprised if Detroit gained a Classic Hip Hop station in the future.

I think 107.5 Will flip to old school hip hop.

Charles Everett
    Participant

Did you see the Houston ratings last week? The station with non-stop Rap Oldies is fading fast as anyone who’s a thousand miles away could figure out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php