WJIB on 101.3 within 10 months

RadioInsight Community Forums Northeast Boston WJIB on 101.3 within 10 months

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 21 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  mgpt6 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

raccoonradio
    Participant

Bob Bittner said on facebook he has a CP
    to simulcast WJIB 740 on 101.3 with 250
    watts.On air within 10 months from now.

Joseph_Gallant
    Participant

How high will the transmitting antenna be, and will it be located atop the current WJIB-740 tower of somewhere else?

raccoonradio
    Participant

His actual post,from Friends And
    Lovers of WJIB facebook:

>>Today, the FCC granted a “Construction Permit” license for WJIB to build an FM station to broadcast simultaneously with WJIB. The FM station will be 250 watts and be located at 101.3 on the FM dial. It, too, will come from the Cambridge WJIB tower. It should be on within the next 10 months.

When asked how high up he said
    pretty far up on the ‘JIB tower.

raccoonradio
    Participant

Bob Bittner drew a map and put it on facebook showing the approx range of the new 101.3. Not everyone who thinks they’ll get it necessarily will.

WJIB map

Note that:

–when they’re on FM you’ll be able to hear it on your smartphone… well…kinda. SOME smartphones have an FM chip. You can use a feature called NextRadio (free app) and IF your phone has the chip, you can hear local FM IF you’re in the listening area. My old LG Volt had it. My new Samsung Galaxy Siii does not. (The app may download but you need the chip) So in the case, IF you’re in the area Bob drew above, then maybe…

What about streaming, Bob’s listeners ask? Hey, there’s a page for WJIB 740 on TuneIn! Don’t get too excited. There may be a page but if there’s no streaming, you’re out of luck. The WJIB page says No Streams Available.

My own station,WMWM 91.7 Salem, used to be on TuneIn but now is on StreamLicensing. If I wanted to hear WMWM in, say,downtown Salem and I didn’t want to use data, then IF my phone has both NextRadio and the FM chip then yes, I could just tune it to 91.7 and hear it on  my phone.

Supposedly when WFNX had a simulcast on 101.3 it did very well, despite being only 10 watts. And hey, won’t the new station be 250 watts? But tower makes a big difference. WFNX’s old translator was on top of the Hancock Tower, I think. The new station will be on the JIB tower in

Cambridge. Don’t expect miracles.

aaronread
    Participant

Last I heard, which was several years ago so don’t necessarily etch this in stone, Bob doesn’t simulcast on the web because the PRO & SoundExchange fees are pretty steep for commercial radio stations; they’re calculated more for larger commercial clusters since those groups are the ones NAB really represents, and NAB was the organization representing commercial radio outlets during the negotiations with the US Copyright Office.

Anyways, it’d raise his expenses a lot more than it would increase any revenues…especially considering his target demographic.  Hence, no streaming.

Theoretically Bob could convert his radio stations to non-commercial and reincorporate as a non-profit, which would reduce many of his expenses and make it a lot easier for him to run his fundraisers.  But it would also destroy his ability to lease airtime to paying customers (non-comm’s legally cannot do that beyond recouping operating costs) and Bob has, ehem, “strong feelings” about banks and credit cards 🙂 so he’s not really looking to super-optimize the fund drives anyways.

OldNewsGuy
    Participant

Bob Bittner said on facebook he has a CP
    to simulcast WJIB 740 on 101.3 with 250
    watts.On air within 10 months from now.

10 Months is up! Where is it? 😉

Neg Ative
    Participant

Bob Bittner said on facebook he has a CP to simulcast WJIB 740 on 101.3 with 250 watts.On air within 10 months from now.

10 Months is up! Where is it? ?

Bob is a member of my FB radio group ( 6300+ members and growing!) and last time I asked, he said he could do nothing until a co-channel translator was up and running.
    This was a couple of months ago.

Neg Ative
    Participant

OK the Milford translator came on in January ( https://radio-locator.com/info/W267CD-FX )  and I have sent a message to Bob asking for an update.  As soon as I know anything… oops as soon as I hear something because I know nothing about radio, I’ll post it up

Bob Bittner
    Participant

Yes, I said WJIB’s translator SHOULD be on in 10 months.  But there are delays, and some strategic planning.  This coming August 4th will be the 25th anniversary of WJIB being on 740.  Certainly it would be good for W267CE to be on the air by then, wouldn’t it?  🙂

Joseph_Gallant
    Participant

Bob Bittner wrote:

This coming August 4th will be the 25th anniversary of WJIB being on 740. Certainly it would be good for W267CE to be on the air by then, wouldn’t it?

Sure would!

Hopefully, that will be the date.

Hopefully optimistic 😉

mgpt6
    Participant

Hope 8/4/17 will be the day. Will 101.3 be in stereo?

Channel99
    Participant

Hope 8/4/17 will be the day. Will 101.3 be in stereo?

Most likely. The studio equipment was able to handle AM stereo, until Bob B ended the stereo broadcasting.

raccoonradio
    Participant

Debuted today.

Reception on Haverhill St Reading then 128 from Reading to Beverly–so so with cut ins from no doubt pirate Big City though possibly a 101.3 from Maine? display read WJIB Boston’s memories station.At times surprisingly strong but even without the pirate, this is a fringe area.

raccoonradio
    Participant

Using an Insignia HD tabletop/portable here in Beverly got the 101.3 half decently pointing the antenna in certain directions. But now another station is cutting in, and it’s legal–the WMRC Milford FM translator…

Not to condone piracy but Big City would be wise to pick another spot on the dial instead (not that they should broadcast illegally of course…) because the new translator affects their signal too.

carmen r
    Participant

there’s quite a bit of nuisance hash on Big City, a few miles south of their tx site, such that you have to rotate the antenna now for full quieting. this is a bit east of Mattapan Square, so chances are their “Target market” , if there is one, should be having similar issues unless they live in the immediate vicinity. as for frequencies, 96.5 and 102.1 are out for the newish translators out of Granite Links and Needham IIRC, and it would be wise to avoid 99.7 and 106.1 due to prior complaints an enforcement actions. which means there’s not really much place for them to go but OFF AIR. as for the recent warning letter addressed to “Talya”, she did her farewell show on 101.3 the other day and has secured a slot on WBCA-LP. this really shouldnt complicate or slow down any seizure process as it’s far from the first warning letter, and there’s even a $10K fine which i have no idea if it’s been paid, per EB-07-BS-095 NAL 200832260003 FRN 0017641580

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php