Silent carrier heard on 101.5 in West Park

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Cleveland

• Participant

As of last night I started hearing a silent carrier on 101.5 in West Park.  I used to be able to hear a weak but listenable WINT if I stop at certain spots north of Snow Rd.

Is this yet another new repeater?  Will “white space” become a thing of the past on the FM band?

Participant

I’m just south of Puritas near W 150, nothing here on my GE Superadio, closest thing is 101.3 in Ashland.

Participant

I wonder if WINT was the silent carrier I heard?  They were back on the air this afternoon, very listenable along 480 between State and 71s.

BTW I’m using my ’17 Lincoln infotainment radio with the antenna mounted in the rear window glass.

Participant

I was able to listen to WINT clearly in West Park yesterday afternoon with WNCO on 101.3 and the WGAR repeater on 101.7.  Perhaps tropo was enhancing WINT (and WNCO).

Dannykewl I’m surprised your Superadio did not pick up WINT.  Last night I listened to the Captains game with full quieting while driving down W.150 towards Brook Park.

Participant

I was able to listen to WINT clearly in West Park yesterday afternoon with WNCO on 101.3 and the WGAR repeater on 101.7. Perhaps tropo was enhancing WINT (and WNCO). Dannykewl I’m surprised your Superadio did not pick up WINT. Last night I listened to the Captains game with full quieting while driving down W.150 towards Brook Park.

I tried yesterday and forgot to post, around 4pm I drove 150th from near Puritas south to Snow (150th becomes Smith at Brookpark Rd. going south of course.). Got just fleeting blips of talk on 93.5, nothing on 101.5, and while at it, 87.75 a lot weaker than it used to be, so must be at or closer to their allowed 3 watts. Upon seeing this new post, I went out and tried on my Caravan radio parked in my back yard at 10pm, and could hear something just barely above the noise floor on 93.5, heavily distorted with multipath. Could pick out Trump’s voice for a second or 2 talking about Mexico, nothing on 101.5. I’m assuming more likely WINT than the new WAKR translator that I read fired up yesterday. I came in and tried the Superadio, just too much electrical noise to get a weak signal on either 93.5 or 101.5. May try the Superadio outside soon, and will check again on my car radio, actually the stock radio that comes with a 2005 Dodge Caravan. Wish it had input for mp3 and line out. At least has RDS, as well as CD and cassette. I use a little FM transmitter to mp3. Only vehicle here. Your car radio seems more sensitive.

Participant

Was just out again, and another try on car radio and also took GE Superadio out as well. Nada on 93.5 even on the car radio. Getting too much skip or ducting lately to get a clean signal including today on 101.5, got someone talking about Nazi Germany (maybe due to D Day yesterday), but something else on WAKR-AM. La Mega 87.75 seems to be fairly strong even on the Superadio with the antenna pulled all the way in. Getting very heavy AM noise (AC hum) everywhere in my yard as well as house on the Superadio, can barely hear WTAM above it, but car radio does better, could hear WAKR-AM.

Participant

Was just out again, and another try on car radio and also took GE Superadio out as well. Nada on 93.5 even on the car radio. Getting too much skip or ducting lately to get a clean signal including today on 101.5, got someone talking about Nazi Germany (maybe due to D Day yesterday), but something else on WAKR-AM. La Mega 87.75 seems to be fairly strong even on the Superadio with the antenna pulled all the way in. Getting very heavy AM noise (AC hum) everywhere in my yard as well as house on the Superadio, can barely hear WTAM above it, but car radio does better, could hear WAKR-AM.

I was able to hear the end of the Captains game again  along W 150 between Puritas and Brookpark Rd.  almost perfectly last night.  I’m surprised none of your radios can capture WINT’s repeater. While 101.5 is wedged between WNCO 101.3 and one of the WGAR repeaters 101.7, my radio can differentiate between all of those signals.  Tropo just has to be up slightly in order to receive 101.5.  If I can hear WNCO I usually can also hear WINT.
    Here is an oddity: I got an HD1 signal display briefly while listening to 106.9.  WTAM never broke up but the HD1 RDS display said “ZZ Top” so that had to be WRQK.  I do hear WRQK break in up at my place in Parma, I live in the null but also very close to the transmitter site @ Padua.  I get predictable reception issues once I pass the WJW tower on PV with the RDS going away and short bursts of WRQK breaking up WTAM.   Sitting in my drive I can move my car slightly to hear WRQK, but WTAM wins in most spots.  It’s like a 2 slices of swiss cheese.

Participant

I was able to hear the end of the Captains game again along W 150 between Puritas and Brookpark Rd. almost perfectly last night. I’m surprised none of your radios can capture WINT’s repeater. While 101.5 is wedged between WNCO 101.3 and one of the WGAR repeaters 101.7, my radio can differentiate between all of those signals. Tropo just has to be up slightly in order to receive 101.5. If I can hear WNCO I usually can also hear WINT.
    Here is an oddity: I got an HD1 signal display briefly while listening to 106.9. WTAM never broke up but the HD1 RDS display said “ZZ Top” so that had to be WRQK. I do hear WRQK break in up at my place in Parma, I live in the null but also very close to the transmitter site @ Padua. I get predictable reception issues once I pass the WJW tower on PV with the RDS going away and short bursts of WRQK breaking up WTAM. Sitting in my drive I can move my car slightly to hear WRQK, but WTAM wins in most spots. It’s like a 2 slices of swiss cheese.

I DID get WINT 101.5 today on the van radio this afternoon, they were playing polkas and got the top of the hour ID at 2pm. Nada on 93.5, was hoping to hear WAKR, something trying just above the hiss, but was way too faint. Got on 150th just S of Puritas, went to Smith and Snow to do shopping. WINT was picket fencing all the way, and seems there’s some tropo, but doesn’t seem real strong, but I agree, I think it helps push the WINT signal. No trace of Canton here on 106.9 since WTAM on that freq.

Participant

I was able to hear the end of the Captains game again along W 150 between Puritas and Brookpark Rd. almost perfectly last night. I’m surprised none of your radios can capture WINT’s repeater. While 101.5 is wedged between WNCO 101.3 and one of the WGAR repeaters 101.7, my radio can differentiate between all of those signals. Tropo just has to be up slightly in order to receive 101.5. If I can hear WNCO I usually can also hear WINT.
    Here is an oddity: I got an HD1 signal display briefly while listening to 106.9. WTAM never broke up but the HD1 RDS display said “ZZ Top” so that had to be WRQK. I do hear WRQK break in up at my place in Parma, I live in the null but also very close to the transmitter site @ Padua. I get predictable reception issues once I pass the WJW tower on PV with the RDS going away and short bursts of WRQK breaking up WTAM. Sitting in my drive I can move my car slightly to hear WRQK, but WTAM wins in most spots. It’s like a 2 slices of swiss cheese.
    And all of these wedged in stations, which bring with them a growing amount of interference, are supposed to increase radio listening?

Participant

Now 102.5 (WHK) had a silent carrier last night (10:30 PM) on W150.  I find it interesting that the silent carriers sound cleaner (i.e. less picket-fencing)  than when there is audio.  I used to think it was a pirate station when I catch these silent carriers because of how clean they sound in comparison to the same signals with audio present.

Participant

The FCC is doing the same thing to the FM band they did to the AM band after WWII, cramming in more and more signals. That gave us the absurdity of daytime only stations, 500 watters, eight tower directional arrays and stations that barely cover their towns at night.

I listen to WCLV 104.9. When they first moved there, I had no problem hearing them on any radio in my home.  Since the great FM translator proflagration, they are harder to tune in and during quiet passages I can hear the murmur of other stations in the background, just like when I listened to WIXY 1260 and would try to pick out call letters during the pause in the song “Good Lovin'” from the chorus of signals I could hear underneath them at night.

What will happen? The degradation of the AM band drove listeners to FM. Now, the degradation of the FM band will drive them to streaming, other platforms or away altogether. Perhaps this is FCC policy. When there are no more over air broadcasters, they’ll have less to do. This raises the question, do we really need over air broadcasting of radio or TV anymore?

Participant

I have now caught silent carriers at one time or another on all 3 repeaters I have preset in my car.  In addition to my original post on WINT’s 101.5 on May 29th, last week 106.9 had a few “hiccups”, WHK’s 102.5 was silent when I was close enough to receive it.

I wonder how the repeaters are controlled.   I presume they are using broadband to get the audio to the translators based on the amount of delay between the main signal and the repeater.  WHK’s delay is close to one minute behind the main signal. WTAM is just a few seconds and I can’t receive 1330 to see what the delay is on WINT.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  michael p.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php