WAZL 1490 Hazleton Joins 'Gem 104' "Network"

RadioInsight Community Forums Mid-Atlantic Northeast Pennsylvania WAZL 1490 Hazleton Joins 'Gem 104' "Network"

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Curt Schwarzwalder 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Venerable WAZL has jettisoned their Country format to simulcast the extensive ‘Gem 104’ Classic Hits / Oldies network of AM stations and FM translators.

1490 joins 1460 Tunkhannock and the still hobbled 730 Nanticoke with their translators on (inhale) 92.5, 95.3, 99.9, 101.7, 104.3, and 104.5.

Geos Communications (owner of the other ‘Gem 104’ stations) has owned WAZL since July 15, 2013 – it was purchased for $30.000 according to Wikipedia [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAZL ] -Curt

Autodyne

Gem 104 is noting that they’re “now also heard on 94.5 in Hazelton” (WAZL’s translator W233CB). The 94.5/1490 signal would appear to extend the Gem 104 network a bit South West. I guess local format competitor WLSH might be a consideration, although their FM signal on WMGH doesn’t appear, from coverage maps, to blanket Hazelton.

Gem 104 Coverage Pre-WAZL

Gem 104 is noting that they’re “now also heard on 94.5 in Hazelton” (WAZL’s translator W233CB).

They really need to update that map on the Gem 104 website. It also doesn’t include the supertranslator on 92.5 with 250 watts at 875 feet on Penobscot that is nearly a class A. That hit the air last April.

I forgot about 94.5 in Hazleton… I think that makes a total of ten frequencies (3 AM, 7 FM) on which to hear Gem. (A decacast?) -Curt

Steve Green
    Participant

This has more to do with the DX board, I realize.
    But still, this is the NEPA forum :- )

WGMF 1460 remains the closest unheard station here. I did manage to parallel them one day with WNAK, but that was in (of all places) Hazleton. That was when WNAK was going full-copper operation.
    See, our little DXing group observed the prevalent ‘unofficial’ rule of AM catches. That went, ‘You have to hear a station within ten miles of the den you began keeping track, or it didn’t count on that totals list.’

So my next move was to get out the USGS maps and drive to a spot 9.999999 miles from here, in the direction of Tunkhannock. Hence; it’s cool to know that WAZL, a semi-local, is not just a new barometer but is also just three frequencies away from WGMF, lol. It makes things a bit easier. Or at least it should.

Anonymous

Looks like WAZL, the mighty 1490, was sold to JMJ Broadcasting:

FCC Database Info

Looks like WAZL, the mighty 1490, was sold to JMJ Broadcasting

So WAZL will likely be a simulcast of WQOR 750 AM Olyphant – EWTN Catholic Radio.

WAZL is now WQOR’s sister station being purchased by JMJ, this is a good fit for them. The 94.5 signal has been retained for Gem in Hazleton.

…The 94.5 signal has been retained for Gem in Hazleton.

So 94.5 is technically now another translator for 730 Nanticoke? WZMF returned to the air with a normal signal just over a month ago after being all but silent for a year-and-a-half.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php