WHJJ now broadcasting on 104.7 fm

RadioInsight Community Forums Northeast Rhode Island WHJJ now broadcasting on 104.7 fm

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan Obral 2 days, 5 hours ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

WHJJ 920-AM as of tonight is on the translator that K-Love was using via WSNE on 104.7 fm.

This must have literally just started because I do not hear any references to it yet on the air.

nowradioguy
    Participant

WHJJ 920-AM as of tonight is on the translator that K-Love was using via WSNE on 104.7 fm. This must have literally just started because I do not hear any references to it yet on the air.

it would’ve been nice had iHeart bought 95.5 and put WHJJ there, thus reviving the short-lived WJAR 920 and WJAR-FM on 95.5. IMHO, Providence is no more favorable to K-Love than is Boston, so I hope EMF figures this out soon and leaves the area.

aaronread

So you think EMF just dropped $5.65 million on 95.5 on the “hope” that they’ll make enough money from listeners here?  Dude, I’m no fan of K-Love but that’s pretty insulting.  They have a very precise and well-thought-out formula for determining exactly how much listenership and, therefore, financial support they can expect to get from any given area.  That formula dictates how much EMF is willing to spend on acquiring a new broadcast outlet and that’s their ceiling.  So clearly, they think there’s enough listenership in RI & the Southcoast to justify $5.65 million of purchase price plus another $50-100k (thereabouts) on setup/engineering costs and whatnot.

In this case, they also have a pretty good idea of their listener base since they already had WTKL, WKIV and W284BA broadcasting in the region.  Obviously 95.5 is a vastly superior signal to those three stations but it still was a good barometer for support.

Joseph_Gallant

Under normal circumstances, according to Radio Locator.com’s signal map, the new WHJJ translator at 104.7 shouldn’t have any interference with WOCN (in Chatham on the “elbow” of Cape Cod) on the same frequency.

But sometimes, especially on warm days and especially in Summer, FM signals from Cape Cod occasionally reach further west (towards Providence) and northwest (towards Boston) than their “typical” signals would.

It will be interesting to find out if some listeners in western Bristol County, Massachusetts who normally get the WHJJ translator will, come next Spring and Summer, receive interference from WOCN.

Jeff Lehmann
    Participant

Under normal circumstances, according to Radio Locator.com’s signal map, the new WHJJ translator at 104.7 shouldn’t have any interference with WOCN (in Chatham on the “elbow” of Cape Cod) on the same frequency. But sometimes, especially on warm days and especially in Summer, FM signals from Cape Cod occasionally reach further west (towards Providence) and northwest (towards Boston) than their “typical” signals would. It will be interesting to find out if some listeners in western Bristol County, Massachusetts who normally get the WHJJ translator will, come next Spring and Summer, receive interference from WOCN.

This translator is not new to the air. It has been around for several years translating 91.1 WTKL. Why would it be any different next spring/summer than it has been for the last few years?

Joseph_Gallant

Jeff:

I had thought that maybe the translator’s power had been boosted.

Thanks for the information and for the correction! It’s greatly appreciated.

aaronread

That does beg the question: can the 104.7 translator be “improved” at all?  Moved more into Providence?

I vaguely assume it can’t, else K-Love would’ve already done so.  Probably WXLO 104.5 precludes moving any further northward.  Although considering there’s a “FM Translators for AM’s” coming up in six weeks, perhaps “improvement” isn’t going north.  Get something new on the air in Providence, and move the Warwick translator further south to cover South County and/or Aquidneck Island?  I suppose it’s possible, but 104.7 is already a pretty good signal so I’m not sure it’d be worth it.  I’d have to know more about what neighborhoods (and commuting paths) WHJJ’s listenership occupies.

DavidZ
    Participant

WHJJ is now mentioning quite frequently the 104.7 frequency along with 920. And the website is now newsradiori.

https://newsradiori.iheart.com/

Does that officially put to rest the alternative rumor to 104.7 in the other thread?

WHJJ is now mentioning quite frequently the 104.7 frequency along with 920. And the website is now newsradiori. https://newsradiori.iheart.com/ Does that officially put to rest the alternative rumor to 104.7 in the other thread?

Heres the trick… 104.7 is officially the translator for WSNE 93.3. Klove broadcasted on 93.3 hd 3 to hop to 104.7.
    Fcc database has WHJJ applying for a translator on 95.9 I think it is.

alg2468
    Participant

WHJJ’s 104.7 translator in Warwick has lately been carrying programming different from WHJJ’s main programming, such as broadcasting sports games while WHJJ carries its talk shows.

Jeff Lehmann
    Participant

WHJJ’s 104.7 translator in Warwick has lately been carrying programming different from WHJJ’s main programming, such as broadcasting sports games while WHJJ carries its talk shows.

They’re able to do this because the main signal for the 104.7 translator is technically 93.3 WSNE-HD2. So as long as what was on 104.7 was also on 93.3 HD2, they’re all set. iHeart has a construction permit for 97.7 W249Dz. Assuming this translator makes it to the air, it will be tied down to airing the same programming as 920.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

That’s going to be interesting when the ratings for both are split up (into WHJJ and WSNE-HD2) because Nielsen’s standards for those are very strict.

And when the new translator for WHJJ comes online, it has to be a straight-up simulcast, no deviations.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php