translator signal

RadioInsight Community Forums Northeast Boston translator signal

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Tom McNally 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

rapking
    Participant

AM signals with FM translators , Does AM station have to say there FM translator signal call letters ( numbers ) at the top of the hour ? I been listening to WZBR and I never hear them say 98.1 call letters .

OldNewsGuy
    Participant

AM signals with FM translators , Does AM station have to say there FM translator signal call letters ( numbers ) at the top of the hour ? I been listening to WZBR and I never hear them say 98.1 call letters .

My understanding is….That the AM & FM must be a 100% simulcast**.
    I believe a translator is only required to be identified 4 x’s a day.
    I could be wrong.
    (**Now, how would the legal technical types rule on a station that aired each legal ID separately through automation, etc….?)
    😉

Neg Ative
    Participant

My understanding is….That the AM & FM must be a 100% simulcast**.
    I believe a translator is only required to be identified 4 x’s a day.
    I could be wrong.
    (**Now, how would the legal technical types rule on a station that aired each legal ID separately through automation, etc….?)
    😉
    The same way BU and U Mass Boston identify the other stations … just read the list.
    A FM translator that is paired with a Class D AM ( Daytime only) can operate at night with programming that is not simulcast, as the AM is off air.
    You are correct about the translator not having nearly the same legal ID requirements as the AM that feeds it.

Tom McNally
    Participant

With the proper equipment, a translator’s callsign NEVER has to be spoken.   It is allowed to be sent in Morse Code, once an hour (at no particular time) using FSK (Frequency Shift Keying) which is basically silent.   If a station wants to do it by voice, it has to be done a minimum of 4 times a day.    It could be done every hour, but why … just promote the frequency.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php