WCKL?

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 42 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Towerclimber31 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author

BJ Mora
    Participant

Sorry, I normally just lurk here, but I believe someone might be interested in this filing:

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/app_list.pl?Arn=20151130CDP

Doug Smith

Well. The exhibits on that application contain eight more exclamation points than I’ve ever seen in an FCC application before…..

Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View (Nashville), TN

Warren Hodges Jr
    Participant

This is interesting, I wonder if it will happen. This sounds similar to the illegal set up WCKL used a few years ago when then Clear Channel booted him off their property. Even when a properly run WCKL, operating at their full permitted power, they did not reach my home in Hyde Park. So I can’t tell if they are back on unless somebody up near Catskill notices. I do travel to a campground near there during the warm weather months. I checked on WCKL when I was up that way, and I have not heard them broadcasting since July 2014. They have had a STA- silent since this past spring.

Rene Tetro

I am thinking that there could be a protest. It appears that their proposed 250W 0.5 mV/m NDA STA contour could cross WMCA’s licensed 0.5 mV/m contour. So, if the exception occurs, they may have to power it down well below 250 watts.

Rene Tetro
    Director of Engineering
    WNTP-WFIL
    Philadelphia

Warren Hodges Jr
    Participant

Anything that keeps this idiot off the air until the FCC cancels his license works for me.
    However , I did not notice overlap with 570 WMCA, NYC.
    WCKL used to be 1,000 watts directional, with a deep null south, presumably to protect WMCA. While WMCA comes in weakly at my home in Hyde Park , WCKL never did. Several years ago Family Radio Leased the three towers, for their directional signal, on what used to be their home location. A contractor mowing the lawn cut the cable going to one of the towers, forcing WCKL to seek and be granted a STA to operate at 250 watts non-directional from one of the remaining towers. A dispute over this and unpaid rent led to I-Heart Media ( then Clear Channel) evicting Brian Dodge and company.
    Now they want to legally use a longwire setup , which cant be as efficient at the same 250 watts from a location 10 miles or so further north. So how can this cause interference?
    Note I am not defending Family Radio ( not related to the network) Brian Dodge is infamous in these parts for flagrant violations of FCC rules, interfering with other broadcasters, and generally not knowing what he is doing.

lilj

its sad to see those 3 “Sticks” just standing there not broadcasting, a couple of years ago (before Dodge got a hold of it) and “Family radio” owned it, there were simulcasting oldies93.5, and back then the station had a decent signal. one weekend i took a trip out to Central NY to visit family,, and pretty much almost caught them the whole trip out !, from like down in Dutchess County near Red Hook, almost out to Rome !

Rene Tetro

There are two things to consider here.

Firstly, under FCC rules, 1st adjacent signals are not allowed to overlap their 0.5 mV/m contours. I am not saying with certainty that WCKL would overlap WMCA, but it may. Looking at the numbers, WMCA’s 0.5 mV/m northern contour extends to between Poughkeepsie and Kingston. To the NE it extends to around Amenia. So, even with the WCKL STA site being near Coxsackie, the possibility exists for overlap.

Secondly, I remember WCKL in its prime in the 70s. I was working in Albany at the time and traveled regularly up and down the Thruway to my parents in Middletown. That null to the south on WCKL was extremely deep. The station would normally be pretty much gone once I would get to Saugerties. I would suspect that under any STA, as is usually the case, the commission would limit the power to ensure that the maximum inverse distance field in the direction of their null radials does not exceed licensed values. That COULD limit them to just a few watts non-directional.

I would also be concerned about them running overpower at night, which could cause problems with one of my stations, WFIL, on 560 in Philly.

Given the history of the station and Brian Dodge, nothing would surprise me.

Rene Tetro
    Director of Engineering
    WNTP-WFIL
    Philadelphia

Warren Hodges Jr
    Participant

This application to “temporally” locate WCKL’s transmitter site to Coxsackie, as well as another in Brian Dodge’s shell game of licensees of WCKL, transferring it to EBONY MEDIA continue in the accepted for filing limbo.
    Meanwhile, the WCKL STA silent runs out on March 11. Dodge has tried to disregard the word temporary in the past, but this is a matter of law. Could he appeal saying that the continued silence of WCKL is due to the FCC’s inaction on his applications.
    In truth WCKL has been silent much longer than last March.
    Perhaps the FCC has not acted on his applications because of objections filed against it. Could this finally be the end of this sorry tale ?

BJ Mora
    Participant

Warren Hodges Jr
    Participant

This appears to just rehash the same  STA request that “Family Media” applied for last December. The FCC still has that in accepted for filing limbo. The only difference that the drawing of the antenna system references Route 385  , Athens , New York, instead of Coxsackie as the transmitter site. This would put the transmitter closer to the COL of Catskill. I don’t see any actual location on the vague map showing the service couture.

Meanwhile his year of STA-Silent expires at the stroke of midnight, this Friday March 11, 2016.

Don’t you have to possess a certain level of  engineers license to file one of these applications ? Whenever WCKL files something with the FCC it does not appear professional.

BJ Mora
    Participant

Anyone can file, especially with how easy it is to do so electronically. Now whether a non-engineer should file these specialized types of requests, of course, is another question entirely.

Tom McNally
    Participant

Ted Schober filed it, he is a major AM expert in the US.   The drawing seems a bit amateur.

BJ Mora
    Participant

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/app_list.pl?Arn=20151130CDP

Interesting that the STA filed in November was just dismissed, without comment

Tom McNally
    Participant

A new STA cancels (dismisses) the old one.   No reason for comment.

BJ Mora
    Participant

Ah, yes, Tom, thanks. The most recent one was granted.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php