WBMX

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Uncle Kaimbridge 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

rapking
    Participant

I hear that WBMX call letters will be move to Chicago . WBMX ( Mix 104.1 Boston ) about to change format ?

WCOZBoston
    Participant

Entercom will not need three signals pointed towards female audience.  With WMJX in hand, they can focus 104.1 to something different.  Could it be WAAF?  They might want to finally give WAAF a chance to compete in the market with a Boston based signal verses using the Boylston based 107.3 signal outside of the city.  Or, WEEI on 104.1?  Would Beasley consider picking up the Mix format on 92.9?

Joseph_Gallant
    Participant

Chicago’s WJMK-104.3 (now owned by Entercom) has just adopted a classic Hip-Hop format, so that’s where the WBMX call letters could go.

If the current format stays on 104.1, there would be very few available call letter combinations that spell “Mix”.

If WAAF-107.3’s format moves to 104.1, I could see 107.3 become an affiliate of the WEEI-93.7 network, which would give ‘EEI a strong FM signal in Central New England (and allow WVEI-1440 in Worcester) to become 24/7 ESPN Radio.

Or this: Could Entercom keep the WRKO call letters and intellectual property and move them to 104.1?? When iHeart takes over WRKO-680, it’s almost certain to drop most (or all) of the station’s current local programming. Moving ‘RKO to FM could keep that format on-the-air, and being on FM, more people might listen to it!

Joseph_Gallant
    Participant

But if Entercom does decide to flip WBMX-104.1 to alternative, maybe they could use some other branding besides “Alt”.

One problem for Entercom switching to alternative in Boston is that the music in that format might overlap somewhat with WAAF-107.3.

Could a switch of some sort happen later today (November 17th), perhaps around 5 P.M. EST??

BRW
    Participant

I hear that WBMX call letters will be move to Chicago . WBMX ( Mix 104.1 Boston ) about to change format ?

Yes, the expectation they will be used by the new classic R&B station in Chicago launched by Entercom earlier today.

Entercom flips K-Hits to hip-hop ‘104.3 JAMS’

BRW
    Participant

Yes, the expectation they will be used by the new classic R&B station in Chicago launched by Entercom earlier today.

Entercom flips K-Hits to hip-hop ‘104.3 JAMS’

Yes to call letter change. Not sure about the format…yet.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

WBMX is almost universally known as Mix 104.1. The call letters don’t matter much with regards to PPM ratings… look at The Sports Hub.

Entercom can use any other similar-looking callsign on 104.1 after transferring WBMX to Chicago, and it’s likely the station will remain as “Mix.”

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

raccoonradio
    Participant

RadioInsight tweet said Ent. applied to put WBMX calls on WJMK Chicago with the 104.1 here going for WWBX

Eric Jon Magnuson
    Participant

I’m still not sure why Entercom is doing this:  Yes, I know that the WBMX calls have a history in Chicago, but I think that keeping WJMK for the new format is more logical.  Those calls definitely fit the “Jams” identity better, and have more local history themselves–both directly (stretching from “Magic”/”Oldies” to “Jack” and then “K-Hits”), and even indirectly (as an extension of the historical WJJD).  Not only has the station been WJMK for longer than the WBMX calls have been in Boston (including at 98.5), but this would be the first time that the station’s calls won’t start with “WJ”; it signed on as WJJD-FM, then became WJEZ and, later, WJMK.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

I’m still not sure why Entercom is doing this: Yes, I know that the WBMX calls have a history in Chicago, but I think that keeping WJMK for the new format is more logical. Those calls definitely fit the “Jams” identity better, and have more local history themselves–both directly (stretching from “Magic”/”Oldies” to “Jack” and then “K-Hits”), and even indirectly (as an extension of the historical WJJD). Not only has the station been WJMK for longer than the WBMX calls have been in Boston (including at 98.5), but this would be the first time that the station’s calls won’t start with “WJ”; it signed on as WJJD-FM, then became WJEZ and, later, WJMK.

Maybe the end game is to slowly segue 104.3 into a mainstream urban format with either the “Mix” name and/or usage of the WBMX calls. Who knows.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Joseph_Gallant
    Participant

WWBX?

While it could mean no change in format, it looks to me like they’d be call letters for an alternative-rock format.

“X 104-1” anyone??

Eric Jon Magnuson
    Participant

Maybe the end game is to slowly segue 104.3 into a mainstream urban format with either the “Mix” name and/or usage of the WBMX calls. Who knows.

Entercom almost certainly can’t use “Mix” in Chicago, though–as Hubbard still has the highly successful WTMX.  (Entercom does, however, use it on Milwaukee’s WMYX–even though that shouldn’t really matter here.)  That begs another question:  Would Hubbard still have an issue if Entercom ends up using the WBMX calls (but not “Mix”) as part of 104.3’s branding?  I don’t know how recent it is, but it looks like Hubbard is currently including the WTMX calls throughout the station’s online properties.

Uncle Kaimbridge
    Participant

BMX = “Black Music Experience”?

~Uncle Kaimbridge~
           02205–2602–029
      [42.3509°N–71.0538°W (FN42li34nf)]

**** Void Where Permitted;
            Limit 0 Per Customer. ****

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php