were you watching something when the news broke?

RI Community Forums Television Insight Classic Television were you watching something when the news broke?

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 30 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of vchimpanzee vchimpanzee 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of daniel anderson
    daniel anderson
    Participant

my example was on 9/11
    I was watching I guess another channel when my mom told me to turn on ABC because a plane had hit the World Trade Center I waited a few minutes when the second plane hit I did. I knew right then once the towers collapsed that we were under attack. Does anyone remember if they were watching a program and either saw the program interrupted or were told to turn to another channel?

Profile photo of Gene
    Gene
    Participant

I was watching The Weather Channel that morning and they didn’t say a word about what was going on.
    Looking back I think that was strange because they were live and the event was so terrible.
    I didn’t know what was going on until I turned on WHAS 840 radio in the other room.

daniel anderson
    Participant

I actually was watching “GMA” that morning(for some reason I guess because of a big interview) while watching the now defunct Discovery People cable channel at the same time when the bulletin broke in right in the middle of a commercial on “GMA” when you see a commercial get interrupted you know that it is really big news and in that case it was the last commercial anyone saw until Saturday

Profile photo of Bill Recto
    Bill Recto
    Participant

The San Bernardino shootout I was hoping at first this was a hoax but became true. I got a tablet notification at the time while looking at documents and it was KABC 7 that provided the raw feeds from that day.

Bill Recto
    Participant

Lets not forget the OJ Simpson chase from El Toro Y to West Los Angeles that interrupted the NBA Finals and the Loma Prieta quake that interrupted the World Series in the Bay Area.

Profile photo of Kyle G.
    Kyle G.
    Participant

When the Paris terror attacks happened, I was watching Judge Judy on my local Fox affiliate, WSYM 47 Lansing MI, which was interrupted in he middle of the episode by a French broadcast with no subtitles for about 10 minutes, then a British broadcast for about 20 minutes before going back to regular programming. At the time of that report, only 13 were reported dead.

Bill Recto
    Participant

The San Bruno Pipeline explosion back in 2010. That was a Bay Area event and was breaking news during a newscast.

Well there was a Shooting in San Jose that was Breaking News in the Bay Area that got only local attention at the same time that the National Media was on the other side of San Jose reporting on Steve Jobs death.

Profile photo of joseph_gallant
    Joseph_Gallant
    Participant

I was almost 8 on November 22nd, 1963 when President Kennedy was assassinated.

Instead of telling the very long story of my memories of watching news coverage that weekend here, click-on the link below for an article on my memories of that tragic weekend that I wrote in 2003 for the British website Transdiffusion (and for that reason, it is written in “British English” with some phrases used by broadcasters in the &U.K., but not here in the ‘States):

http://www.transdiffusion.org/2004/01/01/darkest .

Bill Recto
    Participant

The San Bruno Pipeline explosion back in 2010. That was a Bay Area event and was breaking news during a newscast.

Well there was a Shooting in San Jose that was Breaking News in the Bay Area that got only local attention at the same time that the National Media was on the other side of San Jose reporting on Steve Jobs death.

This event took place the same day that Steve Jobs died. The Local Bay Area outlets focused on this event

http://gizmodo.com/5838847/steve-jobs-is-dead

http://m.sfgate.com/crime/article/Shareef-Allman-from-God-to-guns-2328364.php

In my Case I was watching two breaking news events at the same time and in the same city. One breaking story only got local attention. The other got national attention.

Profile photo of borderblaster
    borderblaster
    Participant

9/11 I was in the producer’s chair at a Metro Networks office. I had monitors for all 3 networks (as well as traffic cams, and internet “wire” service) all around me and I saw the networks (I think CBS went first with Bryant Gumbel), and the rest is history.

The Challenger crash-I was watching an old Bob Newhart rerun on a St. Louis TV station when they broke in. I had ABC’s World News Tonight with Peter Jennings on when the bombing started in Desert Storm…Peter Jennings proceeded to break in for the full network

I can remember a lot more news events I either learned about while I was on the air or while listening to the radio. In more recent years: Michael Jackson-text from a friend. Whitney Houston-Twitter (radio was asleep for both of these events). Sandy Hook shooting, Colorado Theater, Paris and San Bernadino…all first found out about on Twitter.

Profile photo of Jeremy
    Jeremy
    Participant

San Francisco 1989 earthquake – I was watching local WEWS for the World Series game with Al Michaels and Tim McCarver discussing the upcoming game when the video feed was lost and they came back with audio only and the rest is history. Needless to say that game didn’t proceed that day and it was all earthquake coverage from that point on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUKNvoAAa8s

Bill Recto
    Participant

Here is KGO coverage of the Loma Prieta quake.

Also I lived through the 2014 American Canyon/ Vallejo quake ( Bay Area and Sacramento Media outlets refer to the 6.0 quake) and the national media called it Napa Quake. KCBS radio and CBS Radio News was the first to cover that quake.

Wow I know that the foiled August France attacks was mentioned as 3 Sacramento area men stopping an alleged terrorist got national attention when I woke up and it turned out to be in my current neighborhood of East Sacramento. Oddly enough two of my neighborhoods I frequent happened to be in the national spotlight at the same time one in Vallejo and one in Sacramento

Also I was visiting Vallejo and found out that the tenant was being confronted by Sacramento and Bay Area News Crews because the tenant was being informed that his landlord Vester Flanagan was the mass shooter in the deaths of the Virginia News crew. I actually seen a convoy of TV news vans head to the neighborhood and its two to three block outside my family’s house.

Bill Recto
    Participant

http://m.sfgate.com/news/article/Matthew-Muller-indicted-in-Vallejo-6544287.php

Well I was not watching anything on that day but I saw lots of Sacramento and Bay area stations vans go to Mare island to see if the victim was dumped on San Pablo bay. But the incident later became a Nancy Grace event nationwide. See article.

daniel anderson
    Participant

Re:the 94 NBA finals I was watching the backhaul and when Marv Albert throw it to Tom Brokaw I had never seen that happen before during a major sporting event(maybe the Raiders Bills game in 91 during the gulf war when again on backhaul I heard Dick Enberg throw it to Garrick Utley because the war had gotten hot at just the right time and the Bills scored) I have seen it when it happened on the evening news before though or maybe on the morning shows

daniel anderson
    Participant

I was almost 8 on November 22nd, 1963 when President Kennedy was assassinated.

Instead of telling the very long story of my memories of watching news coverage that weekend here, click-on the link below for an article on my memories of that tragic weekend that I wrote in 2003 for the British website Transdiffusion (and for that reason, it is written in “British English” with some phrases used by broadcasters in the &U.K., but not here in the ‘States):

http://www.transdiffusion.org/2004/01/01/darkest .

that is interesting, Joseph that you were watching “Mike Douglas” while everyone else was watching “As The World Turns” when the first bulletins about JFK hit..makes me wonder if your mom didn’t like ATWT?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php
Skip to toolbar