Van Richie Leaves WGNY-FM for WALL, Sunny Joe Allen Takes Over At WGNY -FM

RI Community Forums Northeast Hudson Valley / Albany Van Richie Leaves WGNY-FM for WALL, Sunny Joe Allen Takes Over At WGNY -FM

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Towerclimber31 Towerclimber31 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Warren Hodges Jr
    Warren Hodges Jr
    Participant

I was scanning the dial this morning when I noticed a familiar voice in an unexpected spot. As of this morning Van Richie is the new morning man on 1340 WALL, Middletown, also heard on translators 94.1, 94.9, 105.7, 106.1 and WPDH- HD2. Van was demoted to mid-days a couple of months ago on WGNY-FM, replaced by Bob O.
    Mark West who is responsible for putting local oldies on WALL this time moves to evenings 7PM- Midnight. Neversink media must be doing well if it can afford big ego Van and have a live programing in the evening, while many stations in this area at least are syndicated or voice tracked.
    Taking over mid-days at WGNY –FM is veteran broadcaster Sunny Joe Allen

Profile photo of Towerclimber31
    Towerclimber31
    Participant

Just when you though you had seen all the absolute bushwacking possible in the broadcast industry.

This is absolutely incredulous that Mark West, who kept the memory of WALL alive and well gets shuttled off to Never Never land in the Neversink world.  WALL doesn’t exist without him.  What could have happened that makes this right?  Someone at Never Never land really needs to get checked out.   Tracking 7-12 is nuts.  Worse, mornings at WDLC or whatever it is being called these days is just plain silly.

Van Ritchie’s tired Mission Impossible promos and shtick doesn’t hold a candle to Mark.

Neversink wins the Cumulus-Cheap Channel Scrooge award for the month.

Warren Hodges Jr
    Participant

That was exactly my reaction. He represents hometown radio, which Neversink promotes themselves as, at its finest. Mark kept WALL alive on his dime, buying time from Townsquare, and selling what commercials he could.
    Van Richie has the bigger name in the Mid-Hudson Valley , especially in the Newburgh- Poughkeepsie area. But his shtick is as old as he is. He must be pushing 80, and he is still doing the same thing he has done for decades. Why else would Sunrise, demote him to mid days and then let him leave?
    He has a good radio voice, but the huge ego to match. I suspect he used this to promote himself. Maybe Neversink thought this was a good “opportunity” to get a well known name outside Middletown. I wonder how they afford what he thinks he is worth. This may come to bite them in the butt, with blowback from listeners.

Towerclimber31
    Participant

I’m trying to kid myself into believe that some “experts” know something that I don’t know regarding this situation.  It totally defies logic.  On the surface, this really seems totally arbitrary and capricious.

If is something related to performance and Neversink was unhappy with what Mark was doing on air, I think we can all agree that Mark has earned a high degree of latitude to implement any requested changes while executing his shift.

I hate the egg on my face with this.  This isn’t really something that is supposed to happen at a locally owned radio station.

Profile photo of musicradio77 TV
    musicradio77 TV
    Participant

I have to agree on your reactions. And speaking of Van, I’ve listened to Sunny Joe Allen on WGNY-FM’s “Oldies 98.9” and he sounds terrific. He is now doing middays replacing Van since he moved to WALL doing mornings. I have several airchecks of Van from his days at WGNY-FM from 2011 through 2015. I stopped listening to Van Ritshie since the last one was from Christmas Eve, two years ago, because he sounded terrible in mornings at that time. Like Warren said that he is close to pushing 80 years old, and I don’t like him anymore. I should stick to Scott Shannon, because he is still the best morning show, and he is on WCBS-FM. I listened to Bob O and he is now doing mornings on WGNY-FM since the day after Christmas 2016 and he sounds really good and does a really good job doing mornings instead of middays. I usually listened to Bob O on middays, but only on weekends, because I listened to JJ Carter on WBPM, its competitor and he sounds terrific, and he is the guy who also did afternoons on WSPK’s “K104” as “Skywalker” on a CHR format.

I started listening to Bob O at 5:30 AM for a half hour until Scott Shannon comes on at 6 AM. I love Bob O, and he is a legend alongside Scott Shannon, JJ Carter, Brian “The Cannon” Bannon, Bob Johnson, Mark West, Joe Manglass, Ross Brittin, Jay Scott, Richie Norris and John Manzi. Those are all of my favorites from different stations.

Towerclimber31
    Participant

No one needs to sound like Scott Shannon.  You aren’t going to get Scott Shannon for a few dollars and a trade certificate to the Guilded Otter.

That said, forget that someone is 80.  I am getting older everyday and certainly don’t to be cast out to sea because I got old.  I would think a mature person could bring excitement to these timeless jewels that a younger person might not be able to, but I think there is a way to present them in a fresh manner.

Having listened in to WALL, I don’t think they are in a better place right now.  Mark sounds good at WDLC and I am hoping the best for him.

Warren Hodges Jr
    Participant

So is Mark doing Country Mornings on WDLC and VT WALL at night. I have heard him on WALL in the evening, and I think the duck is gone, and he is just doing a straight music show.

Profile photo of musicradio77 TV
    musicradio77 TV
    Participant

So is Mark doing Country Mornings on WDLC and VT WALL at night. I have heard him on WALL in the evening, and I think the duck is gone, and he is just doing a straight music show.

I don’t think Mark is on WDLC, he’s still on WALL and I still like Mark West a lot better than Joe Manglass. The Duck sidekick is now gone, but I hope Van might bring the Duck over there.
    I enjoyed Mark West Andy I hope he does a great job doing evening with just playing the music, and none of the talking like he usually do back on his good old morning show. He plays lots of classic hits instead of playing oldies, and he is still sounding good. Keep up the good work, Mark.
    Towerclimber31
    Participant

Yes, Mark is on WDLC 107.7 mornings.  WALL at night tracking a shift.  No, he is not doing the morning show at night.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php
Skip to toolbar