Sloppy WTAM

RadioInsight Community Forums Midwest Cleveland Sloppy WTAM

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 36 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  MediaFan85 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

dannykewl
    Participant

I *try* to tune into WTAM a  couple times a day, on the hour, to catch the news to see what’s happening in the world and locally, seems to be the only local station to even have the news anymore. I actually tune in maybe a minute or more before the hour. My clocks and watches are accurate. 1 minute after, Geraldo or Triv still blabbing away, or morning sports talk running way over. 2 minutes after, the same, 3 minutes after the hour, same. 4 or 5 minutes after, “oh, “we better break for the 3 o’clock news”. Same on the half hour. I have never hear a station as sloppily run. Everyone else who has something on the hour, starts on the hour. There are others like me who just want a quick recap of the news, when they say they’re gonna do it, and not have to wait around. I’d rather see them do the news at :10 and :40 and be precise if they’re gonna be that sloppy. Sports are overdone, other stations for that, where’s the news? They’re “NEWS RADIO1100”, not Sports radio! Can’t stand the local “talent”, including Geraldo. At least Beck and Limbaugh aren’t wishy-washy and are listenable. Trying to catch the news today at 3 was the last straw, will do without local news. 4 minutes after and Triv still yacking away.

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by  dannykewl.

Yekimi
    Participant

I *try* to tune into WTAM a couple times a day, on the hour, to catch the news to see what’s happening in the world and locally, seems to be the only local station to even have the news anymore. I actually tune in maybe a minute or more before the hour. My clocks and watches are accurate. 1 minute after, Geraldo or Triv still blabbing away, or morning sports talk running way over. 2 minutes after, the same, 3 minutes after the hour, same. 4 or 5 minutes after, “oh, “we better break for the 3 o’clock news”. Same on the half hour. I have never hear a station as sloppily run. Everyone else who has something on the hour, starts on the hour. There are others like me who just want a quick recap of the news, when they say they’re gonna do it, and not have to wait around. I’d rather see them do the news at :10 and :40 and be precise if they’re gonna be that sloppy. Sports are overdone, other stations for that, where’s the news? They’re “NEWS RADIO1100”, not Sports radio! Can’t stand the local “talent”, including Geraldo. At least Beck and Limbaugh aren’t wishy-washy and are listenable. Trying to catch the news today at 3 was the last straw, will do without local news. 4 minutes after and Triv still yacking away.

You want Triv to hit the news post at the top of the hour you have to dangle a donut, bag of Doritos….really anything snack food related….in front of him and whisper in his ear “You’ll get this if you can shut up and switch to the newsroom 2 seconds before the big hand and second hand points straight up!”

dannykewl
    Participant

LOL, yep. Pizza may work. I shouldn’t have said I don’t like the local talent, as local is good, they just need to talk about something other than sports all the time. I realize Cleveland is a big sports town, but there’s other things going on too, make it true talk radio. I’m sure Triv is a cool person. I know he started with sports show call ins. But the metro area is big, lots else going on as well. Lets put that 50KW signal to good use with the talent we have. And not leave people hanging at news time, LOL. I know Geraldo lives here now, a transplant.

I tried to reply in the reply, but all dark blue and I couldn’t even read it,

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  dannykewl.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

Every time Triv has had a show clock forced on him, it failed miserably. And most of those times were with Marty Allen trying to keep everything from being unglued. It’s gonna stay that way until he retires.

Triv is nowhere near the ratings draw he had been, but hosts overstaying their welcome is a problem for the format in general… then again, WTAM’s audience is aging and graying like every other talk station, so it’s fitting that Triv sticks around and grows old with his audience.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

michael p
    Participant

This bugs me too, but I believe Triv is doing it on purpose (with Ray Davies blessing I’m sure).  This way you have to hear him blab awhile if you want to hear the news.  The only time the news is spot on is during the nationally syndicated programs.  They must know I’m listening to other stations and just tune in for the news.  It keeps me tuned in longer than 5 minutes.

There is one other source for live local news – WHK.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

Funny thing about WHK, they contract with Total Traffic for said “local” news and traffic, which is owned by iHeart and operated from 6200 Oaktree. The Entercom cluster has a different in-house news/traffic provider. (And if I had to choose between Triv and Sebastian Gorka on WHK, I’d rip my car radio out, set it on fire and throw it out the window.)

Triv never follows a show clock, that’s been his MO since day one, and at his age, no one is going to bother with it. You might be better off waiting a few years until he retires and someone with a broadcast background takes over. For whatever qualities he may have had in 1998, it sure didn’t age well.

John Basalla
    Participant

WBWC 88.3 FM (wbwc.com) has AP Radio News at the top of most hours Monday-Friday between 6:00am and 10:00pm, inclusive.  Those are the times that AP sends a newscast.

skiwest
    Participant

Very sad for a 50 kW powerhouse.  WTAM should be Cleveland’s pride and joy.  I’m not sure how anyone can listen to Triv babbling away endlessly.  I can only take about 10 minutes of him.  I would rather listen to a drunk at the corner bar.

tim131
    Participant

Nathan makes many great points: the talk radio format is heavily white males, age 60+….not a very desirable demographic for most advertisers.

WTAM probably should’ve gone all-sports before 92.3TheFan launched, but back then, they still had at least some ratings in the 25-54 demo. Now, as Nathan pointed out, talk (like classic rock) has wildly & rapidly aged out of ad-desired demos. So, now it’s too late.

And, sure…hold on to Triv as long as they can. What else can they do other than shut the transmitter off & turn in the license? Run it out as long as they make some revenue.

Also….if news (and news at “the right times”) was so important to most listeners, WTAM and other stations would make sure it started on time. Personalities drive what little audience most talk stations get, not news.

As I’ve said for years and years on these boards and few comment (those who do disagree with me): radio is a BUSINESS. What matters most is what makes them the most revenue, at the lowest operating cost, and biggest profits.

In 2019, AM *and* FM station owners KNOW they are in a dying industry. They know and we all know billions of people worldwide get the information they’re interested in on the web…on their smart phones, tablets, and computers. (Whether that information is accurate or not isn’t the issue…that’s where many people now go, not traditional media like radio). Radio stations aren’t going to admit in public they are in a fading industry. They are simply trying to cut overhead/costs & hang on as a business as long as they can. Guys, that’s just reality.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  tim131.

skiwest
    Participant

I doubt Cleveland will ever have an all-news station.  It was tried a couple times in the 70s, but didn’t last very long.  Yes, I know news is available so many other ways now, but when driving, radio is the only option.

Years ago, I used to tune in to KYW at night for news.  Of course a lot of it was Philly news.  Occasionally, I was able to pick up KYW during the day when weather conditions were right, and before 1060 in Canton increased their power.

vjm1
    Participant

Triv is gonna be Triv, and do things on “Triv Time”, and it will be that way as long as he’s “in the air”.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

24/7 all-news radio is impossible to pull off as a stand-alone format. The most recent attempts by CBS (WNEW in Washington, DC, now leased by Bloomberg for his business news format) and Cumulus (WYAY in Atlanta, which gradually went with conservative talk and just got unloaded to EMF… and brief, half-hearted attempts at KLIF and KGO) were dismal failures. And Merlin Media’s “FM News” concept in Chicago and New York were executed terribly and became legendary bombs in the industry. The AP and the now-extinct Talk Radio Network tried all-news formats, and none of them ever had any large-scale clearances (to the point where the AP scaled back dramatically, as John Basalla just mentioned). Even KQV, which had reduced it’s all-news programming to 5a-7p on weekdays, gave up and signed off when the owner lost his billionaire benefactor/bankroller.

Point being, it’s so labor intensive and expensive to run as a full-time format, and the demos aren’t there that much anymore. Even heritage brands like KYW WBBM and WINS, who enjoy strong ratings, are graying in demos. Probably the only exception is WTOP, which Bonneville and Hubbard have invested deeply into digital (and DC’s traffic patterns make the “traffic and weather on the 8’s” a necessity, if Cleveland’s traffic was as continuously bad as Atlanta or DC, Triv would have never been placed in afternoon drive).

“NewsRadio” is sort of a misnomer for WTAM, but “News/Talk” is even less appealing and limiting of a brand.

tim131
    Participant

Nathan’s right: it’s all about branding. That’s the business side.

It’s funny, a friend of mine is always talking about what is convenient & interests HIM on certain stations…but asks me why stations do this or that (I worked in radio for over 40 years). I have to tell him, what’s convenient for some of the listeners is not what these stations have to consider. It is what mix of programming will most likely deliver the highest advertising dollars.

Ratings are even secondary if it is a format that sells to mostly local direct business advertisers. It’s not what sounds cool to hobbyists or even some of the audience. It’s what earns the highest possible revenue & profits.

dannykewl
    Participant

I posted a lengthy reply around 1030 this morning, and it’s gone! Second time this happened to me lately. Not going to go thru all again, but I had many agreements, giving thanks for suggesting WHK and WBWC, so far WHK works. But my main point was even though, during the local programing, WTAM’s news does not start when the promise it … last few months I been using an Echo Dot to listen. I found out today by putting WTAM on an actual radio, and also on the Dot, the online feed is almost 2 minutes behind what goes over the AM airwaves. I’ve measured other stations online being maybe 10 seconds delayed, but 2 minutes?

Another thing I noticed, WTAM tells you to say “Alexa, play WTAM Newsradio 1100 on iHeart Radio”. No longer works, even just saying “Alexa, play WTAM Newsradio 1100” would work. Now the thing that works last few days is “Alexa, play Newsradio 1100”. Mentioning WTAM will get “Hmm. I can’t find that”, and mention of iHeart will get “This station can not be played on Tune In Radio”. Hope this posts this time.

dannykewl
    Participant

I forgot to mention Geraldo guilty as well as Triv for late news. My question is who is running the board and should be prompting these announcers to wrap things up? “Triv, you have 30 seconds, wrap it up”.

I heard a few of the all news formats when I lived on the west coast. Portland had one around 1980, and Seattle during the 80’s, and I think even Spokane had one, much smaller pop than Cleveland metro. But all are 50KW as is WTAM. In fact Cleveland Metro still 3 million? If WTAM covered the whole of NE Ohio, which may be 4M+ people? … why not all news? I know the arguments above, but if all sports can work here on SEVERAL stations, plus WTAM – mostly sports.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php