The Future Of WWJZ-640

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Philadelphia

With Radio Disney announcing that WWJZ-640 will be sold-off, it’s interesting as to who might end up buying the station.

One possibility I see is Bloomberg, who would flip it to 24/7 business news.

An outside possibility might be Clear Channel, to move the talk shows syndicated by sister company Premiere Networks to a CC-owned station.

But maybe an ethnic broadcaster would be the most likely buyer.

One problem is while it’s a strong daytime signal; at night, WWJZ’s signal is weak north and west of Philadelphia.

Blocked

Is there a chance Standards could return, before they were bought by Disney and were operating with 1kw Omni from one of WIFI’s towers they had a good signal in the Philadelphia area both day and night, and they had decent ratings.

Participant

Not likely. WWJZ will most likely be sold to a religious or an ethnic broadcaster. There’s not an easy way to make money with standards, which is why it was sold to Disney in the first place.

Participant

Is there a chance Standards could return, before they were bought by Disney and were operating with 1kw Omni from one of WIFI’s towers they had a good signal in the Philadelphia area both day and night, and they had decent ratings.

No chance. Zero. Maybe even less.

Is there a buyer already? The statement from Disney, quoted by Radio Ink, says “at the end of September, we will be selling 23 of our 24 local radio stations….” Not we will put them up for sale, not we will be looking for buyers, but we will “be selling” them at the end of September.

(http://www.radioink.com/Article.asp?id=2827141&spid=24698)

Participant

I’ve been told buyers have been lined up for some of the stations, but no one is saying who those buyers are. The San Francisco board was full of people saying Bloomberg was buying a station. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was buying KMKY 1310. If that turns out to be true, it’s possible he’s buying more than just that station. However, we don’t know at this point.

Participant

Clear Channel is $20 billion in debt. Even if it were able to buy AM 640 for right-wing talk, it would be a short-term solution. Rush Limbaugh’s uber-expensive contract expires in 2016.

As well, Philadelphia is not as important to Bloomberg as New York or the Bay Area.

I can see AM 640 going Catholic. Holy Spirit Radio already has transmitters west and north of Philadelphia; adding AM 640 would let it cover the entire region. I also wouldn’t rule out a South Asian broadcaster given the sizable India/Pakistan diaspora.

Blocked

What station(s) does wwjz protect, with such a strict pattern (null)?

Participant

although that daytime signal is pretty good, http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WWJZ&service=AM&status=L&hours=D, nighttime is terrible. http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WWJZ&service=AM&status=L&hours=N It’s over a part of NJ that’s pretty much barren — as in Pine Barren’s.

WWJZ drops to 950 watts at night to protect the 640 in Toronto; I’d also thin they’re steering clear of the 640 in western MA as well.

WWJZ’s day pattern:
    http://fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine.php?sCurrentService=AM&tabSearchType=Appl&sAppIDNumber=178587&sHours=D
    The night pattern:
    http://fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine.php?sCurrentService=AM&tabSearchType=Appl&sAppIDNumber=178587&sHours=N
    I think there was a CP to move to Horsham Township, and run with 50 kW-D, 39 kW-N.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>oasisrulz wrote:</div>

No chance. Zero. Maybe even less.

Ouch! The last best hope was probably the former Martini Lounge on 1340. This reminds me of WRDR’s sign-off in 1999 … When all the DJs got together for the station’s last broadcast, they said The Unforgettables would be back somewhere before long.

I don’t remember if Radio Disney had started yet on 640 back then — (that was around the same time Radio Disney succeeded the standards format on New York’s WQEW 1560) — but I thought WWJZ would be the logical place for The Unforgettables. Both WRDR and WWJZ were true nostalgia-oriented stations — not the Soft AC format that Standards evolved into.

Well, I guess after 15 years we can forget The Unforgettables.

I think there was a CP to move to Horsham Township, and run with 50 kW-D, 39 kW-N.

From NERW, March 22, 2004:

“Disney’s WWJZ (640 Mount Holly NJ) applies to change city of license to Horsham Township PA. WWJZ would keep its 50 kW day site in New Jersey, adding an 8-tower site near Skippack in Montgomery County for 25 kW at night.”

http://www.fybush.com/NERW/2004/040322/nerw.html

Participant

Along with WQEW 1560 and WWJZ 640, the former WHOO 990 Orlando Florida (another pretty huge signal, at least in the daytime, and which covers DisneyWorld) also used to be Standards before switching to Disney. Those three stations most likely are the most powerful ones on the Atlantic coast. Perhaps someone here knows if the Standards on WWJZ in the early 90’s ever showed in the Philadelphia ratings ….

It’s both ironic and sad how time marches on and slips away from these former powerhouse signals. WKBW, WTOP, WPTR ….. But as deejub suggests, Disney already appears to have takers for some of them. The big signals in the big markets obviously will be first to get snatched.
    Vis-a-vis all three of those big Atlantic stations: They all failed with a super-old audience and a super-young demo. There’s no music format left in the middle which already isn’t being overserved by the FMs. And the new programming on 640 (or 1560 or 990) is likely to be of the sort that satisfies nobody posting here and elsewhere.

The bet here is that WWJZ is one of the first ones taken, though. That is one mammoth signal in the day, able to be taken from the south shore of Long Island all the way to Pottsville PA on a car radio. And they get Philadelphia thrown in as a bonus. Perhaps some outfit from New Jersey proper will get some mileage out of it, literally and symbolically.

Keymaster

Interestingly, in sitting down to analyze what’s really likely to happen to the Disney signals in the northeast for tomorrow’s NERW, I reached exactly the opposite conclusion: the prospects for WWJZ are actually rather worse than for WQEW or the Boston or Pittsburgh AMs.

Why is that? And who’s most likely to end up with the signal? I’m not giving everything away for free…it’ll be up on fybush.com at 5 AM Monday. (You do subscribe, don’t you? If not, single columns are now available for purchase, too.)

Interestingly, in sitting down to analyze what’s really likely to happen to the Disney signals in the northeast for tomorrow’s NERW, I reached exactly the opposite conclusion: the prospects for WWJZ are actually rather worse than for WQEW or the Boston or Pittsburgh AMs.

Why is that? And who’s most likely to end up with the signal? I’m not giving everything away for free…it’ll be up on fybush.com at 5 AM Monday. (You do subscribe, don’t you? If not, single columns are now available for purchase, too.)

My guess is because the Boston and Pittsburgh stations actually cover their COL at night, while WWJZ does not — their puny 950-watts nighttime signal is mostly wasted over the NJ Pine Barrens.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php