WOWO/Komet Hockey's Bob Chase passes away at 90.

RadioInsight Community Forums Midwest Indiana WOWO/Komet Hockey's Bob Chase passes away at 90.

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  schmave 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

borderblaster
    Participant

Joseph_Gallant
    Participant

At one time, WOWO-1090 had a huge 50,000-watt signal as strong as the 50,000-watt big-city “flamethrowers” that at night could be heard across much of the country (but some years back, WOWO was purchased by the owners of WLIB New York on the same frequency; the new owners reduced WOWO’s signal to allow WLIB to broadcast at night).

Much like Foster Hewitt’s onetime broadcasts of the Toronto Maple Leafs’ Saturday-night games on CBC Radio’s powerful 50-kilowatt outlets gave that team millions of fans across Canada and much of the United States, so Chase’s broadcasts of the Fort Wayne Komets over the then-50,000-watt WOWO had a huge following across much of the country.

schmave
    Participant

Hate seeing this.
    I’m not yet 40 but I remember hearing Bob Chase’s morning sports reports on WOWO in addition to the Komets hockey games. My mother grew up in western Ohio, about 60 miles from Fort Wayne, and WOWO was *the* station in her area back in the 1960s. The Komets and Bob Chase were her introduction to hockey, and I listened to some games in the late 80s and early 90s visiting my grandparents out in the area.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php