Viewing conflicts you remember

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Classic Television

Do you remember any conflicts with your family members/roomates about what shows to watch, or when two shows you really loved aired against each other? (Obviously this is pre-VCR/DVR.) One I remember was in the early 90s, teenaged me wanted to watch “Fresh Prince” on NBC while mom wanted to watch “Evening Shade” on CBS. I usually won. Any similar conflicts?

I was not quite in my teens in the early 90s (until 1994), and my family wasn’t into TV, but we’d sometimes listen to things on the radio. I don’t remember much in the way of actual conflicts, that is, before I had my own radio so i could listen to whatever station I wanted. I do on a few occasions remember in the car, “Dad? Could you please turn on XXXX AM? I’m having trouble hearing it on my radio.” … when that station is so faint that I can only detect a carrier, or it’s being blasted by adjacent-channel interference whose 50kW tower we’re driving by. And I would even “request” my dad try to get the station even if my portable radio was better than the car radio! :p

Speaking of desired-program listening conflicts, that reminded me of something I’ve thought of a few times. 🙂 I’m kind-of guessing nobody has ever actually DONE this, though. For example, one evening or night…
    Mom wants to listen to some talk show. Johnny wants to listen to a baseball game. Sally wants to listen to pop music, whether it be Disney or whatever.
    Dad: “Well, I’ve got the solution to that!” and tunes the radio to an AM frequency, where all 3 programs are coming in at near-equal strength on different stations. 🙂
    Or, I wonder if there are any places where a family could be listening to some preaching program on a local AM religious station … but the teens are paying more attention to the co-channel rock station ~40dB in the background that the parents aren’t even hearing? 🙂

Or am I the only one that would come up with the concept of taking advantage of co-channel (or maybe, depending on the circumstances, adjacent-channel) interference on AM when different family members want to listen to different programs?

Elsewhere on this board, a conflict from January, 1966 through August, 1967 between “Lost In Space” (airing on CBS-TV Wednesdays from 7:30-8:30 P.M. Eastern/Pacific) and “Batman” (airing on ABC-TV Wednesdays from 7:30-8 P.M. Eastern/Pacific) had been discussed.

During the season-and-a-half that “Batman” ran twice a week (Wednesdays and Thursdays), the Thursday episode got higher ratings, in part because episodes in the first two seasons were split into two parts starting Wednesday and ending Thursday. Since the first minute or so of the Thursday episode began with a recap of Part 1, some viewers only needed to watch the Thursday episode, and on Wednesdays could watch “Lost In Space” (or “The Virginian” on NBC from 7:30-9 P.M. Eastern/Pacific) in its entirety.

Other viewers (like me; I was a few weeks past my tenth birthday when “Batman” premiered) simply watched “Batman” on Wednesdays and once the episode finished at 7:57 P.M. EST/EDT (not bothering to stick around for the final commercial or closing credits), changed channels to “Lost In Space” and watched that show to conclusion.

back in the spring of 1992 i remember that “On Scene: Emergency Response” and “American Gladiators were both on saturdays at 7 id watch “On Scene” then switch to “AG” at the mid-show break at 7:27 i did the same thing with college football and “On Scene” when tyhe gun sounded i would switch to “On Scene” sometimes i had to switch back and forth if the game ran past 7 “On Scene” was on WYFF and college football was on WLOS i would not even wait for the abc sports closing if the game ran past 7 this was from 1990 to 1994

one time my parents got made at me for watching “On Scene” because they liked “Hee Haw” it got resolved very quickly i went to my bedroom to watch the former

my parnets didnt like the nbc sitmons on saturday nights in 1990 so we watched “China Beach” and “Twin Peaks” instead

bpatrick do you remember any viewing conflicts?

I used to have one with my grandfather over the news. Back in the early ’70s, when I’d come to North Carolina for a visit, I liked to watch WGHP’s “Eyewitness News” at 5:30 followed by Howard K. Smith and Harry Reasoner (ABC) at 6. Unfortunately, the CBS affiliate, WFMY, started its local news at 6, followed by Cronkite at 6:30. He was never happy about missing his local news since his TV dial was practically welded on Channel 2 (CBS); always, after Howard K. and Harry ended, he’d say, “Now get the news,” meaning “Now get Cronkite.”

Participant

i had two TV’s so if i wanted to watch two shows so be it did that with “On Scene: Emergency Response” and “American Gladiators” and sometimes with two football games or “China Beach” and a ACC game on Wednesday nights in winter that was how i solved most conflicts

Participant

I used to have one with my grandfather over the news. Back in the early ’70s, when I’d come to North Carolina for a visit, I liked to watch WGHP’s “Eyewitness News” at 5:30 followed by Howard K. Smith and Harry Reasoner (ABC) at 6. Unfortunately, the CBS affiliate, WFMY, started its local news at 6, followed by Cronkite at 6:30. He was never happy about missing his local news since his TV dial was practically welded on Channel 2 (CBS); always, after Howard K. and Harry ended, he’d say, “Now get the news,” meaning “Now get Cronkite.”

don’t laugh: i liked to watch “On Scene” but unfortunately my parents liked “Hee Haw” they were never happy about missing their favorite show i remember my folks were mad at me for it after the 5th time it happened they said “Now if you want to watch “On Scene”, go to your bedroom!” that got my attention so from then on that what i did!i don’t blame them but it changed my attitude towards my folks

Participant

We had enough TVs that I don’t remember this happening at home, but in a motel when we were all in one room I couldn’t watch a rerun of “Hee Haw” because my mother had to watch Lawrence Welk.

Participant

We had enough TVs that I don’t remember this happening at home, but in a motel when we were all in one room I couldn’t watch a rerun of “Hee Haw” because my mother had to watch Lawrence Welk.

i have always been independent of what i watch..id watch “China Beach” while mom and dad watched something else but there is one thing..they would let me watch football on Monday nights they wanted me to watch the movie on NBC but id watch “On Scene” while they watched “Hee Haw” i think i was the only one in the house who didn’t like “Hee Haw”

Participant

back in 1999 the family was in a motel in Tennessee and i was watching a “On Scene” episode on Discovery People which was about helicopter rescues at a multicar accident in Huntington Beach, Cal., and at the Gunpowder River in Maryland, where rescuers try to save two children from drowning and my mom was watching “General Hospital” in her room but that was one case also i wasn’t used to Central Time Zone because both “GH” and “On Scene” both came on at 2:00 instead of 3:00!

Participant

i do remember when China Beach was on at the same time as ACC Basketball on Wednesday Nights(and i was the only person in North Carolina who wanted to watch China Beach instead of ACC Basketball!) i wonder if any ABC stations preempted China Beach for ACC hoops( i know that WLOS did not: WYFF had the basketball games back then)

If so, there would have been two: WWAY Wilmington and WCTI New Bern. I think the ACC games have gone back to WECT in the Wilmington market but at the time, IIRC, WWAY had ACC basketball.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php