WGTZ 92.9 in Dayton returns to variety hits

RadioInsight Community Forums Midwest Cincinnati WGTZ 92.9 in Dayton returns to variety hits

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  kent 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

fedacct

They are giving this another try and calling it Jack FM this time.

fedacct

Actually, this station is much better than it was as Fly 92.9.  Comes in better than The Eagle and Big 106.5 in northeast Cincinnati.

chad43358
    Participant

They are using the exact same feed as 103.9 in Columbus. I can receive both where I live, and they are within second of each other. I listen to 103.9 quite often.

fedacct

They are using the exact same feed as 103.9 in Columbus. I can receive both where I live, and they are within second of each other. I listen to 103.9 quite often.

Quote Interesting considering the stations aren’t owned by the same company.  I didn’t think the Jack format was satellite fed.

chad43358
    Participant

I do believe they are. About once an hour they’ll tell you to call “1-866-930-JACK,” which obviously isn’t a local number. They have a Facebook page dedicated to “JACK FM,” which covers the format nationally.

fedacct

I do believe they are. About once an hour they’ll tell you to call “1-866-930-JACK,” which obviously isn’t a local number. They have a Facebook page dedicated to “JACK FM,” which covers the format nationally.

Quote I could be wrong, but I think some stations might have an option to go local with the format.  They don’t all seem to sound quite the same.

kent
    Participant

The way I understand it, SparkNet controls the programming inside the top-50 markets while Dial Global (now part of Cumulus) controls the programming in 51+.  I’m not sure if Dial Global has a locally enabled feed of Jack or not.  I know ABC didn’t when it controlled the rights to the format, but it didn’t have STORQ.  At least some of the Dial Global formats have the ability to add local programming.

On a personal note, I toured the Waitt Radio Networks facility about 15 years ago before Dial Global bought it when a friend and former co-worker worked there.  At the time, Waitt had a satellite network and a data stream, and the jocks usually voicetracked local breaks for individual stations that were locally enabled.  I seem to remember Waitt would send music logs to the individual stations and rely more on the data streams for those formats.  That way, if anything happened to the network or satellite, the station wasn’t completely up the creek.  If Jack is on a system like that, there would likely be some room for customization at the local level.  However, it had a few formats, like Classic Hit Country, that ran on the satellite network and were not locally enabled.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php