WDOK, Christmas, and #MeToo

RadioInsight Community Forums Midwest Cleveland WDOK, Christmas, and #MeToo

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  MediaFan85 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

MediaFan85
    Participant

The station has banned “Baby It’s Cold Outside” because of its lyrics, and now they are getting press for it.  Fox 8 even did a story on the move.  Thoughts?

skiwest
    Participant

Why don’t they do a story on hip-hop “music” lyrics?  Oh, wait, that might offend a particular demographic.  I guess they can’t do that.

Yekimi
    Participant

So listeners complained and got it banned. By that logic, if  people call and complain about their commercials, they’ll stop running commercials! Or maybe they just play pop instrumentals, no lyrics for anyone to get upset about. I can see a resurgence of Lawrence Welk’s “Calcutta”!

Crazy Monkey
    Participant

How ’bout they stop playing Mariah Scarey, Wham!, and Lennon every hour on repeat and play more variety of Christmas music.  That’s my only complaint.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

Honestly, a lot of traditional Christmas songs played on the radio are dated and tired as hell. This just reeks of a publicity stunt so people talk about WDOK and tune in to them instead of WMJI.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

cartwright
    Participant

^ agreed. They could have just taken it off the playlist without making reference to it and 99.9% of folks would never have noticed.

mightyvoice
    Participant

^ agreed. They could have just taken it off the playlist without making reference to it and 99.9% of folks would never have noticed.

This is spot on, the story is also starting to get some national attention as well.  Gotta say I never paid too much mind to that song, until hearing it last year and thinking “damn, these lyrics are pretty creepy.”  That being said this isn’t the only Christmas song that leans towards the unsavory…..after all the woman in “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus” is essentially cheating on her husband, lol

Yekimi
    Participant

Add this to the list of songs that people freak out over. A few years ago it was “You’re 16” by Ringo Starr. [Originally done by Johnny Burnette back in 1960. Johnny was the father of Rocky Burnette who had a hit in the 80s with “Tired Of Toein’ The Line”. But I digress.] I remember whatever station I was listening to putting a lady on-air who was raising hell about how “creepy” it was that a grown man was singing about a 16 year old girl that way. I was thinking “It’s a fucking remake of a song 13 years after the original and it’s been 30+ years since it came out. Things were way different back then. If anybody’s the pervert, lady, YOU are if that’s the first thing that popped into your mind. Get it out of the gutter!”

MediaFan85
    Participant

WDOK has actually not posted on their Facebook and Twitter pages since yesterday afternoon.  The backlash has now reached global news outlets.  What could happen going forward?  WKYC-TV reports that Star won’t give in to play the song.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php