Something "New" Coming to Fresh 102.7

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: New York / Long Island

As per Lance’s latest article this morning, and AllAccess’ article last night, it looks like Fresh 102.7 will be no more on Monday at 7 AM.

Listening to Fresh this morning, it also looks like they’re going commercial free…not a single commercial the last two hours.

Also, they have several different promos running for the Monday morning flip/tweak, including a snoring one where they claim they will “wake us up”…a switch to CHR? (I find them clever) But WBMP recently flipped from Top 40 to Alternative. Why would Entercom tweak to a Top 40? And Lance’s latest article suggests a step back to go full-on in their pursuit to dethrone WLTW. Isn’t it oxymoronic to claim “New” while going backwards in format from Hot AC to AC?

Lastly, the “New” name wouldn’t really make sense. Albeit the station was a stunt, “101.9 FM New” sounded pointless, and it was a stunt. The WNEW calls are simply legendary, and doubt they’ll have meaning for whatever launches Monday.

PS I will be recording the launch then, both from my HD Radio & non-HD. (In NYC)

Here’s a quick video with today’s TOH and a couple of sweepers promoting the Monday morning flip/relaunch.

Participant

Could WNEW’s new format or approach be modeled after WDOK in Cleveland?  They were relaunched as “The New 102” back in early 2012 for a more hotter approach, but eventually with an ’80s through today approach music-wise.

Participant

Could they be planning Active Rock…

Participant

I typed in New1027.com and it was redirected to the Fresh 102.7 page.

Could WNEW’s new format or approach be modeled after WDOK in Cleveland? They were relaunched as “The New 102” back in early 2012 for a more hotter approach, but eventually with an ’80s through today approach music-wise.

That’d be an interesting route to go! I doubt they’ll do that verbatim. What about “The New 1027 WNEW”?

I typed in New1027.com and it was redirected to the Fresh 102.7 page.

And so does wnew1027.com as well. Wonder what the third will be….
    PS, WNEW will almost definitely be AC, if not Soft AC. One of their latest stingers said, “Your mom worked with Lite. You can take something NEW to your job, starting Monday.” Clear jab at WLTW.

Participant

On a lark, I started trying some “New 102.7”-related Twitter handles–and it looks like @New1027NY is the one that’s being used for at least placeholder purposes.  Likewise, the new (no pun intended) Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/New1027) is apparently now in the process of going live.  (The two have the same logo.)

Also, the current Fresh account on Twitter (@Fresh1027NY) apparently wasn’t active yesterday (Friday), but is very much active today.

Participant

Could they be planning Active Rock…

Active rock? Only if they plan to fail with no ratings and no advertising…

Participant

Why not take advantage of the WNEW calls? We’re over 15 years removed from the sad, prolonged death of WNEW’s infamous “hot talk” format. It’s the best possible time to, heh, start “fresh” and reboot WNEW to a solid AC.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Participant

Perhaps they will brand with the WNEW calls.  We will all have to wait until Monday 7/16 at 7 AM to find out.

Perhaps they will brand with the WNEW calls. We will all have to wait until Monday 7/16 at 7 AM to find out.

“The New 102.7 WNEW” sounds alright, better than just “New 102.7” as some rumors suggest. By the way, AllAccess is the only one to report a 7 AM launch time. None of the promos actually have a time for Monday’s launch/tweak.

Little update: all their sweepers look to have been updated, with “tomorrow” subbed in for Monday. But no time for launch in any sweeper that I’ve heard.

“A new chapter of the 102.7 history is written, tomorrow.” New sweeper just played. Maybe not a very-subtle change?

Participant

“A new chapter of the 102.7 history is written, tomorrow.” New sweeper just played. Maybe not a very-subtle change?

if it was a huge change, they wouldn’t be promoting it.

if it was a huge change, they wouldn’t be promoting it.
    True…but there’s still something a little fishy. Either way, I highly doubt any major shift will occur either. Somewhere in the realm of A.C., whether staying hot, or moving to mainstream or soft A.C.
    PS, the V/O in the sweepers sounds familiar, but can’t put a name to it. Think I’ve heard him on A.C. stations before.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php