WHK FM translator

RadioInsight Community Forums Midwest Cleveland WHK FM translator

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  mightyvoice 2 days, 18 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

John Basalla
    Participant

I notice that WHK, AM1420 now has an FM translator.  On their Top-of-the-hour Legal ID they mention their AM station followed by their translator call sign, which I will never remember unless I write it down.  To date, they haven’t mentioned the frequency it was on, so I scanned around until I finally heard it at 102.5FM (I think).  The sound quality, at least on the nationally fed programs, isn’t as good and full-bodied as most other FM stations, and the audio level is lower.  The feed is behind that which is heard on AM1420.  I’ll be keeping my car radio station selector button set on AM1420 as the AM has the stronger, better receivable, signal when driving around in the car.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

It’s W273DG and is a whopping five watts from atop the Chase Building at W. 9th.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

vjm1
    Participant

It’s W273DG and is a whopping five watts from atop the Chase Building at W. 9th.

WTAM’s famous line is that it’s heard in 38 states and half of Canada

When he was on WHK, Les Levine always quipped that WHK was heard on 38 streets and half of Canton

So I guess W273DG is heard on 38 sidewalks and half of Chester

radioperson
    Participant

WTAM’s famous line is that it’s heard in 38 states and half of Canada When he was on WHK, Les Levine always quipped that WHK was heard on 38 streets and half of Canton So I guess W273DG is heard on 38 sidewalks and half of Chester

I think the purpose is to just get WHK coverage into downtown office buildings.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

WTAM’s famous line is that it’s heard in 38 states and half of Canada When he was on WHK, Les Levine always quipped that WHK was heard on 38 streets and half of Canton So I guess W273DG is heard on 38 sidewalks and half of Chester

They want to have an FM presence, no matter what. To be blunt, conservative talk radio is a very poor draw with younger demos, let alone Salem’s ideology-above-anything-else philosophy. (Why you’d listen at your cubicle to Sebastian Gorka is… well, I could think of much better options to spend one’s time.)

I honestly don’t think anyone is going to turn in to 102.5 downtown unless you seek it out while communting into downtown.

But for all that, it’s better than WHKW’s translator at 96.9, which is on the WKRK/WFHM mast and is even more of a joke than WHK’s translator is.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

mightyvoice
    Participant
    Maybe…..but I’ve worked in an office building for more than 5 years.  I can’t recall having seen anyone listening to an FM radio.  I’ve actually spotted a few Sirius/XM radio antennas up on top of cubicles, but otherwise the people I see with earbuds in are streaming audio off their phone or computer (myself included).
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php