WPOP to talk

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.
  • Posted In: Connecticut

• Participant

WPOP Hartford Makes Long Awaited Talk Flip

Maybe as with their 1430 in Boston they could still air some Fox Sports though…

WPOP was a news-talk station until it switched to sports in 1997. During its time as a talker, WPOP aired local hosts Jeff Katz, Tom Scott and Judy Jarvis, and ran syndicated Rush Limbaugh and Tom Leykis.

A few archived Hartford Courant stories…

Limbaugh switches from WPOP to WTIC, Hartford Courant, 7/11/92
    http://articles.courant.com/1992-07-11/news/0000115195_1_rush-limbaugh-stations-comments

Jeff Katz exits WPOP
    Hartford Courant, 4/6/93
    http://articles.courant.com/1993-04-06/news/0000103701_1_radio-host-radio-station-wpop

WPOP Shifts to All Sports, Hartford Courant, 1/11/97
    http://articles.courant.com/1997-01-11/sports/9701110329_1_espn-radio-fabulous-sports-babe-all-sports-station

It’s my guess that Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and “Coast To Coast AM” will all be leaving WTIC-1080 as soon as iHeart can make it happen.

I would think that CBS’s own “Overnight America” will replace the latter at ‘TIC; I could see the station’s daytime local talk schedule be adjusted (read: lengthen current shows) to replace Rush; and maybe there’s some late-evening syndicated show out there to replace the delayed-broadcast of Hannity.

Participant

Over a month ago; still no sign of it i.e. talk on 1410…?

>>It’s my guess that Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and “Coast To Coast AM” will all be leaving WTIC-1080 as soon as iHeart can make it happen.

Racoonradio notes:

Over a month ago; still no sign of it i.e. talk on 1410…?

Might iHeart have registered a domain for a talk format on WPOP-1410 they never intended to launch in order to get us messageboard types speculating on what might happen??

Participant

Might iHeart have registered a domain for a talk format on WPOP-1410 they never intended to launch in order to get us messageboard types speculating on what might happen??

**head on desk**

Oh good grief.

iHeart likely got the domain name registered for a multitude of reasons. Fooling online speculators on radio-focused chat boards is not one of those reasons.

Usually there are serious inclinations towards domain name registrations. There might be for WPOP, but it may be for a flip that won’t take place for awhile. It may not even happen. Or it may happen in a week. Who really knows right now?

I’m not exactly sure that iHeart did this in lieu of rumors surrounding an Entercom/CBS Hartford swap that, obviously, is no longer in the cards. It would seem to make sense, but Lance drew that conclusion out of educated guesses on his part.

Now, my guess: CBS’s contract with Rush for WTIC really is the deciding factor. It has to be. After WIBC and WRKO evicted his show, that sent iHeart scurrying for replacement affiliates. So they registered that domain for WPOP as an insurance policy in case the Traveler’s Insurance station (sorry!) does decide to drop Rush.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

css.php