WBZ move to Medford

RadioInsight Community Forums Northeast Boston WBZ move to Medford

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  BRW 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

spt87
    Participant

Granted – I don’t know first hand what makes a good radio studio but it looks like iHeart built out a first class set up for WBZ radio in Medford.  In the tours shot by staff on facebook and twitter they joke about how everything works and seem enthusiastic.

Question on my mind – what about the backup transmitter and tower in Allston?  Is iHeart going to continue to pay rent to keep that in place, will they move it or get rid of it?  Hopefully they don’t just get rid of it as it seems to have been useful over the years to keep them on air 24x7x365 (at least locally).

High Tides
    Participant

It was briefly used yesterday or Thursday (I can’t recall which), most likely to facilitate some technical alterations having to do with the move.  So my guess is that it’ll remain in place.  Given that CBS let iHeart rent the station’s old studio space for almost a year, I don’t see why that couldn’t (or wouldn’t) continue regarding the tower.  (After all, it’s not like it’s in anyone’s way. 😉

Eric Jon Magnuson
    Participant

High Tides
    Participant

Hmmm.  Interesting comment by Scott.  I wonder who got “left behind”?

raccoonradio
    Participant

From Tom Taylor
    “Just as iHeart moved Boston’s news/talk WBZ/1030 – “a few surprise announcements.”
    Traffic reporter Jim Ryan learned he was out “mid-shift” last Friday, says Scott Fybush of Northeast Radio Watch. Also learning his fate that day was Matt Smialek. He and Jim won’t be relocating from 1170 Soldiers Field Road to iHeart’s cluster space at 1 Cabot Road in Medford. Scott says iHeart had announced on Wednesday that “veteran production guru Mike Coleman, who’d been with WBZ nearly 35 years” also wouldn’t be kept on. Final broadcast from the space where ‘BZ radio had lived since 1948 was Saturday night.”

nowradioguy

From Tom Taylor “Just as iHeart moved Boston’s news/talk WBZ/1030 – “a few surprise announcements.” Traffic reporter Jim Ryan learned he was out “mid-shift” last Friday, says Scott Fybush of Northeast Radio Watch. … Scott says iHeart had announced on Wednesday that “veteran production guru Mike Coleman, who’d been with WBZ nearly 35 years” also wouldn’t be kept on. …”

Whoa. There was a thread on the other board several weeks ago that claimed Michael was gone, but, at the time, it turned out not to be the case. So, now, you mean, it’s actually true? That is LOW!!! Coleman is a genius, as anyone who’s heard his work on ‘BZ the last several decades can attest. All his commercials tend to crack me up. I hope they are still using him on an out-source basis, since he has his own production/VO operation.

BRW
    Participant

Granted – I don’t know first hand what makes a good radio studio but it looks like iHeart built out a first class set up for WBZ radio in Medford. In the tours shot by staff on facebook and twitter they joke about how everything works and seem enthusiastic.

Question on my mind – what about the backup transmitter and tower in Allston? Is iHeart going to continue to pay rent to keep that in place, will they move it or get rid of it? Hopefully they don’t just get rid of it as it seems to have been useful over the years to keep them on air 24x7x365 (at least locally).

WBZ 1030 will need to find a new backup site in the next few months. CBS just sold the building to a developer and they will be renting back at a new location near their current site once construction is done. 1170 building will be torn down as well as the former ch.68(Ground Round) building as the developer will be putting up riverview condos all along Soldiers Field Road. There’s a total of about 8 acres that will be redeveloped in that parcel of land.

High Tides
    Participant

Given the prices that real estate is fetching in Greater Boston, I’ll bet CBS was given an offer it couldn’t refuse.  The money it’ll gain should build a very, very nice new studio.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

WBZ 1030 will need to find a new backup site in the next few months. CBS just sold the building to a developer and they will be renting back at a new location near their current site once construction is done. 1170 building will be torn down as well as the former ch.68(Ground Round) building as the developer will be putting up riverview condos all along Soldiers Field Road. There’s a total of about 8 acres that will be redeveloped in that parcel of land.

Is the TV38 building big enough for WBZ-TV? If not, then CBS would be best off finding a new home for both stations altogether.

Scott mentioned it in NERW that CBS might not keep TV4 at Soldiers Field Road for long, but the swiftness of this deal is a bit surprising.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

raccoonradio
    Participant

The. Ch 38 bldg, 83 Birmingham Pkway, was owned by CBS and had these stations:

WZLX 100.7 (now iHeart Medford)

WWBX (WBMX) still there

WODS still there

WBZ FM now Beasley in Dorchester.

Entercom may now own building, not sure..WEEI could head there.WAAF could go there if not there yet.
    WMJX probably there?

As of last year WRKO and WEEI were at 20 Guest St.

WRKO now at iHeart Medford.

Never been in building but this vid was around last Nov when a WEEI host walked from Guest St to the 38 building (“Fire Felger!”)

Would Ch 4 fit into the 38 bldg?The new Entercom bldg? See for yourself

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  raccoonradio.

BRW
    Participant

Is the TV38 building big enough for WBZ-TV? If not, then CBS would be best off finding a new home for both stations altogether.

Scott mentioned it in NERW that CBS might not keep TV4 at Soldiers Field Road for long, but the swiftness of this deal is a bit surprising.

‘TV38’ building currently houses 3 Entercom stations – 103.3, 104.1 and 106.7; Two/three more are coming in October/November timeframe – 93.7, 107.3 and 850. Plus all the Entercom office people from Guest Street moving too.

BRW
    Participant

The. Ch 38 bldg, 83 Birmingham Pkway, was owned by CBS and had these stations:

WZLX 100.7 (now iHeart Medford)

WWBX (WBMX) still there

WODS still there

WBZ FM now Beasley in Dorchester.

Entercom may now own building, not sure..WEEI could head there.WAAF could go there if not there yet.
    WMJX probably there?

As of last year WRKO and WEEI were at 20 Guest St.

WRKO now at iHeart Medford.

Never been in building but this vid was around last Nov when a WEEI host walked from Guest St to the 38 building (“Fire Felger!”)

Would Ch 4 fit into the 38 bldg?The new Entercom bldg? See for yourself

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFBwjicgnNY?feature=oembed&w=730&h=411%5D

Magic 106.7 moved from Beasley studios in Dorchester to TV38 building in Brighton almost 7 months ago.
    The renovation work is being done currently on studios that will house WEEI and WAAF. The move should happen later this fall. Yes, Entercom received TV38 building in its CBS Radio acquisition. It consolidating everything into one site.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php