Should WKHR focus more on late 40s to early 60's music?

RadioInsight Community Forums Midwest Cleveland Should WKHR focus more on late 40s to early 60's music?

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 28 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Terry Stevens 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Listening to WKHR tonight and they are play a lot of the pre-rock and roll 50’s music mixed with some 40’s and even early 60’s. With WMJI basically 70s and 80s now, WKHR is basically the only station in Cleveland to play pre-1970 music.

I know WKHR also plays 1920s and 1930s music. Very few people are alive who grew up with that music.

I guess my question is should WKHR change focus to 1940 through 1970 music? Throwing in just some pre-1940 music. I think that would have wider appeal. The person born in 1915 would turn 100 this year. Or should WKHR stay as is? Just think there is a lack or radio outlets for good 50s and 60s music

radioperson
    Participant

Listening to WKHR tonight and they are play a lot of the pre-rock and roll 50’s music mixed with some 40’s and even early 60’s. With WMJI basically 70s and 80s now, WKHR is basically the only station in Cleveland to play pre-1970 music.

I know WKHR also plays 1920s and 1930s music. Very few people are alive who grew up with that music.

I guess my question is should WKHR change focus to 1940 through 1970 music? Throwing in just some pre-1940 music. I think that would have wider appeal. The person born in 1915 would turn 100 this year. Or should WKHR stay as is? Just think there is a lack or radio outlets for good 50s and 60s music

WKHR is a non-comm that is apparently committed to being a service that presents 20th century popular music in an historical context, not necessarily presenting it to people who actually remember it (although there are a few left).

Think of it as WCLV for popular music……how many listeners of WCLV were around when Mozart was alive? 🙂

That is true. It does fill a void with the big band and swing stuff. Like someone else always says if it ain’t broke, why fix it? And it does well in the ratings for a small east side non-comm.

skiwest
    Participant

Yes, there definitely is a lack of music from the 50s and 60s on the local airwaves. 91.5 does seem to be getting into it a little more, depending on the show host. Terry Stevens, who does a show from 6-9 on Wednesday evenings, plays exclusively from the 50s and 60s by artists such as Dean Martin, Perry Como, Percy Faith, Pat Boone, Connie Francis, Henry Mancini and Johnny Mathis. Also, Charlie Gray plays 50s and 60s on Monday evening from 9-10 . And Margie plays quite of bit from the 50s and 60s on Saturday evening. WKHR does rely on donations from its listeners for survival. If their listeners start dropping off, so too will their donations.

John Basalla
    Participant

There will always be some people who enjoy music that is beyond their personal age. I enjoy 1920s Pre-Swing Dance Band/Jazz music. If visiting me, you’ll also occasionally see me listening to cylinder and disc records from as early as the late 1890s to very early 1900s.

The question is, as time marches on, will there be enough people wanting to donate consistently to support the playing of music recorded well before their time?

John Basalla
    Participant

WBWC 88.3 FM (Southwestern Cuyahoga County, Lorain County and northern Medina … on-line for everyone at wwww.wbwc.com … has a 1950s/early-mid 1960s Rock and Roll show every Sunday evening from 6:03pm until 9:00pm. Lots of Doo-Wop, Rock-a-billy and Surf music are featured. The host, “Commander” Greg Miller, channels “Mad Daddy” in his presentation.

Could a station like WKHR add an HD2 subchannel? If so, one station could focus on the 20s, 30’s and 40’s. The subchannel could get into the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s.

Yekimi
    Participant

Could a station like WKHR add an HD2 subchannel? If so, one station could focus on the 20s, 30’s and 40’s. The subchannel could get into the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s.

Interesting question. From Wikipedia: HD Radio is the trademark for iBiquity’s in-band on-channel (IBOC) digital radio technology used by AM and FM radio stations to transmit audio and data by using a digital signal embedded “on-frequency” immediately above and below a station’s standard analog signal, providing the means to listen to the same program in either HD (digital radio with less noise) or as a standard broadcast (analog radio with standard sound quality). The HD format also provides the means for a single radio station to simultaneously broadcast one or more different programs in addition to the program being transmitted on the radio station’s analog channel.

So at least from the Wikipedia entry, it appears possible. Not an engineer so somebody with more technical expertise than what I have could possibly answer it.

I guess it would depend upon what type transmitter they have and if they would have to upgrade it or whatever they made need to do. Being listener supported, I don’t think would want to throw a huge chunk of change to upgrade their transmitter just for another sub-channel. Maybe they easy route would be to add a second channel on their website just for for online listening. Of course that doesn’t help to much for those that would rather listen on their car radio.

John Basalla
    Participant

Another issue is staff to produce and program all this new content.

Jeremy
    Participant

Didn’t Sirius/XM Radio drop the 40s on 4 channel recently and by popular demand brought it back? I was told that it was replaced by the Billy Joel channel before it was brought back. That shows there is a support for 40s music. I think the channel did play some 30s tunes as well, such as “Sing Sing Sing” and “In the Mood”. I can’t always get WKHR here because of WOBC. In that case I tune to AM 740 from Toronto.

Doug Smith

Could a station like WKHR add an HD2 subchannel?

So at least from the Wikipedia entry, it appears possible. Not an engineer so somebody with more technical expertise than what I have could possibly answer it.

Exactly. From a technical standpoint there’s no reason WKHR couldn’t add a HD2. However, there’s little chance it would be economically viable. It’s amazingly difficult to find solid figures on how many HD radios are out there but it seems unlikely to exceed 10% of listeners. The vast majority of those are car radios – I would imagine fewer than 1% have a HD radio in their home or office.

A HD2 would really only make sense if WKHR could acquire a translator to relay it in analog mode.

Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View (Nashville), TN

Cleveland does have “real oldies” on WMJI HD2. This station does play a good amount of rock and roll oldies from the 50’s and 60’s such as Elvis, Del Shannon, Gary Lewis and The Playboys and such. Of course, most people don’t have HD.

superjock1

Years ago WKHR before AM 850 WRMR/WHK many call letters switches in ownership KHR had a guy who during fund drive could raise on a 4 hour shift pull in $10k.Did this for a couple of years when Scott McVay died he was in charge due to his connection with school board several BAD CHOICES WERE MADE! George Stark was placed in charge bad move,Chris Kofron was and still remains due to being an employee with the school and instructor. Mike Young was the guy who brought in the numbers and dollars,Scott knew this however George didn’t like him and the style of music and Poof he was dismissed as were The Ackers. Mike is over at WJCU 88.7FM SAT.1-3PM With Music & Memories and fills-in for Joe Madigan on his RETRO-RADIO SHOW. Mike also does sundays at THE SUNDAY OLDIES JUKEBOX 88.9FM,When The Late Uncle Bill brought Mike to do sunday afternoon which he still does 3-6pm Stark was upset and demanded that Mike be shown the door it didn’t happen and UB thought it was funny because UB was 91.5’s engineer and Stark thought it made him look foolish because of UB. I for one don’t get the problem however Mike is at WJCU & WSTB as for WKHR expanding and switching it up as long as George the Weatherman is still in charge it won’t happen until they start losing MONEY via FUND DRIVES THEN MAYBE A POSITIVE TWEEKING CAN HAPPEN!

radioperson
    Participant

Years ago WKHR before AM 850 WRMR/WHK many call letters switches in ownership KHR had a guy who during fund drive could raise on a 4 hour shift pull in $10k.Did this for a couple of years when Scott McVay died he was in charge due to his connection with school board several BAD CHOICES WERE MADE! George Stark was placed in charge bad move,Chris Kofron was and still remains due to being an employee with the school and instructor. Mike Young was the guy who brought in the numbers and dollars,Scott knew this however George didn’t like him and the style of music and Poof he was dismissed as were The Ackers. Mike is over at WJCU 88.7FM SAT.1-3PM With Music & Memories and fills-in for Joe Madigan on his RETRO-RADIO SHOW. Mike also does sundays at THE SUNDAY OLDIES JUKEBOX 88.9FM,When The Late Uncle Bill brought Mike to do sunday afternoon which he still does 3-6pm Stark was upset and demanded that Mike be shown the door it didn’t happen and UB thought it was funny because UB was 91.5’s engineer and Stark thought it made him look foolish because of UB. I for one don’t get the problem however Mike is at WJCU & WSTB as for WKHR expanding and switching it up as long as George the Weatherman is still in charge it won’t happen until they start losing MONEY via FUND DRIVES THEN MAYBE A POSITIVE TWEEKING CAN HAPPEN!

I remember when Mike Young did the Sunday morning shift on WKHR, I would be all set for some Great American Songbook with my Sunday morning coffee and instead his taste leaned toward Anne Murray and Mac Davis rather than Peggy Lee and Nat King Cole. If anyone thinks that the former two are on the same level as the latter two, then I don’t know what to say.

Anne Murray and Mac Davis sounds like a 70’s country lite format 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php