What's Next For Fresh 102.5??

RI Community Forums Midwest Missouri What's Next For Fresh 102.5??

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MediaFan85 MediaFan85 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of joseph_gallant
    Joseph_Gallant
    Participant

With a report on the front page of this website announcing that the format of KEZK-102.5 will be changed this coming Tuesday (May 26th, after an all-1980’s weekend), there’s speculation in and out of St. Louis as to what that new format will be.

I’m going to, at the risk of getting flamed, give my guess: All-Sports.

CBS, if my memory serves me correct, has radio play-by-play rights to two of St. Louis’ three teams in the “big four” sports (St. Louis hasn’t had an NBA basketball team in over 45 years), the baseball Cardinals and hockey Blues, both of which are currently broadcast on KMOX-1120.

KMOX also has a nightly local sports talk show, “Sports Open Line”.

Moving the Cards (although their games may still have to be simulcast on KMOX for the rest of the 2015 season), the Blues, and “Sports Open Line” to 102.5 would make a nice cornerstone for an all-sports format, along with CBS Sports Radio and local drive-time sports talk shows.

“102-5 The Sports Arch”, anyone??

Profile photo of charles57
    Charles Everett
    Participant

CBS Radio can’t use The Arch name — it’s already taken by Hubbard Broadcasting for a Rock Hits station.

And there’s already an all-sports FM in STL: “101 Sports” [WXOS] carries St. Louis University basketball, the St. Louis Rams and ESPN shows.

Profile photo of Scott Fybush
    Scott Fybush
    Keymaster

True – but an existing all-sports station in the market with significant play-by-play rights didn’t stop CBS from the very successful launch of Sports Hub on WBZ-FM, did it?

That said, KEZK is one of just two FMs in the CBS stable in St. Louis, so they have a little more at stake with this flip. (And arguably less, too, since St. Louis is now one of the company’s smallest markets.)

Profile photo of kent
    kent
    Participant

I don’t see a flip to a talk-based format in the offing for 102.5. Seems to me that they’re more likely to try to take the place of 96.3 K-Hits. Granted, KLOU has tried to take over for K-Hits while keeping it’s existing audience (and has largely been successful), but that almost 9 share is way too attractive for a company that already seems to like classic hits to ignore.

Profile photo of James C. Woods
    James C. Woods
    Participant

KMOX-FM?

Profile photo of Scott Fybush
    Scott Fybush
    Keymaster

Not while CBS is reportedly trying to sell the cluster. While moving KMOX to FM will probably be necessary at some point to keep the audience from aging out, you don’t want to go from three stations’ worth of revenue down to two right now if you can avoid it.

Profile photo of Theater of My Mind
    Theater of My Mind
    Participant

KMOX is #2 in the market per the latest PPMs. No way does CBS put something on FM that’s going to dilute their AM station doing that well.

My guess is Classic Hits. KLOU is sitting at the top of the heap with an 8.9 in the latest PPMs. I’m sure CBS wouldn’t mind a piece of that pie, and they’ve proven they know how to win with that format.

Profile photo of MediaFan85
    MediaFan85
    Participant

KEZK ended up changing their name to “102.5 KEZK.” They’re the same format, but with more ’80s thrown in.

http://kezk.cbslocal.com/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php
Skip to toolbar