Wolf Family sells WBNS Radio/TV

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Columbus

• Participant

Participant

Interesting- I don’t believe TEGNA own any Radio properties in their other markets? I know their big on TV.   Given WBNS-FM’s ties with tOSU I doubt we’ll see any changes to the AM/FM.

Will be interesting to see what kind of changes happen.

Participant

Interesting- I don’t believe TEGNA own any Radio properties in their other markets? I know their big on TV. Given WBNS-FM’s ties with tOSU I doubt we’ll see any changes to the AM/FM. Will be interesting to see what kind of changes happen.

The company’s only current radio properties are in San Diego–which, like here, came from a recent purchase of a heritage radio/TV group (specifically, the KFMB stations).

TEGNA Acquires Columbus Pair As Part Of Big TV Deal

Participant

TEGNA closed on the WBNS Radio/TV deal this morning so lets see if any changes are in store for the stations.

https://www.dispatch.com/business/20190812/deal-to-sell-wbns-tv-radio-stations-closes-new-owner-tegna-says

Participant

It will be interesting to see what TEGNA does they are known for being local but running thin staff, automated studios, hub casting (like Nexstar does where you run TV stations from other markets) etc..  I would guess as long as they can hold the rights to tOSU football and basketball that WBNS AM/FM will not see any changes.  If some reason iHeart was able to snag the IMG contract for Ohio State sports away from WBNS I could see the FM changing formats.  However with TEGNA not really being in the radio business I could see them possibly selling the stations long term.

Participant

It will be interesting to see what TEGNA does they are known for being local but running thin staff, automated studios, hub casting (like Nexstar does where you run TV stations from other markets) etc.. I would guess as long as they can hold the rights to tOSU football and basketball that WBNS AM/FM will not see any changes. If some reason iHeart was able to snag the IMG contract for Ohio State sports away from WBNS I could see the FM changing formats. However with TEGNA not really being in the radio business I could see them possibly selling the stations long term.

My guess is it may be closer to short-term than long-term. I don’t know about Saga’s current financials, but I’m sure they’d love to add a third full-power signal to their Columbus Radio Group to better compete against iHeart. Could be continuing sports (especially if WBNS keeps the Buckeye contracts), moving Mix or Rewind to the better signal, going head-to-head with one of the iHeart formats, or ???

Participant

The chance that Tegna sells off 97.1/1460 is at best next to none. It’s a tagalong like KFMB AM/FM were when Tegna got KFMB-TV, plus it has the most valuable property in all of Columbus radio, bar none. Why give up a solid revenue stream like that?

Moreover, Tegna is now the co-owner of the Ohio State Buckeyes network along with IMG. When the arrangement with tOSU, IMG and RadiOhio/Dispatch was drawn up, it was done for the very long term. There is no chance that iHeart or anyone else will be able to overcome that unless they park a Brinks truck outside of Tegna HQ.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Participant

There’s another factor now–one that would probably make a radio spin-off even less likely:  Apollo Global Management (which is in the process of absorbing Cox Media, and is trying to keep the current radio/TV combos together) is apparently also pursuing Tegna…

Apollo Kicking Tegna’s Tires?

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/188833/apollo-global-management-approached-tegna-about-sa

Participant

There’s another factor now–one that would probably make a radio spin-off even less likely: Apollo Global Management (which is in the process of absorbing Cox Media, and is trying to keep the current radio/TV combos together) is apparently also pursuing Tegna…

Apollo Kicking Tegna’s Tires?

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/188833/apollo-global-management-approached-tegna-about-sa

Even if Tegna relented to Apollo, half of the combined company would need to be spun off, both are near the 39% cap that this Congress will not let Pai increase. It’s even less likely than Tegna selling off 1460/97.1.

Participant

xmusicmatt wrote:
    It will be interesting to see what TEGNA does they are known for being local but running thin staff, automated studios, hub casting (like Nexstar does where you run TV stations from other markets) etc.

Centralcasting is now common in local TV — Fox runs all of its O&Os’ master controls from one centralcast hub.

That said, Tegna does have a good reputation in its local markets and should be a good steward for 10TV. Especially in a city where the nefarious Sinclair does business.

Participant

Jerry Revish has retired after 45 years with both WBNS radio and TV. Maybe TEGNA made him an offer he couldn’t refuse or maybe just a coincidence? More here:

https://www.10tv.com/article/wbns-10tv-news-anchor-jerry-revish-retire-november-2019-aug

Participant

I mentioned how I thought TEGNA might divest WBNS AM/FM at some point long term.. Someone else mentioned it might be shorter than that… Well they are divesting their other radio properties out west…

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2019/oct/21/ticker-farewell-kfmb-radio/#

If they do divest WBNS AM/FM it would be good if SAGA could pick them up.

Participant

Wow, it’s really something seeing a general publication going into much more detail about a station sale than even a radio trade pub would.

And yep, this development only strengthens my feeling that Tegna will look to offload the WBNS stations, and do it sooner rather than later — despite the Buckeye Network goldmine.  It just doesn’t compute that a publishing company of that depth would want to keep just one AM-FM combo — and in a smaller market than San Diego.

Participant

iHeart is the only possible buyer for WBNS AM/FM. And they are at the cap, if not over it thanks to 106.7 and 93.3. Plus the station is a revenue goldmine, and that will result in the stations fetching a premium price anyway (which is why NABCO can’t afford it, so forget about them).

How can you sell a station when the only buyer can’t buy it? Doesn’t compute. In the end, WBNS AM/FM will remain with Tegna because there’s nowhere else to go.

Participant

Is there are a reason you omitting Saga as a possible buyer?  Or perhaps a new entrant like Entercom, maybe even starting a new cluster if NABCO is finally ready to entertain a sale?  And back to iHeart, would selling 106.7 allow them to buy WBNS-FM-AM?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php