Tigers baseball could return to WJR 760 after 16 years!

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Cleveland

WJR is in talks to get MLB Tigers and NHL Red Wings, starting next year; nothing guaranteed yet. I bring it up because for many years in the 90’s, I would listen to WJR for Tigers baseball, especially the Detroit perspective on Cleveland baseball. It would be cool if the 50k watt WJR got the Tigers back and the games could be heard in Cleveland any other areas. WJR 760 comes in like a local, so I put the thread in this forum.

Participant

You’re delusional. Detroit radio has NEVER targeted Cleveland! And nobody in Cleveland cares about the Tigers or hockey except people who used to live in southeast Michigan.

This is a Detroit topic and belongs on the Detroit side of the board. Mods, please move if at all possible.

Not saying WJR targets Cleveland, but the signal is listenable on most radios in northern Ohio. My point was that is would give Indians fans the chance to hear Tigers play by play. I’m sure most people (including myself) root against the Tigers but still find the games interesting. We have not had the opportunity since the Tigers left WJR around 2000.

Participant

Charles:
    And why should they remove it? I used to listen to some Tigers games on WJR for the same reason. And If you have a problem with the way this board is run, contact the moderators privately..

Participant

I used to occasionally listen to the Tigers games on WJR years ago. It was kind of neat listening when the Tigers were playing the Indians. The legendary Ernie Harwell was doing the play-by-play on WJR at the time. When a foul ball went into the stands, he would say it was caught by a man from Lakewood or Chagrin Falls or some other place. I was amazed how he know where they were from, but later I realized he was just making it up.

Participant

This is a board I have to believe is 95%+ read by radio hobbyists or people in the radio-TV media business.

In this case, the Tigers possible return to a 50kw Detroit-based AM who has a better signal across the Cleveland metro than many AMs licensed to NE Ohio…is of interest.

So, it’s a great story that makes total sense on a hobbyists/media board for Cleveland.

Thanks for posting, Timothy. Wish KDKA 1020 would get the Pirates back for the same reason.

Participant

I’m thinking maybe the Tigers want to have their own sandbox, and not have to share WXYT AM/FM with the Lions or Red Wings anymore.

Participant

I’m thinking maybe the Tigers want to have their own sandbox, and not have to share WXYT AM/FM with the Lions or Red Wings anymore.

Which might take Greater Media – owner of “Detroit Sports 105.1” WMGC (which BTW has WHK alum Matt Dery as a midday host) off the table for any possible deal. WMGC inked a wide-ranging deal with the Pistons – another WXYT-FM defection.

One has to remember that CBS basically took the WTAM “all the balls” formula of snatching up all available major league PBP contracts when they flipped WXYT/1270 to all-sports in 2001. The Tigers and Red Wings left WJR because then-owner ABC didn’t want to spend the money… and that was the case across the non-ESPN Disney radio station group… WABC lost the Yankees to WCBS that same year.

Money talks, and it may not be as much a shock as you’d think to see WJR land the Tigers and Red Wings again. But not for sentimental reasons… moreso for the overall viability of WJR. KABC landed the NHL Kings last season in an interesting, long-term deal, and that station is in ratings oblivion… meanwhile, WJR is one of the better performing talk stations in Cumulus’ entire portfolio.

If the Tigers (and Red Wings; assume that it’s a package deal) leave WXYT-FM, it will be for the same reason why the Browns left iHeartMedia Cleveland for CBS Radio and WKNR. Money and attention.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

To Charles Everett…Dude, you’re being a wet wipe! Detroit is only 2 hours from Cleveland, and there are tons of Detroiters who moved there.My father is from Detroit, and raised me up on Tigers baseball and all the Detroit teams. As a kid, I listened to WJR, as well as WWJ, for Detroit sports from the Red Wings to the Pistons. And the guy from Cleveland is right, WJR comes in like its local in Cleveland…its even listed in the radio guide in the paper as a station that can be recieved “locally” just like CKLW. Back in the day, WJR, like CKLW, used to read off Cleveland weather along with Detroit, because they knew they had audience over here…no lie. So don’t be quick to trash someone from Cleveland about WJR…a ton of Clevelanders grew up on that station, especially back in the day when JP McCarthy, Ernie Harwell and others were ruling the roost on ‘JR.

Participant

Since most of y’all are a bunch of name-calling children, I’ll be blunt:

The 60s and the 70s are over, man!

Your obsession with out-of-market signals has made y’all a modern-day Rip Van Winkle. You were sleeping when music migrated to FM and you were sleeping while AM radio became spoken-word. Now you’re just waking up and realized things aren’t what you want them to be.

WJR “is listenable on most radios in northern Ohio”? WJR carries Rush Limbaugh, who’s more easily heard on local WTAM.

WJR is “even listed in the radio guide in the paper”? Newspapers haven’t published radio guides for years.

WJR “can be received ‘locally’ just like CKLW”? Sorry, boys, NOBODY listens to Detroit radio or Canadian radio on the North Coast. That was true even before Arbitron stopped listing stations that don’t subscribe.

Enjoyed hearing Ernie Harwell? He is DEAD — and before that he was fired by the Tigers.

If you can’t accept those facts, you are really farked.

CBS Radio is favored to retain the Tigers’ radio contract. You live in northeast Ohio and want to see (or hear) the Tigers, order an out-of-market package via MLB.com. Or maybe y’all are too poor to afford a tablet/phone/laptop?

Participant

I’m raising my hand. I’m a North Eastern Ohio listener who routinely listens to Canadian radio (Am740, “Zoomer Radio”), and CKWW (AM580 Windsor/Detroit). They both have a more interesting mix of music. I am not a regular listener to Rush Limbaugh’s show, but prior to the arrival of Dennis Prager on another station, I used to dial up “El-Rushbo” on WTAM/WWWE 1100AM. When he wasn’t on the Cleveland affiliate due to sports play-by-play, I’d dial over to WJR on my cheap Radio Shack portable radio and he could be heard just fine.

It’s really not that serious. Just a fun radio board where people can state their opinions and observations. I respect your opinion on WJR but I disagree, Charles Everett. Name calling is not necessary on either side of the debate. I do have a smart phone and tablet by the way. As a 37 year old, I still listen to AM and like to occasionally DX, even with the other modern technology. I call for a truce.

Participant

Since most of y’all are a bunch of name-calling children, I’ll be blunt:

The 60s and the 70s are over, man!

Your obsession with out-of-market signals has made y’all a modern-day Rip Van Winkle. You were sleeping when music migrated to FM and you were sleeping while AM radio became spoken-word. Now you’re just waking up and realized things aren’t what you want them to be.

Lighten up, Francis. Your tone on these boards has always been abrasive, vitriolic, venomous and mean-spirited. It’s always been irritating to read your posts.

I’m going to hit the “Ignore User” button on you, as I would suggest others following this thread do. Quite frankly, you really aren’t worth the attention.

Participant

It’s really not that serious. Just a fun radio board where people can state their opinions and observations. I respect your opinion on WJR but I disagree, Charles Everett. Name calling is not necessary on either side of the debate. I do have a smart phone and tablet by the way. As a 37 year old, I still listen to AM and like to occasionally DX, even with the other modern technology. I call for a truce.

Timothy, I know your heart is in the right place. But you’re all better off hitting the “Ignore User” button and leave him be. It’s a nice little feature that Lance set up for situations like these.

Posters like Charles (and I have followed his anger-filled posts elsewhere on these boards) won’t go for a truce of any sort. It’s a sort of trolling… don’t feed the troll any more.

Keymaster

Charles has been warned before. I’ve given him lots of rope because he’s been a very longtime contributor to various sites in which I’ve been involved, but I don’t know where the anger issues are coming from and I agree that they’re not appropriate for this community.

Here’s the deal:

At least for now, this community is a fairly low-traffic environment in which Lance and I haven’t had to do heavy-handed moderating. Which is a good thing, because both of us have been very busy lately on other projects that, frankly, are a lot more interesting to us than arbitrating disputes about whether a post about WJR should or shouldn’t go on the Cleveland board.

If you’re looking for a site that does that kind of heavy-duty moderating, this is not the site you’re looking for.

If you’re going to complain (or even bother pointing out to us) that you think such moderation is needed…again, you’re in the wrong place.

The software that powers this community has plenty of useful “ignore user” and “ignore thread” functionality.

If there’s a post or a poster that you find merely annoying, use those functions. It’s not necessary (looking at you here, too, Nathan) to point out out that you find that post or poster annoying. Just ignore him/her/it and move on with your lives.

If a post is actually abusive or otherwise in violation of our fairly loose Terms of Service, then we’d ask you to bring that to our attention, of course. But consider this the official notification that for us, here, we simply aren’t going to engage in the sort of nitpicky moderation that some here seem to desire. We don’t have the time or the interest, honestly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php