Today's Radio Deals in the NYC Market

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: New York / Long Island

• Participant

I have a question since I am not in the radio business.  NASH-FM will go to Entercom in an LMA.  Is this a legal way of circumventing the maximum number of stations a company can own in a market?

My speculation as a hobbyist:

NASH-FM will be essentially the same with some minor tweaks.

Christian music and the WKLV calls will come to 95.5 FM.  Cumulus will park the WPLJ calls in a small market.  The station now at 96.7 HD2 will move to 96.7 HD1 with different calls.

Participant

I have a question since I am not in the radio business. NASH-FM will go to Entercom in an LMA. Is this a legal way of circumventing the maximum number of stations a company can own in a market?

I believe that the LMA is only a short-term measure–i.e., until the sale closes.  Beyond that, I think that Entercom can add an additional FM (e.g., WNSH) and still be within the FCC’s market caps.  If the stations were still owned by CBS, though, it’d be a different story–as the caps would also include the TV stations.

Participant

Maybe EMF will keep the calls, WPeopleLoveJesus 😉

Participant

Intercom can own 8 stations total in the NYC market with no more than 5 in one band [AM or FM]. Thus, once the LMA starts and the sale clears later on, Intercom will own:

AM BAND:

WFAN 660

WCBS 880

WINS 1010

FM BAND:

WNYL 92.3

WNSH 94.7

WCBS 101.1

WFAN 101.9

WNEW 102.7

As Eric Jon noted above, the TV station [WCBS CH. 2] is no longer in play once CBS Radio transferred ownership to Entercom in November 2017. Entercom had this one FM “card” they were holding from then until now, waiting for the right opportunity.

CBS Radio was successful back in 2012 in convincing the Dept. Of Justice that WLNY-TV 55 Riverhead should not be considered as being in the NYC market.

This allowed CBS Radio to acquire the WRXP 101.9 signal from Merlin Media, bringing it’s allotment up to the limit at that time [1 TV, 3 AM, 4 FM].

Participant

Lance also raised an interesting point in today’s follow up to the big announcement. EMF made its escrow payment on this deal back on December 31. Not a word leaked out…not even a rumor. Nothing! That’s pretty amazing.

Participant

Lance also raised an interesting point in today’s follow up to the big announcement. EMF made its escrow payment on this deal back on December 31. Not a word leaked out…not even a rumor. Nothing! That’s pretty amazing.

<a href=”#185525″ bbp-url=”https://radioinsight.com/community/topic/todays-radio-deals-in-the-nyc-market/#post-

185525″ bbp-author=”limegrass69″ class=”d4p-bbt-quote-link” rel=”nofollow”>Quote

There was not even a rumor.That means the employees were totally blindsided. Having been in that situation in my non-radio job, I tell you it really sucks. I know it to a degree it is the nature of the business, but this really came out of nowhere. I feel for them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php