What's Jamming Yankee Games?

RadioInsight Community Forums Northeast Hudson Valley / Albany What's Jamming Yankee Games?

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 63 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan Obral 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
  • Author

Annamaria
    Participant

Hi, I listen to the Yankees on the Fan in Beacon, but at around sundown, this big buzz of interference takes over and just keeps getting worse until you can pretty much only hear that. Day games are OK. I’ve lived here for almost a year, and it’s been bizarre, what little info I could get never made sense, I tried listening to the local station, and it said the game would fade at sundown — what’s the deal with sundown around here? —  and it did, now I see here that they dropped ESPN anyway, so I’m not missing anything there. This isn’t a coincidence, I am at a point now where I can tell the time by when the interference bursts in. I tried that TuneIn thing online last year, but they would lose the broadcast and just shrug it off, the worst customer service, you were paying for it and you couldn’t depend on it. I did explore SiriusXM for this season, but to shell out $150 for the regular season and for a lot of other stuff in which I don’t have any interest seemed stupid to me. I know the Yankees suits and ties are all going to burn in hell, you can’t get the game broadcasts online on the Fan, and they don’t seem to care about only 50 or so miles north of the stadium, unless they’re trying to sell merch or something. So basically, I think I’m screwed, which I’m an expert in, but I’m not an expert in Hudson Valley radio, so I’m asking, nothing I can do about this? Thank you!

audioguy
    Participant

It sounds like you may be experiencing interference from the IBOC sidebands of an adjacent channel radio station broadcasting in hybrid digital coming in on skywave after dark. This interference can wipe out reception for a thousand miles or more. What is the frequency of the station you are trying to receive? Do you have an Amazon Echo or Echo Dot? Try asking Alexa to play your station on Tune-In and see if you can receive it that way.

Bruce
    Participant

The Yankee games are not heard on the WFAN stream.  If there is sports talk programming in the evening it will be heard on wfan.com.

Annamaria
    Participant

The Yankee games are not heard on the WFAN stream. If there is sports talk programming in the evening it will be heard on wfan.com.

Thank you both for posting,  I don’t use Alexa or anything like that, but it doesn’t matter, I can get TuneIn through my PC or on my smart TV, but you can’t get the Yankee games without paying, nor, as Bruce said, can you get it on the Fan, for any reason, except on the regular radio airwaves. I didn’t mind paying for the Yankee games on TuneIn if that’s what it took, but as I said, they just didn’t care if they dropped it in the middle of the game and never got it back, and the most polite, responsible response I ever got from their so-called customer service team was a sort of, too bad, so sad. There were a couple of times when it was like a bad movie, “bottom of the ninth, bases loaded, tying run at the plate, full count, and the pitch…”dead air. Audioguy, I listen at 660 AM, it also broadcasts on 101.9 FM but, of course, the AM signal is stronger. It burns me, my train locally goes right to Yankee Stadium, we have so many people commuting to town here daily that the parking lot can’t accommodate them, it’s not some distant outpost, Bernie Williams just had a meet and greet event locally, now that pinhead O’Neill is having one, so there’s an audience, I’m apparently “in the footprint,” but I can’t get the game on the radio, either on the NYC station or a local one. Wish the Yankees on the field were as adept at the squeeze play as their suits and ties. So Audioguy, is there anything that I can do to combat that interference, or am I just stuck?

MTN Productions
    Participant

Interesting question. First up, I’m a long time Yankee fan, but I remember listening to a Yankee game on WKXP/WZAD’s “The Wolf” right up until 2015 when the station lost the rights to WGNY-AM last year when they now carried on formerly “Fox ESPN Radio” which is now “Fox Country”.

I remember back in the 1990’s when WKNY used to carried Yankee games until they stopped carried it in around 2004 or 2005. In 2000, WEOK & WALL use to carried Yankees baseball on the former “ESPN Radio” station in Poughkeepsie until it became “El Ritmo” in 2003 and then they also lost the rights completely. Around 2003, WBPM’s former oldies station “Cool 94.3” began carried Yankees baseball and then when the station went country as “Kicks 94.3” which is now WKXP, and later became “The Wolf”, they continued to carried Yankee games on FM right up until Townsquare took over from Cumulus back in 2015. As of now, there are no Yankees baseball on “The Wolf”, and it has been two years since WKXP/WZAD’s “The Wolf” has dumped Yankees baseball. I live in Kingston, and I still can’t get Yankees baseball on WGNY-AM’s “Fox Country” (formerly “Fox ESPN Radio”), and the only station I can get the Yanks is WFAN which is a 50 KW station. I just picked up the station and it sounds loud and clear at night and most of the day. I also have DirecTV, and I can’t get Yes Network anymore.
    Now, it’s been 2 years, and HV has no Yankees baseball on the radio. It is a total disaster. I hope maybe WKNY needs to bring back Yankees baseball since it has not been on since 2004 or 2005. I hope someone needs to sign a petition to bring Yankees baseball back to the Hudson Valley including his Kingston and the rest of the listening area in the future. I hope die-hard Yankee fans including myself would come back.

Annamaria
    Participant

Hi musicradio 77, you’re not going to jump in and scream your handle in the middle of “Monday, Monday” or “Good Lovin,” are you? 🙂
    I’m usually a good one for making noise or a stink about things, but I really think Yankee ownership is so arrogant and so obnoxious, it would be a waste of time. I’m not on social media, but I think a good tack would be to tweet at all of their radio advertisers that they should double-check what kind of coverage they are being quoted when they are quoted ad rates, I have a feeling that they may not realize how many people aren’t hearing the game that they think are hearing the game…

Why can’t you get the games on DirecTV, everyone in NY state is supposed to be able to get them on DirecTV? I had DirecTV, which I got when Yes was formed, because those wingnuts at Cablevision weren’t carrying the network, but I cut the cord about five or six years ago, I was paying a lot of money every month to watch programming that was mostly commercials — not worth it to me. I moved here in the middle of the season last year, I don’t get the Yanks, I can’t get the Knicks, which some would say is a mercy, but thank God I can get the Giants games online. In this day and age when you can’t trip on the sidewalk without giving some slug the opportunity to upload it to the Internet and mock you out, you’d think you’d be able to listen to a blasted ballgame on the radio in the same state as the team you want to listen to!

So you can hear the games clearly on 660 in Kingston, how does that happen?  And it’s true that no one around here cares enough, that’s why we don’t get the radio broadcast?

audioguy
    Participant

Dear Annamaria,

If you’re listening on 660 AM and the interference comes on after dark, I am almost 100% certain that it is due to the IBOC sidebands of “The Score”, WSCR in Chicago on 670. The IBOC system works by transmitting the digital information on adjacent channels. Thus 670 transmits its digital sidebands on 660 and 680. At night, these sidebands can be extremely strong and can propagate for 1,000 miles or more. I have a summer home in SW Michigan less than 100 miles from Chicago and I can’t hear WSCR (670) at night due to the IBOC interference from “The Fan” in NYC on 660. I’m pretty sure you have a similar problem.

The HD AM radio system is a failure. It has had almost zero market acceptance and is a huge annoyance to radio listeners on a band that is already challenged due to multiple sources of noise and interference. It is a mystery to me why CBS Radio clings desperately to this outmoded, unworkable system that drives so many listeners crazy. Even when I listen locally to The Score on 670, I can never completely get rid of the noise in the background.

If you can’t listen via Tune-In, one other thing you might try is to see whether you can hear the FM broadcast of The Fan on 101.9 (they simulcast). I don’t know if you live close enough to pick that up. You could certainly give it a try. If you are within about 60 miles of NYC and can put up a directional yagi antenna, you might succeed.

The other thing you could do, and I would certainly encourage this, is to write a letter to CBS in New York and Chicago and BEG them to shut off the HD AM transmissions. There is no rational reason to continue any longer with this failed system. There are zero listeners and it causes a major amount of interference to neighbor stations, including THEIR OWN STATIONS! Most of the other broadcasters that were using it have long ago abandoned it, including WOR and WBZ, which were two of the biggest proponents. Come on CBS, it’s time to call it a day for HD AM and let us listen to AM in peace.

MTN Productions
    Participant

Dear Annamaria,

If you’re listening on 660 AM and the interference comes on after dark, I am almost 100% certain that it is due to the IBOC sidebands of “The Score”, WSCR in Chicago on 670. The IBOC system works by transmitting the digital information on adjacent channels. Thus 670 transmits its digital sidebands on 660 and 680. At night, these sidebands can be extremely strong and can propagate for 1,000 miles or more. I have a summer home in SW Michigan less than 100 miles from Chicago and I can’t hear WSCR (670) at night due to the IBOC interference from “The Fan” in NYC on 660. I’m pretty sure you have a similar problem.

The HD AM radio system is a failure. It has had almost zero market acceptance and is a huge annoyance to radio listeners on a band that is already challenged due to multiple sources of noise and interference. It is a mystery to me why CBS Radio clings desperately to this outmoded, unworkable system that drives so many listeners crazy. Even when I listen locally to The Score on 670, I can never completely get rid of the noise in the background.

If you can’t listen via Tune-In, one other thing you might try is to see whether you can hear the FM broadcast of The Fan on 101.9 (they simulcast). I don’t know if you live close enough to pick that up. You could certainly give it a try. If you are within about 60 miles of NYC and can put up a directional yagi antenna, you might succeed.

The other thing you could do, and I would certainly encourage this, is to write a letter to CBS in New York and Chicago and BEG them to shut off the HD AM transmissions. There is no rational reason to continue any longer with this failed system. There are zero listeners and it causes a major amount of interference to neighbor stations, including THEIR OWN STATIONS! Most of the other broadcasters that were using it have long ago abandoned it, including WOR and WBZ, which were two of the biggest proponents. Come on CBS, it’s time to call it a day for HD AM and let us listen to AM in peace.

Well, the only place you can get Yankees baseball is GlobalTuners. I went to GlobalTuners and try out Yankees baseball on WFAN and it sounds really good. If you have not tried GlobalTuners, I will provide you a link to listen to Yankees games on the site:

http://www.globaltuners.com

It’s free, and you can sign up and check out the receivers and you’re set.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

Does Entercom still utilize AM IBOC in any way? That’s really who you should complain to.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

raccoonradio
    Participant

You’d have to pay, but satellite radio…

Annamaria
    Participant

Wow, when listening to the Yanks on the radio only meant getting annoyed by John Sterling and wanting to smack the 1-877-Kars 4 Kids kid!

audioguy, that’s fascinating, I’m being screwed up by a station in Chicago and you’re being screwed up in Michigan by the station I’m trying to get in New York?? I’ll retired to Bedlam. I’ll send a letter, FWIW:

Andre Fernandez

President and CEO

CBS Radio

1271 Avenue of the Americas

New York, NY 10020

My house is probably 61 miles from New York, but I live at the foot of a mountain, I tried a TV antenna for broadcast channels when I first moved in, and it was virtually useless unless you like Korean soap operas, and I don’t speak Korean and I try to avoid soap operas, in life and on TV, so…

musicradio77, thanks for the link, I’m going to make time this afternoon and see if I can get it to work. raccoon radio, I did say I wanted to try Sirius/XM, but I have other things to do with $150 other than get Yankee games on the radio for six months or so. If I wanted the Dodgers or White Sox, yeah, but not when it’s my local team.

Nathan, can you give me more details about Entercom, they have a drop down menu on their site with local markets listed but nothing for New York or Chicago or even Detroit, so how does that work? Thank you all so much for posting!

audioguy
    Participant

WFAN 660 and WSCR 670 licenses are held by CBS Radio East according to FCC records, not Entercomm. I suggest writing to the stations at the addresses on their websites OR you can contact them using the address information available from the FCC (let me know if you need help with that).

Incidentally WSCR had their IBOC carriers turned off last night for a game. They often turn it off when there’s a live broadcast because of the added delay affecting people listening at the ball park. I think it would be great if they just turned it off once and for all.

Lance Venta
    Keymaster

Wow, the amount of conspiracy theories in one thread…

Start with the basics. Annamaria apparently lives right at the edge of the groundwave of the WFAN signal, so of course at sunset as AM propagation changes so too will her reception.

No HD Radio interference, no conspiracy. Just how AM radio signals work.

PS. You can get streams of every MLB game on MLB.com and the MLB app for $20 per season.

Annamaria
    Participant

Lance, I think I love you, I just signed up, I had gone to the MLB site in my journeys, never saw the gameday audio offer, and they made such a point of emphasizing that you would be blacked out of games by your hometown team that I just moved on – in fact, I got so excited when I read your post, $20 for the season is even cheaper than TuneIn, that I didn’t see you gave me a hot link so I went to their site and still couldn’t find it, it was only your direct link that got me there. But I signed up and so, we’ll see what 7:30 brings! And I can get any game by any team, post season too?? NICE! Do those clowns at the NBA have a similar offer that I missed? THANK YOU!

We live in a day and age when asking a question seems to always be taken as a criticism or provocation, so please, this really is a regular question, I’m curious about things that are my business and I like to learn something new and understand things.  Last season when I got up here, I tried listening to WGNY AM because an Internet search said that was my local AM station for the Yanks, and it said that THAT signal would fade at sundown, which I thought was bizarre, they didn’t give a reason, were so matter of fact about it like it was the most natural thing in the world. The season BEFORE that, when I was up here scouting out the area and house hunting, I stayed at a B&B and the host found out for me what the station was that FOX FM station, and I tuned in on my MP3 player. I didn’t put it together at the time about “sundown,” of course, but I would sit out on the patio, have dinner and listen to the game until it got dark and the skeeters were too much, and the signal would get fuzzier and fuzzier and then by the time I was in my room, it was all but unintelligible. The only reason I knew I could get the FAN up here was because when I was unpacking, I must have hit the “on” button on my Bose and when I plugged it in, it was still programmed from the old place, and there was Suzyn Waldman — I was so surprised, but my reception was better than WGNY. But then I got TuneIn until the end of the season. This season is when I noticed the reception being OK-ish for night games, and then this, no other way to describe it, ear-splitting ball of noise would kick in, sounding like it was OVER the broadcast stream instead of a part of it, does that make any sense? And it would be around sundown. So if what audioguy says doesn’t apply, then how come I couldn’t get my local stations Yankee games at sundown, I can see not getting WFAN because of the distance, but how does that explain my experience with FOX FM and WGNY-AM?

audioguy
    Participant

Lance Venta, I am quite surprised that a gentleman who runs a website like this would deny, or be unfamiliar with the problem of adjacent channel interference from HD AM sidebands. Why do you suppose the majority of stations that initially tried it have shut it off? It was mainly for this reason, although a secondary reason was self-interference to the host station, resulting in listener complaints about the noise (as I mentioned). I could record an MP3 of the interference we receive out here from WFAN at night if you need convincing. Or you can just call the engineers at ABC radio in NYC; I’m sure they can tell you all about it.

Annamaria, the problem you’re experiencing with interference to WGNY AM 1220 at night is most likely due to a combination of things. First of all there is actually a 50kW HD AM station operating on 1210, the adjacent channel, which could cause the same problem as the interaction between WSCR and WFAN. It is WPHT in Philadelphia, and predictably, it is a CBS station. We can hear their noisy HD sidebands on 1210 and 1230 out here in Chicago at night. On the other hand, WGNY powers down from 10 kW during the day to 180 watts at night, per FCC records. They also have a pattern switch such that most of their signal goes to the west in the daytime and to the east at night, so that’s probably not helping either. Many AM stations have somewhat similar requirements imposed on them. This is one of the major problems with AM– listeners expect the signal quality to be the same whenever they want to listen, but for many (perhaps most) AM stations this is just not reality.

You should not be experiencing any differences in reception between day and night on FM unless they are due to extended propagation, which can occur due to a variety of reasons, especially in the summertime. Atmospheric conditions resulting from inversions, E-skip (which does occur as high as the FM broadcast band), and tropospheric ducting (“tropo”) can all cause FM signals to travel much farther than normal. For example, this past week my reception of a semi-local station in DeKalb, IL was interrupted by a station in Ft. Collins, CO (KCSU).

I think the Global Tuners option sounds like a good solution to your problem. Best of luck with that. If there is anything else I can help explain, I’m here to help.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php