WKNR Off the air?

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Cleveland

• Participant

Between 8:30 and 9:00pm Sunday night, I did not hear sports talk or a game when I dialed up AM850.  I just heard rather quiet clashes of a couple of stations, the most notable being a station playing oldies music.  I turned on again at about 12:30am, and it’s, as Bob Seger would sing… “Still The Same”.  The song I could name I heard was “Red Roses For A Blue Lady”.  Whose version, I don’t know.  Who might this other station be?

Participant

Surprised you didn’t hear KOA out of Denver, 50,000 watt monster. Or WEEI out of Boston, another 50,000 watt monster although they have a heck of a nightime null to the west.  Possibly WGVS out of Muskegon, Mi. https://www.wgvu.org/radio/realoldies1480/. Could have been WKGE out of Johnstown, PA. Could have been WPTK out of Raleigh, NC. Could have been WYLF out of Penn Yan, NY.

Participant

My best guess is WKNR 850 was off the air early Monday morning doing maintenance.

Participant

I remember when most stations signed-off on Sunday night.  I wonder if any still do that?

Participant

Quote:  “My best guess is WKNR 850 was off the air early Monday morning doing maintenance.”

They were clearly off the air between 8:30pm and 9:00pm when I first tuned into AM850 on my car radio.  That would not be a normal time for maintenance.  They were back on by the time I turned them on again at 7:15am this Monday morning.

Participant

WKNR has done overnight transmitter maintenance before, they simply have no backup site to run if the main site is offline. I want to say that the Carl Smith tower site (WTAM) has a backup?

In any event, WKNR’s new sister station in Chicago (WMVP/1000) comes in loud and clear in Cleveland at night.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Participant

WKNR uses the old 850 WJW site in Seven Hills….though they had to add a tower or so to the DA when they upgraded the day pattern from 10kw to 50kw years ago. I know GKB runs a very, very lean operation. They in the past have not employed a fulltime engineer. Maybe that’s changed, but doubtful. How do I know that? A good radio engineer friend a mine was a contract engineer for them and it always was last minute late night “we’re off the air get here NOW!!!” type emergencies. I’m willing to bet MANY radio stations are this way today.

Participant

WKNR uses the old 850 WJW site in Seven Hills….though they had to add a tower or so to the DA when they upgraded the day pattern from 10kw to 50kw years ago. I know GKB runs a very, very lean operation. They in the past have not employed a fulltime engineer. Maybe that’s changed, but doubtful. How do I know that? A good radio engineer friend a mine was a contract engineer for them and it always was last minute late night “we’re off the air get here NOW!!!” type emergencies. I’m willing to bet MANY radio stations are this way today.

Where is the old WJW site in Seven Hills?  I used to live in Seven Hills and still live nearby. There are only two transmitter sits in Seven Hills I am aware of: The WHK/WMMS site near the Coptic Church and the WDOK/WIXY 1260 site on Rockhaven that was demolished in the 90’s.   AFAIK WJW 850 was always in “downtown” North Royalton.

Participant

My mistake: North Royalton is where the 850 site is.

On Ridge Rd. (Rt. 3), just north of Rt. 82. Been there for many decades.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php