WCBE 90.5 lightning hit.

RI Community Forums Midwest Columbus WCBE 90.5 lightning hit.

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  gabigley1 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

xmusicmatt
    Participant

Came across this at random. Apparently WCBE’s transmitter site took a lightning hit in the storms Monday evening. They are running low power 25 watts and are pleading for money to repair their transmitter.

http://wcbe.org/post/please-donate-wcbe-emergency-transmitter-fund

gabigley1
    Participant

Came across this at random. Apparently WCBE’s transmitter site took a lightning hit in the storms Monday evening. They are running low power 25 watts and are pleading for money to repair their transmitter. http://wcbe.org/post/please-donate-wcbe-emergency-transmitter-fund

Thank you for posting this.. I also noticed this WCBE post this morning while looking for a WCBE podcast. Like I told a local Engineer, WCBE has had more of its fair share of lightning strikes and transmitter failure over the last ten years. Seems like they are occasional begging for money to fix their transmitter and/or antenna.

Tim Anstaett
    Participant

Aren’t they ALWAYS begging for money, for one reason or another?

gabigley1
    Participant

xmusicmatt
    Participant

I feel for them but there is steps they can take to mid-agate lightning damage.. (of course it does cost). I am kind of surprised that Cols BD of ED has held onto this station for so long with the struggles CPS has.

gabigley1
    Participant

UPDATE on the WCBE  MAIN TRANSMITTER OUTAGE IS  HERE:

Trasmitter Update
    By Heather Anderson • Jul 18, 2017
    TweetShareGoogle

(Update 7/20/2017): “After a careful analysis of our transmitter site, our engineers have determined that the damage from the lightning strike was more extensive than originally thought. Additional parts have been ordered to replace fried parts.  There are also several issues with the infrastructure in our transmitter room that need to be patched up. That being said, WCBE won’t be fully operational until next week.

However there is good news! Our backup generator will be installed this Friday. It will allow us to broadcast at 1,000 watts – covering much more of our listening area, and bringing back great sound quality.

Thanks for your continued patience and support!”

(Update 7/18/2017): “Due to several delays and continued equipment issues, WCBE will remain on low power through Wednesday, July 19th.

In a few days, we hope to be broadcasting at 300 watts, with which our signal should carry out to the I-270 corridor. Meanwhile, several of the transmitter components have been ordered and will hopefully be installed on Friday. Thank you for your continued patience through this challenging process. Listeners can still listen to 90.5 on wcbe.org, or via your favorite streaming app.”

gabigley1
    Participant

Noticed  yesterday they appeared to be back on full power. They also have an update:

Trasmitter Update
    By HEATHER ANDERSON • JUL 18, 2017
    Tweet
    (Update 7/28/2017): We’re back up to full-power! Thanks for your support and patience!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php
Skip to toolbar