WQTT 1270 & 96.7 Flip to Classic Rock

RadioInsight Community Forums Midwest Columbus WQTT 1270 & 96.7 Flip to Classic Rock

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 25 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  schmave 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

chad43358
    Participant

Just as the title says. They ditched the oldies for Classic Rock.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

I said it in the Bob&Tom thread, it’s probably in their best interests to consolidate 95X and WQTT, the 96.7 translator of WQTT can fill in coverage for 95X in Marysville, and that’s what matters.

I just can’t see anyone wanting to listen to a classic rock jukebox on the AM dial in any event. That’s like going to a horse-and-buggy carriage shop to buy a set of sparkplugs.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

schmave
    Participant

Said the same thing in that thread as well, I will miss their oldies programming. Sure there were some songs I didn’t enjoy and I liked the vast majority of their playlist.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they do simulcast at some point. WQTT already runs 95X on their web stream during Reds, OSU and Jackets games plus the OSU coaches’ shows.

John Basalla
    Participant

To Nathan’s point:  It was a disaster for AM radio that it was unable to finish the job of updating itself to AM Stereo.  Yet, the desire of so many people and companies wanting to own over-the-air radio stations is so strong that AM radio, even with its audio deficiencies, keeps chugging along, helped immensely  by listeners even though we’ve heard for decades now that AM radio is, in many arena’s “dead”.

Nathan Obral
    Participant

AM radio may not be “dead,” but it is from being anywhere near healthy. Most AM radios today are of horrible fidelity and worse quality, I mean, it works for spoken word formats, but not with any music formats.

The sabotage of AM Stereo all but sounded the death knell for the band. A format like classic rock needs high fidelity, and if I have a choice between the music on a small AM signal like 1270 or a full-power FM like Q96fm, I’ll go with the FM almost every time.

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

bigwilliamstyle
    Participant

It’s funny you mention the decline of quality in AM radio.  I remember when I was 12 or 13, this was around 1994, and I would listen to 1580 WVKO on my home stereo because 106.3 came in terribly.  I swear back then it sounded decent.  FM still sounded better, but it was still very much listenable.  I was up around 161 listening to a song on 95.1, and was getting interference from another station so I figured I’d switch it to 920.  To make a long story short it sounded awful.  Listening to music on AM now makes about as much sense as listening to a mix tape that was recorded by holding a microphone up to a speaker lol

chad43358
    Participant

This makes no sense. Their top of the hour ID identifies them as W254CC which a brief search through the FCC website returned a station out of Owensboro Kentucky using those calls.

Not only are they not broadcasting from the location that they have submitted to the FCC but now they are using incorrect call letters?

schmave
    Participant

They’ve been identifying with that for quite some time. I never even thought to check the FCC database to see if it was correct … wow. And when you click on “W283AJ” on the Radio Locator page … it directs to a station in Connersville, Indiana, roughly 100 miles to the west, with CP information for Marysville underneath.

So they’re still broadcasting the FM from the towers on 36? They love to walk the line don’t they??

chad43358
    Participant

They absolutely are. I just drove by the AM site and 96.3 got wiped out for a quarter mile or so.

Certainly whoever is running the show can’t be that ignorant, right?

schmave
    Participant

I’ve wondered why they just didn’t transmit the FM signal from the AM farm from the very beginning. Seems like that whole situation is completely unnecessary.

cpsteinmetz
    Participant

They absolutely are. I just drove by the AM site and 96.3 got wiped out for a quarter mile or so. Certainly whoever is running the show can’t be that ignorant, right?

Which AM site are you referring to? For a while in 2017, W283AJ was broadcasting from the WDLR-AM site but was later moved to the WQTT-AM site. The construction permit is actually for a tower about 3-4 miles east of the WQTT-AM site but as far as I know, they’ve never operated from there.
    CP holders are allowed to operate for a short time after construction for “equipment testing”purposes only and I’m pretty sure that 2+ years is well past that time-frame. That, combined with transmitting from the wrong location, would be enough to loose a CP or licence back in the “old days”. These days the FCC, if it was open, is only concerned with catching pirates.

schmave
    Participant

I presume he’s talking about the WQTT-AM site just east of Marysville on 36. Again, I don’t understand why they didn’t transmit 96.7 from there in the first place.

chad43358
    Participant

That is correct. The application to the FCC showed the transmitter being placed on a cell phone tower between Marysville and Delaware. There have been no additions to the cell tower; However, two FM transmitting antennas were added to one of the AM towers at WQTT’s site on the East side of Marysville.

One reason I could think of as to why maybe the FCC would not allow them to broadcast from their AM tower site is due to protection of WCSM in Celina, Ohio. I used to receive their signal in far Western Union county before WQTT flipped from 98.7 to 96.7. Maybe moving 5-6 miles East would satisfy the protection requirements?

xmusicmatt
    Participant

I am surprised they don’t merge 95.1 WVXG with 1270/96.7 my only thinking is they still want to pretend they have a Marysville Ohio station and keeping them separate allows for that (even though all their stations 92.9/1550, 98.5 LPFM, 1270/96.7, 95.1 run from the studios out of Delaware off 36/37). 95.1 targets Marion mostly given it’s tower site north of Mt. Gilead.

schmave
    Participant

That is correct. The application to the FCC showed the transmitter being placed on a cell phone tower between Marysville and Delaware. There have been no additions to the cell tower; However, two FM transmitting antennas were added to one of the AM towers at WQTT’s site on the East side of Marysville. One reason I could think of as to why maybe the FCC would not allow them to broadcast from their AM tower site is due to protection of WCSM in Celina, Ohio. I used to receive their signal in far Western Union county before WQTT flipped from 98.7 to 96.7. Maybe moving 5-6 miles East would satisfy the protection requirements?

I suppose that is possible. I’ve only received WCSM reliably west of the “Bellefontaine ridge,” although I know you’ve said you live far enough north that you get more Lima stations than you’d hear even a little bit to the south. I did hear WCSM one night at the 33/Scottslawn Road exit back in December 2014 while on my way to St. Marys to visit relatives but I think that was more atmospheric than anything.
    That’s one of the co-channel stations I thought about when I heard WQTT’s translator was moving to 96.7. That and WBVI from Findlay/Fostoria were the two I immediately thought about them having to protect.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  schmave.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php