WCQR interfering with Star 104.3

RI Community Forums Southeast Eastern Tennessee WCQR interfering with Star 104.3

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  vchimpanzee 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

vchimpanzee
    Participant

When I was in Maggie Valley listening to the radio in my motel room, I kept hearing two stations at once. One of them was Star 104.3 in Asheville. At first the second station seemed to be disco from the 70s. Later I was hearing Contemporary Christian music, and I finally heard  a station ID, WCQR. That’s in the Johnson City market but it’s on 88.3.

borderblaster
    Participant

Don’t know what to tell you. They don’t seem to have a translator in the area.

vchimpanzee
    Participant

That’s weird because Star isn’t that far away.

Tom McNally
    Participant

I never heard of any of these stations, and had to do some detective work because Star 104.3 WQNQ is actually licensed to Fletcher.    It’s 470 watts at 375 meters.

The WCQR website shows this:

“You can listen to your WCQR on your radio in the following communities”
    Tri-Cities – 88.3
    Greeneville – 93.7
    Wise, VA – 104.7
    Marion, VA – 96.1
    Surgoinsville – 104.3  <<<<<< WEYE 4.1 kilowatts at 121 meters

You were closer to WQNQ, but with a band opening I would think WEYE which is 100 miles away could cause some issues.

… tom

stats
    Participant

Isn’t the real question here why anyone would be in Maggie Valley but sitting in a motel listening to radio?

vchimpanzee
    Participant

Isn’t the real question here why anyone would be in Maggie Valley but sitting in a motel listening to radio?

QuoteThat’s a strange question to ask on a site like this. Why wouldn’t someone who discusses radio enjoy seeing what stations he could pick up and what they were like? In the car would be better but certainly not while driving.

stats
    Participant

No offense intended. My point was simple and certainly not strange at all. Vacation is a time when we get away and enjoy a change of routine. Western NC is one of my favorite areas for travel. With the many options it provides, I found it interesting that someone would instead choose to spend his time sitting in a motel room listening to radio rather than experience the fullness of what areas like Maggie Valley can provide. Like you, I enjoy radio. But when in that part of the country, I’m certainly more focused on change of pace and the beauty of the surroundings. Though I must admit, one of my favorite DX locations was once near there. The parking lot of Clingman’s Dome in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park was once a joy. At that elevation, you could hear FM from seven southern markets — Knoxville, Greenville-Spartanburg, Charlotte, the Tri-cities, Atlanta, Chattanooga and Winston-Salem Greensboro High Point. Though with the glut of 80-90, translators and LPFMs, those days are long gone. Obviously, the old cliche “your mileage may vary” applies.

vchimpanzee
    Participant

It would be interesting to do that in a car. I probably do what a person is supposed to do on vacation most of the time. But that one chance to hear what’s going on is something I want to take advantage of.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php
Skip to toolbar