WRCR 1700 Flips to Radio India

RI Community Forums Northeast Hudson Valley / Albany WRCR 1700 Flips to Radio India

The login box issue should be resolved. If you are still having issues you can still use the alternate link, but please inform us so we can investigate.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Warren Hodges Jr Warren Hodges Jr 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of musicradio77 TV
    musicradio77 TV
    Participant

For those of you have not heard that Marc B at the Dentist board that WRCR is flipping formats to Radio India tomorrow. They have signed a one year LMA. Some of the local programming currently heard on WRCR will be moving online. Any thoughts?

Profile photo of limegrass69
    limegrass69
    Participant

Not much to think about.

High on the dial suburban AM. Very few (and very old) listeners.

This station was destined for sale or LMA from day one.

Look for more of the same…or in some cases, owners simply throwing in the towel.

Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

It’s interesting that the former WRCR programming has moved online. This includes the live Steve & Jordan morning show, which continues to be broadcast live.

Usually when an old format is moved online, it is merely automated. So this is a more ambitious attempt than usual to retain the original programming. I wonder whether this will be viable, in the long run.

Morning host Steve Possell has provided some interesting insights about how unprofitable a local AM station such as WRCR has been.

Profile photo of musicradio77 TV
    musicradio77 TV
    Participant

This is according to WRCR’s Facebook page:

WRCR to Make Regional Programs Available Exclusively via Web and Mobile

“The Morning Show with Steve & Jordan” and other locally-produced programs to stream exclusively from WRCR.com and via mobile apps; Indian-language programming to broadcast over-the-air via AM 1700

For Immediate Release

Pomona, N.Y., November 14, 2016 – WRCR AM 1700 (www.WRCR.com), majority owned and operated by Alexander Broadcasting, Inc., is making its most popular local programs, including “The Steve & Jordan Show,” exclusive to the Internet and mobile apps starting Tuesday, November 15th. Additional original, locally-produced programming, including “The Bigger Picture,” “Live Song Radio with Brian Muni,” “Who Wants to Be a Volunteer?” and others, currently heard on WRCR AM 1700, will be available exclusively as a web-stream from WRCR’s website and via mobile apps, also available through WRCR’s website.

Local weather and up-to-the-minute traffic reports will still be available from WRCR, along with the ABC News Radio network, America’s largest commercial radio news network, offering national and international news from at the top of the hour. The owners of Alexander Broadcasting, Inc. have decided that the best way to use WRCR’s AM broadcast facility, 1700 on the AM radio dial, is to air Indian-language programming from Radio India for the next 12 months.
    “Just as newspapers, magazines, music and other forms of communication have been moving to digital delivery formats, we see the future of radio moving in that direction as well. While the golden age of analog, over-the-air radio had an exciting and memorable past, the future of regional talk and conversation is currently just as robust and as easily accessible via the Internet and mobile apps and will continue to get even better in the future,” said Dr. Alexander Medakovich, President of Alexander Broadcasting Inc. “We look forward to serving our current audience and future listeners with great local, general interest and niche-specific programming,” Dr. Medakovich added.

(845) 362-5070
    [email protected].

Profile photo of Warren Hodges Jr
    Warren Hodges Jr
    Participant

It took an act of congress to obtain FCC approval for Owner Dr. Alexander Medakovich’s Alexander Broadcasting to move 1300 WRCR to expanded dial 1700, outside of the normal window opportunity . He had sited the need for a local station to broadcast emergency information in the event of a accident at Indian Point nuclear Power plant. At the time I was surprised that someone would go through the effort ,let alone the huge financial expense of starting a new station on AM. On the plus side it did give WRCR much better coverage. On 1700 they put a decent listenable signal into my home in Hyde Park, during the day.
    I was further pleasantly surprised at the continued effort in producing extensive live and local programing.
    In the end however, it proved not to be financially viable. Would more automated or satellite have helped. I wonder how long the live and local programing will work with the much smaller internet audience. Leasing to Radio India will at least help pay the bills.
    However, now only people who speak Indian will be notified of an emergency at Indian Point. Even given WRCR’s nice daytime coverage, and decent local night coverage,I wonder how many people that entails.
    Given the state of AM radio I am not totally shocked at this outcome.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register

css.php
Skip to toolbar