WQTT FM On Air

RI Community Forums Midwest Columbus WQTT FM On Air

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 53 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  xmusicmatt 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author

chad43358
    Participant

I noticed late last week that the 98.7 was being used, but nothing could be heard. I checked numerous times and couldn’t hear anything except the occasional static (even in Marysville, where I could see the tower they’re using in plain view.) I thought maybe it was a station floating in from a long distace.

Last night I tried again and sure enough, it is now rebroadcasting 1270 WQTT. I didn’t notice the static as much, and was impressed that I was able to pick it up all the way to Hilliard.

schmave
    Participant

Got to listen to 98.7 some on Thursday driving up to Lewis Center and then over to Worthington for work. I started picking it up heading north on 270 around 161, and the reception improved dramatically once I got north of 270. Almost no static around Lewis Center. Very impressive given that 98.9 and its digital sidebands loom right next door.
    Was up north again today and it seemed like 98.7 was off the air.
    On another WQTT note, Thursday apparently was the last day for their afternoon “Rock and Roll Radio Show.” Unfortunate. Ian Graham did a great job with that show and obviously had a lot of fun with it.

chad43358
    Participant

I’m wondering if they’re still tweaking the signal. Some days it comes in around the North West Columbus area, and other days I lose it at 42 coming down 33. Atmospheric conditions could be playing a role as well.

gabigley1
    Participant

On another WQTT note, Thursday apparently was the last day for their afternoon “Rock and Roll Radio Show.” Unfortunate. Ian Graham did a great job with that show and obviously had a lot of fun with it.

I’m curious if this means no more local programming on WQTT? They used to have a locally produced morning and afternoon show.

schmave
    Participant

Hope not gabigley1. Maybe Ian had other life commitments that had to take precedence; at least I hope that is the case rather than the show being jettisoned by management.
    I enjoyed the local morning shows they used to have, but it’s tough to not notice the local content has been cut back. WQTT used to have an overnight paranormal show that was interesting, but that was short-lived (plus I am past the age where I am still up between 1-3 a.m.). They have their morning information shows but those are of limited interest.
    And some of the news “updates” … ok. Listening to a news report at 4:30 on a Monday afternoon recounting a bunch of things that happened Friday, I don’t consider that particularly informational. WNKO has the same issue with their obviously pre-taped afternoon drive news reports. If you’re going to have them, tell me what happened earlier that day, not a bunch of rip-and-reads pulled from the local newspaper. #endrant

Nathan Obral
    Participant

Ian’s page is still up on WQTT’s website. Usually those are jettisoned in Stalin-style Soviet purges, and they have with previous personnel changes at QT.

Possible he’s out on jury duty or something? Did someone hear him say he was fired?

Recorded in Ultra Stereo, the ultimately superior cousin to Normal Stereo!

Tim Anstaett
    Participant

The station decided to let Ian go and end the show, but apparently they’re keeping the door open to his and its possible return, if he can line up some sponsorship. From the show’s Facebook page: “Diplomatic discussions with WQTT have regenerated interest in bringing THE Rock and Roll Radio Show back to the airwaves. The station is looking for sponsors, namely Columbus-area businesses frequented by the local music community.”

chad43358
    Participant

FWIW, I haven’t been able to pick up the FM signal for the last few days. Maybe they were just testing the signal? I did notice some days and certain times of the day the signal was strong or extremely weak in the same general location. As of right now, it’s static.

schmave
    Participant

Glad it’s just not me as far as reception issues. Tried 98.7 the other night when I was in Madison County for work and it was all static. Same on the north side in the past few days. I hope the signal comes back, even though I’ll have to be in other parts of town for work/other purposes to hear it.
    Also good to hear Ian might come back. I won’t stop listening to the station because he’s not there anymore, but liked the show and am surprised (in a good way) that they were that forthright publicly about its status.

chad43358
    Participant

Nope, not just you. I drove right by the tower today and had nothing but static. Actually I was just barely picking up what appeared to be a “Christian” style station, not sure where it was from though.

gabigley1
    Participant

Didn’t WQTT build that widow front studio in beautiful downtown Marysville for local programming? Any way, I liked the locally produced  Morning Jukebox oldies show on WQTT.  That show consisted of 50s to early 70s oldies but that was canceled about a year ago. An awesome locally produced oldies show, I was sadden to see it go. Found this older article on the station: http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/Letters/2015/06/25/local-radio-station-provides-musical-joy-to-central-ohio.html

xmusicmatt
    Participant

Actually I was just barely picking up what appeared to be a “Christian” style station, not sure where it was from though.

Likely 98.7 out of Crestline (near Mansfield OH) it’s a KLove station.

schmave
    Participant

I assume the Crestline station is at least one reason why 98.7 will have to be directional, at least according to the maps I have seen.
    And yes, my understanding was that new studio was there to help showcase the local programming. Definitely a different look now than there was when that studio came up. The local morning show was still on, as were Rick Rantz afternoons and the overnight paranormal show I mentioned earlier in this thread.

chad43358
    Participant

98.7 is back on the air, with a clearer signal than before. However, they need to “turn the volume up” a little. When static starts to present itself, it is louder than the audio.

I drove from Delaware to my home earlier, taking Route 37 and then Route 347. The signal is very, very directional as the map shows. I could see the entire tower and was getting a little static, especially in Pharisburg which is less than 3 miles from the tower as the crow flies. I haven’t driven by the tower yet to see antenna placement, but it can’t be very high at all.

All in all, it’s good to hear them on the FM dial.

schmave
    Participant

I will be on the north side of town tonight, albeit not too far north (right around 270 and 71) and hope I remember to see if I am can pick them up. A few weeks ago when they were first on 98.7, I started hearing the signal between Morse and 161 on 270 with a lot of fuzz from 98.9’s digital sidebands. It improved markedly by the time I hit the 270-71 interchange, and much more still by the time I hit my office in Lewis Center to the point where it was almost static-free. Makes me wonder whether they were running nondirectional then.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php
Skip to toolbar