WINT 101.5 FM now liscenced

RI Community Forums Midwest Cleveland WINT 101.5 FM now liscenced

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MediaFan85 MediaFan85 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Timothy Blanks
    Timothy Blanks
    Participant

FCC liscenced the FM 101.5 FM on December 22, about a week ago now. Coverage map shows it covers basically Lake County. Fringe coverage could extend west to the Cleveland Heights area. 70 Watts.

Profile photo of MediaFan85
    MediaFan85
    Participant

Could it extend to 200 or 250 watts?  Would be nice to hear 101.5 better in Geauga and eastern Cuyahoga county.

Timothy Blanks
    Participant

I’m not sure if they could have more wattage, but it would be nice to hear this station in the downtown Cleveland area.

Profile photo of Crazy Monkey
    Crazy Monkey
    Participant

WINT’s translator on 101.5 has been on the air for a while now. I remember driving through that area back in July and hearing them. In the summer, they have to deal with lake-effect tropo. 101.5 WRVF Toledo really messes with their signal on even a normal day because it’s all water-path. When the lake-effect tropo fires up, WRVF travels all the way across Lake Erie with a strong signal to Buffalo.

MediaFan85
    Participant

WINT mentioned in this link it’s expanding its AM signal to serve the entire Cleveland area:

https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?from=appshareios&jk=243c804483911442

Timothy Blanks
    Participant

West to Lorain County should definitely cover Cleveland well on 1330. What does this mean for 1350, if anything?

Profile photo of michael p
    michael p
    Participant

I see there is another 101.5 licensed to Beachwood. How could another translator be on the same frequency so close together?

Profile photo of skiwest
    skiwest
    Participant

I wish they would have stayed with the WELW call letters.  I started listening to the station in the late 60’s.  I would tune in to Ted Alexander as soon as I got home from school and listened until they signed off at sundown.  Soon thereafter,  they acquired 107.9 on the FM dial and went 24/7 and it became my favorite station… until they switched to country couple years later.

Profile photo of Jim Trefney
    Jim Trefney
    Participant

I agree WELW 1330/107.9 was a great station!

Profile photo of thenetwork
    thenetwork
    Participant

I have to give them credit in their final years as a music (oldies) station.  They had some well-known air talent and were going deeper into the libraries than what Majic105 was doing (and their library was shrinking).

They also tried a simulcast “network” with WDLW for a brief time (IIRC it was the “Buckeye Oldies Network”) towards the end as well but there were problems, including synching up commercial break lengths which resulted in abbreviated instrumentals for one station or the other.  They also reran weekday music shows on the weekend as well to save some money but at least it kept the personality’s sound on the weekends.

They went all out to sound big, and probably did more as a local suburban station then than what most larger Cleveland stations will even bother to do today.

Profile photo of John Basalla
    John Basalla
    Participant

Was WELW-FM the station that, when they switched format in the very early 1970s, they played “When You’re Hot, You’re Hot” by Jerry Reed for a full week, for at least several days?  They lyrics worked for the change:  “When You’re Hot, You’re Hot, when your not, your not”, and it was a Country and Rock cross-over tune.  I never thought much of this kind of stunt as it’s a sure audience killer for its duration.

Profile photo of skiwest
    skiwest
    Participant

Yes, John, that it correct.   I think they played it for the entire weekend between the format switch.  The poor DJs were probably going crazy having to hear it over and over again.

Profile photo of michael p
    michael p
    Participant

I remember another “stunting” on 107.9, “It’s The End of the World as we Know It” was looped over the weekend before they became “The End” modern music format (forerunner to the Alternative format back).

Profile photo of John Basalla
    John Basalla
    Participant

And WENZ, 107.9 FM, ended its days as an Alternative format outlet by doing the same thing … playing “It’s The End of The World As We Know It” by REM for at least one full day before the switch to “Hip Hop and R&B”.

MediaFan85
    Participant

And WENZ, 107.9 FM, ended its days as an Alternative format outlet by doing the same thing … playing “It’s The End of The World As We Know It” by REM for at least one full day before the switch to “Hip Hop and R&B”.

Which is what they’re still airing to this day.  Glad WENZ has found a successful format.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php
Skip to toolbar