True Oldies in Cleveland

RadioInsight Community Forums Midwest Cleveland True Oldies in Cleveland

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  scottyboy 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

MediaFan85
    Participant

Does anyone see a real oldies format (not classic hits) coming to Cleveland in the future?

tim131
    Participant

To be honest, no.

Why? The format’s demo is way too old to be attractive to the majority of advertisers. Even if you get 100% of folks 65+, good luck trying to write enough ad dollars to be a viable radio station.

Most businesses seek listeners in their “core spending years”….mid-late 20’s, 30’s, 40’s….and buy a wider variety of products & services than folks over 60 or 65.

This is not my opinion. I’m “old” too. It’s just reality based on 30+ years in local advertising sales.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  tim131.

skiwest
    Participant

Yep.  Us old folks only buy Depends and hearing aid batteries.

Yekimi
    Participant

Should probably call it something other than True Oldies since Scott Shannon has a lock on that name……unless that’s what you are referring to. Besides you can now listen to his service on the internet if you inclined to do so.  http://www.trueoldieschannel.com/

tim131
    Participant

I knew somebody would debate this. 🙂 Old people only buy adult diapers & hearing aide batteries. Nice, but ancient claim.

While folks 65+ DO have discretionary income, the overwhelming amount of significant, lifelong purchases are with folks in their 20’s-mid 50’s. These are the years most folks tend to start families, buy homes, and accumulate most consumer items. It’s simply a matter of what time in consumer’s lives they purchase the most items & the number of people age 25-54 is much greater than 65+.

If there truly was huge amounts of money that actually got spent on consumer items from folks 65+, there would be a gazillion radio formats & TV shows targeted to 65+.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  tim131.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  tim131.

scottyboy
    Participant

There is an oldie format currently being broadcast out of Oberlin,Ohio.WDLW 1380 AM.And it’s 107.7 on FM.And it does play real oldies.Doo Wop.Early rock n roll.Alan Freed type stuff.60’s hippie stuff.Original hits by the original artists.You name it they can pretty much play it.Hopefully you can pick it up in your area.

skiwest
    Participant

If there truly was huge amounts of money that actually got spent on consumer items from folks 65+, there would be a gazillion radio formats & TV shows targeted to 65+.Quote

Don’t need a gazillion, but a few formats for that age group would be nice.  Years ago, there was something for everyone on the radio.

John Gallagher
    Participant

I used to voicetrack for a few years for 1360 WOW (WWOW) over in Conneaut. Their format is called Boomer Tunes and they have music from the late 1950s through the late 1970s.

https://www.1360wwow.com/WWOW_1360AM/Welcome.html

Nathan Obral
    Participant

There is an oldie format currently being broadcast out of Oberlin,Ohio.WDLW 1380 AM.And it’s 107.7 on FM.And it does play real oldies.Doo Wop.Early rock n roll.Alan Freed type stuff.60’s hippie stuff.Original hits by the original artists.You name it they can pretty much play it.Hopefully you can pick it up in your area.

WDLW’s FM translator is at 98.9, not 107.7 (that belongs to sister station WOBL/1320).

They are a station that kinda defies gravity; the current format launched in late 2002 and has become very successful on such a limited AM signal (in an economically challenged area like Lorain) with no voicetracking and no satellite programming whatsoever… and Ted Alexander’s 10,000 oldies song library to boot (albeit with no jingles and a mostly evergreen imaging presentation). They super serve their audience with local content, including former WTAM newscaster Michael Kelly as news director and a lot of high school sports (full disclosure, I helped as an assistant to their high school football coverage for a few years, so I was able to see some of how they operate). I have heard hints that WDLW and WOBL might finally be entering the streaming scene real soon. I hope they do.

But that’s really how the 1955-1972 oldies format can be sustainable, as a small-market niche format buoyed by a lot of local content and a sales-first direction. It just can’t work on a full-power FM in a major market, even Denny Sanders realized that when he traded out the 50s songs and added 70s tunes on WMJI before being unceremoniously dumped by Clear Channel in 2001.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

scottyboy
    Participant

Yes I forgot that it was 98.9 on FM.I just leave it on 1380 AM because it picks up better where I live.They have good DJs….I don’t know anything about the economics of it but the DJs can’t be getting rich working there.But they all act like they really do care about what they’re doing….I like the fact that you can hear early rock n roll and doo wop songs that you don’t hear on any other stations today.Other than having your own collection of this type of music,nobody plays this stuff in Cleveland anymore.Anywhere from Gene Vincent,Carl Perkins,Bill Haley and Buddy Holly then all the way to The Tokens,The Flamingos,The Coasters and The Platters and more are all played on a daily basis at WDLW.Original hits by the original artists.Plus they don’t have a ton of commercials that you have to listen to every other 5 minutes like the garbage on Cleveland radio.Support WDLW in Oberlin if you can pick it up in your area.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php