WKXP On 93.9 ??/ 88.1 WLHV Silent

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Hudson Valley / Albany

• Participant

I was scanning the FM dial on my car radio during a trip from Hyde Park to Catskill NY.
    The radio stopped on 93.9 Crystal clear was a strong signal of the Wolf, 94.3 WKXP Kingston/97.3, Wurtsboro. To be clear this was NOT bleed over. 94.1 was in parts a relay of WALL, or nothing. I checked with another radio with the same result.
    The 93.9 signal began to clash with WNYC, NYC in southern Hyde Park /Poughkeepsie .
    Poughkeepsie has a licensed translator on 93.9 W230CM owned by Charles Williamson . I have never heard anything on it.
    In any event this is not a translator either . The signal covers way to much territory and is too strong. It pretty much duplicates 94.3 WKXP range. It is about as strong in northern Hyde Park as it is in Catskill, which is as far as I traveled.
    Since there is nothing else licensed around here on 93.9 technically it is a pirate. There is no ID on this frequency. Why would someone do this ? The broadcast is not at all the poor quality I would expect from an illegal operation, it is totally professional grade.
    This is weird. Any thoughts on what is going on.
    ————————————————————————————–
    For at least the past week 88.1 WLHV Annandale-on the Hudson, Robin Hood Radio’s western Dutchess County station, has been off the air. They typically have a poor signal in their City of License , their “tower”is over near Lake Taconic and is partially blocked by the terrain . But now there is nothing .

Participant

Lately, in Poughkeepsie on 93.9, I’m getting a broadcast of WALL, delayed by about 30 seconds from the one on 94.1. The signal is a lot better than 94.1, and the WALL that used to be on 106.3 appears to be off. Is this a new translator? I also noticed Spanish intermittently on 94.1, which might be a pirate.

Participant

93.9 is not new licence. Bud Williamson has held but not used the license for some time .

It seems like he is shifting WALL around his  Poughkeepsie translators to keep the authorization alive

It was on 97.3 the best translator in the Poughkeepsie market. 106.3’s signal was week , with a limited service area.  I hope 93.9 is an improvement .

The issue is do listeners know where to tune for  WALL.

Participant

93.9 is not new licence. Bud Williamson has held but not used the license for some time .

It seems like he is shifting WALL around his  Poughkeepsie translators to keep the authorization alive

It was on 97.3 the best translator in the Poughkeepsie market. 106.3’s signal was week , with a limited service area.  I hope 93.9 is an improvement .

The issue is do listeners know where to tune for  WALL.

Participant

W230CM- translator 93.9 licensed to Poughkeepsie but the transmitter is closer to Kingston. Hyde Park is at the edge of its 60dBu service area , and the COL , Poughkeepsie is beyond it.

This matches with what I found. In Hyde Park it is a bit spotty, clear one minute , choppy a short distance away. In Poughkeepsie it clashes with , and is overtaken by co-channel WNYC in NYC. WNYC has an excellent signal.

Since the TX is just south of Kingston,I would think Bud Williamson would  request a change of the COL ( if that is permissible for a translator ), because it does provide a excellent signal there and points north that did not receive WALL before.  And as of right now WALL is still on 106.1 , Poughkeepsie giving him two frequencies licensed to Poughkeepsie relaying WALL. Is that Legal?

For the record according to the FCC filing  W230CM is relaying WFGB, Kingston.

So in Poughkeepsie we still have to switch between a limited service area of 106.1, Poughkeepsie, and 94.1 in distant Chester.

He has until February to put something on 97.3, the now silent, and previous WALL relay, that had the best sound and signal from a translator in the area.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php