Talk Radio status today..

RadioInsight Community Forums Midwest Cleveland Talk Radio status today..

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 49 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  tim131 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author

jimohio
    Participant

Limbaugh – tired, old, boring shtick

Beck – lost a lot of cred with constant Trump bashing in 2016

Triv – seems to have lost a lot of creativity and edge

Nick Camino – kind of a blowhard show

Coast to Coast – ridiculous

Bob Golic  – Unlistenable

Isabella – seems to have cut down or stopped eating and checking facebook when on the air.. interesting when sticking to local topics such as The Akron Beacon Journal/ohio.com and The Plain Dealer/cleveland.com stories, gets a lot of prank callers, I’m assuming a lot them calling him fat..bleeps them out usually, does not have talent to spar with them

John Denning – meh

WNIR morning show – cackle, yuck fest. seems to cater to the less intelligent type

Dennis Prager – thoughtful, interesting

Michael Medved – best part is Disagreement day and Conspiracy day

Hugh Hewitt – has nice glasses

Midnight trucking show – have not heard it lately, interesting show

Really Big Show – used to listen to archives.. I refuse to pay for Land on Demand

Tony Grossi on WKNR – very interesting to listen to

Brian Windhorst – very knowledgable

Cleveland Browns Daily – paid schill, homer show for the Browns, unlistenable

Afternoon on WKNR with Emmit Golden and Jerod Chery – I used to like Jerod on Really Big Show.. don’t listen much to this show.. the first host named I find irritating

David Mortach annuity infomercials – I cannot stand that show and how Triv schills for him… Annuities – beware

Greg Brinda – good show

Dr. Laura – where have you been Dr. Laura

Leo Laporte – THE Tech Guy – very interesting show

Kim Kommando show – decent.. not as technical as Leo Laporte

Car Pro Show – good show for car buying tips

Jim Albright – with Dating show – good, now, terrible

Wheeln and Dealing with Seth Weaver.. – funny

Indians games – borefest

Indians pregame shows – really borefest

Indians post game shows – who actually listens to those.. what is the point

Memorial comments/old shows

Joe Finan – liberal but made it interesting

Gary Dee – king of talk radio locally

Pete Franklin – great show

Bruce Williams – “This is Talk Net”

Car Talk – PBS show, – terrible.. yuck fest with horrible accents

Howie chizek – Dean of Akron radio

Gilly, Rick Gilmore – very funny show

Merle Pollis – People Power

Jeff and Flash as talk on WTAM – dreadful

Flash on WERE – sounded like communist radio

Bob Becker – younger version of Bob Brinker. love him on And then We Shopped and And Then we Ate

Rich Michaels – loud.. very funny show

Bill Randell – the music of your life.. music lives on at 91.5 FM

jimohio
    Participant

edit:

Bob Becker – younger version of Joe Finan. love him on And then We Shopped and And Then we Ate

while I am at it

Bob Brinker – Money Talk.. allegations against him of hiding some market calls.. Used to be on WNIR I Think.. cannot find him locally..

jimohio
    Participant

Add’t updates

Handel on the Law = nice diversionary show

Ex Brimfield Police Chief show on WNIR – never bought into that phony persona

Quinn & Rose, The War Room – bluster

Bill Hall – could be used to induce sleep

Mutual Fund Show, nka Investing sense – a bit antiseptic but can learn some things.. bit heavy on them pushing their advisory services

The Gun show on WNIR = how does this show stay on in these days?

Dave Ramsey –  mixes in some Bible verses and comments which is nice but acts like a d’bag and jerk at times.  His big shtick is having callers do a “We’re/I’m debt free” scream.. that got tired and old after the second time I heard it, comes across often as a piece of work

Clark Howard = pretty good show.. has some tips on saving money.. best part of show is the Clark stinks segments

skiwest
    Participant

Gardening with Angelo – very informative

Bruce Drennan – he loves us

Alan Douglas – talk radio before talk radio was cool

thenetwork
    Participant

Once Glenn Beck promoted his producer(?) Stu to sidekick/second banana and turned it into a morning yukfest is when I gave up on him.  That seemed to before he went off the deep end when he starting discussing the end of the world.

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by  thenetwork.

jimohio
    Participant

follow up.. Art Bell just passed away.

John Basalla
    Participant

I’ll add the WEOL AM930 Morning Show with talker Bruce Van Dyke and Newsman and talker Craig Adams at the helm.  They have entertaining and interesting audio clips, lots of local area guests, and they occasionally broadcast from one of the city’s in their broadcast area.

vjm1
    Participant

Let’s take a little temperature here:

What is the best radio talk show in Cleveland today?

I’ll divide them up into 3 categories:
    General, Mancave, Sports

General Talk:
    Wills & Snyder – WTAM
    Mike Trivisonno – WTAM
    Bob Frantz – WHK
    Nolan, Malone, & Kullik – WMJI

Mancave Talk:
    Really Big Show – WKNR
    Carman & Lima – WKRK (92.3 The Fan)
    Rover – WMMS
    Alan Cox – WMMS

Sports Talk:
    Nick Camino – WTAM
    Golden & Cherry – WKNR
    Baskin & Phelps – WKRK
    Bull & Fox – WKRK

MediaFan85
    Participant

General – Wills and Snyder

Mancave – Alan Cox

Sports Talk – Baskin and Phelps

jimohio
    Participant

General – Howie Chizek

Mancave – Gilley, Rick Gilmore

Sports – Pete Franklin

Cars – Car Pro Show

Ray
    Participant

vjm 1….I have to take issue with your nomination of “Golden & Cherry”. I’d rather listen to Les Nessman give the farm reports and take calls from hog farmers than listen to that show.

Funny story about Howie Chizek, though. Back in the mid 80’s I went to my parents house one off day to help my Dad do some yard stuff. We came in at like 1:30-2:00 to eat and my Mom had Howie on and he was talking about something like dangers to Presidents. I called his show and asked him if he remembered Jimmy Carter defending his rowboat in Germany from an attack by a giant rabbit. Howie berated me, inferred I was on drugs, and made numerous other disparaging remarks.

For the rest of that last hour of his show, and the first part of Joe Finan’s show which came on after, almost all the callers backed up my recollection of Prez Carter fighting off a huge rabbit with an oar. (I had a friend, a US Army MP stationed in Germany guarding the Berlin Wall in the 70’s who’d told me stories about rabbits there the size of dogs that had no fear of humans.)

I never knew Howie personally but knew some who did and said he was a very kind and generous person off the air. But on the air he could be a closed minded pi$$-ant, and sometimes not willing to accept provable facts.

My favorites:

General talk – the old Triv

Mancave – none of the above

Sports – Baskin & Phelps

Side note…The woman that got Andy Baskin fired quit channel 5. Way to go WEWS. Fire a long time employee to be oh so PC…and the girl dumps you a few months later anyway.

Ray
    Participant

Another reader of my last post informed me that Prez Carter faced down the rabbit in Ga., not Germany. But I stand by what I was I told about wabbits and hares in Deutshland.

tim131
    Participant

Since most talk radio went heavy political (yawn!!!!) decades ago….have never been a huge fan of the format.

But, have to say, I too miss the old Triv.

And, while I didn’t listen to his entire show every day, the late Howie Chizek was a master talk show host who easily could’ve done well in much bigger markets. He chose to stay in NE Ohio. He loved it here. KMOX in St. Louis several times tried to hire him away and he kept saying no thank you.

How do I know these things? I worked with him for 3 years at WNIR. And, he was a quiet, almost painfully shy man in person (very similar to Pete Franklin….whom I’m also proud to say was a co-worker for a short period of my on-air career).

jimohio
    Participant

Is there a more boring show than the Bob Golic show?  Can’t he do something else that he may actually be good at? That show is the most boring show I ever heard.

Ray
    Participant

A couple of points…..

Mr. Basalla….I caught a half hour of Van Dyke and agree that shows promise as a morning drive-time alternative. I’ll continue to catch more until I get a better read on it. Thank you for the heads up.

Mr Tim 131….We probably know some of the same people. From what I heard Mr Chizek had offers from more major markets than just St. Louis. And as you said, told them “No Thanks”. He was one of us, and always wanted to stay so. Ballot issues and political races in the Portage, Summit, Stark area were often covered fairly on his show. A refreshing change from the agenda driven stuff aired on stations based in Cuyahoga County. Plus he would give time and discuss such local, VERY LOCAL issues that hardly anyone else would tolerate on their air time.

But while I’ve never heard one single bad word about the man personally (and many, many good words), 5hrs a day before the mic made for some bad moments. Towards the end of her life my Mom used to listen to WNIR daily until she got fed up and would play music. But that was less often than not. Although my Ma really had great taste in music. So it was always interesting radio when going into her house.

Way back when, Larry King did overnight for Mutual I think. I thought that was really good talk radio. But God, that was so long ago. And nobody on this board seems to have ever heard Long John Nebel out of NYC back in the late 60’s or later. He did mostly local, but also talked with national figures as well.

The current state of talk radio stinks, except for sports talk. And let’s face it. There is WAY too much of that on both the local and national level. Sports talk, I mean. There are guys who probably got KILLED by girls in 6th grade gym class dodge ball telling people THEIR supposedly expert opinion about whatever….

I still believe the talent is out there. It just needs a chance.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php